Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2020, 08:22 AM   #8161
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

This feels like the year Tre traded Hamilton. I bet it happens.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #8162
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
This feels like the year Tre traded Hamilton. I bet it happens.
Except Hamilton wanted out and Gaudreau wants to stay.

But I do take your point. I think it’s 50/50. If Treliving gets the return he wants, he’ll move him.

Last edited by TOfan; 09-27-2020 at 08:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #8163
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I want stuff to happen.

But, I'm scared of the stuff that might happen.
I'm more scared of nothing happening.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 10:08 AM   #8164
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I have no doubt BT will listen on Gaudreau, I imagine he will listen on anyone not named Tkachuk but Friedman has reported before that the Flames are listening on Gaudreau but not shopping him. I think that is the reality here, if someone makes an offer BT thinks improves the team and he gets value he will do a deal but otherwise he will keep him. I have already said personally I think trading Gaudreau is the right move now that Ward is back because he can't play in that system effectively. They can't sell cheap though. What that guy said about the Flames wanting to trade him for anything good and that they are shopping him around is b.s imo.
I think that’s a fine line on a guy like Gaudreau because the second it’s out that you’re “willing to listen” you might as well just be shopping him because every team will reach out.

They key is what you said though. They just can’t sell cheap. They might be shopping him, but no way Treliving just settles for “anything good”
Old 09-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #8165
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Not a chance BT returns the same roster...like zero.

UFA's alone dictate that. But IMO there will be a deal or 5 made as well. He always does the bulk of his work in the off season...which starts in about a week.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:15 AM   #8166
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I still have faith in Treliving, so I tend to agree but damn some of these god awful rumors that get floated out there by folks who claim to know someone who knows someone are nasty.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:33 AM   #8167
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What about the panthers as a trade partner?

What has to be added to a gaudreau (or monahan) to get ekblad?
Old 09-27-2020, 10:39 AM   #8168
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes we win trades. Remember when we got a 2nd round pick for goddamn RETO BERRA? That was a fun day. Colorado must’ve been drunk on elderberries or something.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:40 AM   #8169
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Spitting Chiclets co-host says Krug's rights are moving tomorrow

Rear Admiral
@RearAdBsBlog
Look for the Bruins to trade Torey Krug's rights tomorrow to a team looking for exclusive negotiations before UFA opens on 10/9. Colorado, Florida, Vegas, and Detroit are among the suitors.
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 10:46 AM   #8170
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
What about the panthers as a trade partner?

What has to be added to a gaudreau (or monahan) to get ekblad?
I feel like Ekblad for Laine is the trade that has to happen

Barkov-Laine would be an elite Finnish duo and Ekblad fits a perfect need for the Jets. Maybe add some other pieces on either side to balance it out
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #8171
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I feel like Ekblad for Laine is the trade that has to happen

Barkov-Laine would be an elite Finnish duo and Ekblad fits a perfect need for the Jets. Maybe add some other pieces on either side to balance it out
Oddly enough I think that Winnipeg adds to that. Laine and Roslovic would be fair.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #8172
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I still have faith in Treliving, so I tend to agree but damn some of these god awful rumors that get floated out there by folks who claim to know someone who knows someone are nasty.
I would have faith if his off-season to do list was re-sign a bunch of RFA’s

A lot less faith considering the list was to evaluate coaching candidates, starting goalies, and the UFA market given his track record

It’s pretty scary to think who he might want to bring in and what he will be willing to give up to do it.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:52 AM   #8173
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Sometimes we win trades. Remember when we got a 2nd round pick for goddamn RETO BERRA? That was a fun day. Colorado must’ve been drunk on elderberries or something.
Who did the 2nd rounder end up being?
Old 09-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #8174
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Hunter Smith
Old 09-27-2020, 10:56 AM   #8175
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Hunter Smith
Imagine if the Flames had gotten Brayden Point with the pick they got for Reto Berra.

What a win that would have been.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 11:06 AM   #8176
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Imagine if the Flames had gotten Brayden Point with the pick they got for Reto Berra.

What a win that would have been.
Point should be a Flame. Friend of mine knows the family well. He wanted to play here, did very well at the top prospects game played in Calgary that year and had great skill and hockey sense. Stars were aligned. Then truculence happened and we draft Hunter Smith. I was genuinely mad about that. Feel like Tre would have went for Point based on recent history.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LIP MAN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #8177
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIP MAN View Post
Point should be a Flame. Friend of mine knows the family well. He wanted to play here, did very well at the top prospects game played in Calgary that year and had great skill and hockey sense. Stars were aligned. Then truculence happened and we draft Hunter Smith. I was genuinely mad about that. Feel like Tre would have went for Point based on recent history.
I feel there is a sense that the Flames particularly whiffed on Point because he is from Calgary. And perhaps there is some truth to that - but I don't know if I agree that it actually is a factor.
He was playing in a league (WHL) and for a team (MooseJaw) that is very well scouted. The entire NHL, including the Bolts, who drafted Jonathan MacLeod ahead of him in the 2nd - missed on Point.

I agree though that the organization now seems to value skill and upside over size and toughness - and that based on that philosophy it is more likely that Point would have been a pick for them.

But then again, I think the entire NHL has evolved in this way. If a Point type of player was a available now - I think he goes in the 1st round.

Credit to the Bolts though - they are where they are because of great drafting (Point, Kucherov, Palat), great trades (Drouin for Sergachev) and just great management overall.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 11:28 AM   #8178
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Every team passed on Point for one reason or another. These things happen all the time.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #8179
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
We also passed on Point to draft Brandon Hickey, who wasn't the most truculent of defensemen. So I think blaming "truculence" doesn't exactly make much sense. Essentially every team passed on Point 2-3 times.

Based on recent history Tre likely would have drafted different people, but to say that it would have been Point is completely baseless. Players like Donato, Dvorak, Montour, Foegle, Wallmark would also be more Treliving like picks.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:36 AM   #8180
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hickey looked really good in his D plus 1 and 2 years. Dude hasn't even played in a single NHL game. Not sure what happened to him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread