Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Travis Munroe | RealtorŪ & Property Manager
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2015, 01:07 PM   #21
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I grew up in the properties from around the late 80's until 1998. Driving around the NE has always been painful and is getting worse. The main routes (32 Ave, 36 Street, 52 Street, 68 Street, Memorial and McKnight are the most painful roads to drive in terms of traffic, volume and lights.
Contrary to this, the road system is better then anywhere else, since it isn't so reliant on any one road - either for N/S or E/W.

North South you can take Barlow, 36th, 52nd, or 68th. (Stoney too, depending on how far you are going)

East West you can take 64th, McKnight, 32nd, 16th, Memorial, 17th, ans that's not even mentioning lots of lesser roads that can be used as alternates (depending on where you are going)

If I want to, I can drive home (Castleridge) from Downtown driving on NONE of the following roads: Memorial, 16th Ave, 32nd Ave, McKnight, Barlow, 36th Street (Metis Trail - combination), 52nd Street, 68th Street, Stoney. The route rarely has any backups anywhere, at any time, and doesn't take me out of my way to any large degree (No more than the major routes do).

If there is construction or an accident on one, the system can adapt. And for the most part, even during rush hours, traffic stays moving, even if a bit slower.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:23 PM   #22
freakinsaprikin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Grew up in the North East and loved it. Live in the Deep South East right now and love it. Don't have a point, but thought I would share anyway.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:43 PM   #23
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Contrary to this, the road system is better then anywhere else, since it isn't so reliant on any one road - either for N/S or E/W.

North South you can take Barlow, 36th, 52nd, or 68th. (Stoney too, depending on how far you are going)

East West you can take 64th, McKnight, 32nd, 16th, Memorial, 17th, ans that's not even mentioning lots of lesser roads that can be used as alternates (depending on where you are going)

If I want to, I can drive home (Castleridge) from Downtown driving on NONE of the following roads: Memorial, 16th Ave, 32nd Ave, McKnight, Barlow, 36th Street (Metis Trail - combination), 52nd Street, 68th Street, Stoney. The route rarely has any backups anywhere, at any time, and doesn't take me out of my way to any large degree (No more than the major routes do).

If there is construction or an accident on one, the system can adapt. And for the most part, even during rush hours, traffic stays moving, even if a bit slower.
You may have more options in traveling on different roads but the main routes of 32, 36 and 52 become congested nightmares with traffic lights on every block (or every second block.) Trying to make left turn across the c-train tracks can be a painful and lengthy endeavour. McKnight, Barlow and 68 usually flow pretty well. Memorial is pretty unpredictable.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #24
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinsaprikin View Post
Grew up in the North East and loved it. Live in the Deep South East right now and love it. Don't have a point, but thought I would share anyway.
You are a very optimistic individual. I'm a born and raised Southie myself, I've had friends that lived all over Calgary with no issues.

In terms of safety this entire City is one of the safest places on earth, regardless of quadrant.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-17-2015, 07:46 AM   #25
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
The bolded part is pretty racist and classist itself.

itself

Won't somebody think of the affluent white people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:08 AM   #26
JRW
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

Won't somebody think of the affluent white people?

And once again you're showing your true colors.

Don't be bitter and blame "affluent white people" for your failures. Clearly you're as racist and bigoted as any white/black/purple person, so you don't have the right to play that card.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:05 PM   #27
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Generally I'd recommend avoiding anywhere east of Deerfoot, however there are some decent areas in the far Northeast (Saddleridge, Coral Springs, etc.). I wouldn't say it's classest or racist to avoid these areas either. The major problem with many areas in the northeast isn't crime but it's that so many properties are poorly maintained which causes entire neighbourhoods to be stigmatized. This is obviously a consequence of lower incomes and a higher proportion of rental housing in the northeast, but why would you buy property there if you could afford to be elsewhere in the city?

If you're looking for mid to long term value and can stand living through a transition period I'd suggest looking in areas such as Albert Park, Radisson Heights, Southview, Forest Lawn, or Mayland Heights. These communities are the only places within a 5-6 kilometre radius of Downtown Calgary that haven't yet gentrified and it's only a matter of time before infill activity spills across Deerfoot. The proximity to the core that you get for a relatively low price is fantastic.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #28
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Last edited by RedMileDJ; 08-31-2015 at 12:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedMileDJ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2015, 03:39 PM   #29
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Last edited by RedMileDJ; 08-31-2015 at 12:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedMileDJ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2015, 07:37 PM   #30
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I grew up in Whitehorn and currently work. I would live there again (in some places).
Old 01-18-2015, 09:05 PM   #31
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post

Much of this is true, but there are definitely trouble spots all over the NE. I guess it just depends on when you travel and avoiding them. For example, 32nd Ave can be a complete clusterfata sometimes, especially around deerfoot. McKnight can get pretty bad as well, although I haven't had to travel it much. 36th street is just poorly planned with all the lights and street level c-train crossings; 52nd usually isn't bad aside from the 50 km speed limit between 16th and Memorial

EDIT: Oops, totally missed calgarygeologist's post.

Last edited by tvp2003; 01-18-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:44 PM   #32
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is Bridgeland?
Old 02-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #33
lorenavedon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Much of this is true, but there are definitely trouble spots all over the NE. I guess it just depends on when you travel and avoiding them. For example, 32nd Ave can be a complete clusterfata sometimes, especially around deerfoot. McKnight can get pretty bad as well, although I haven't had to travel it much. 36th street is just poorly planned with all the lights and street level c-train crossings; 52nd usually isn't bad aside from the 50 km speed limit between 16th and Memorial

EDIT: Oops, totally missed calgarygeologist's post.
when I lived near 36th, the time it took me to make a left turn at the tracks coming home from work was longer than the drive from downtown to that point lol. Literally it would be a 15 minute wait at the lights between all the trains and every turn was an arrow. Probably the worst road in Calgary to cross
Old 02-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #34
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
How is Bridgeland?
Bridgeland is wicked. Probably the best NE address.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:43 PM   #35
lorenavedon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
How is Bridgeland?
not many amenities within a close walking distance such as a major grocery store, etc is the biggest negative.
The Following User Says Thank You to lorenavedon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2015, 05:48 PM   #36
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Shut uppa you face.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2015, 10:01 AM   #37
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenavedon View Post
not many amenities within a close walking distance such as a major grocery store, etc is the biggest negative.
Ill see if I can find the article but I believe a large grocery store is very close to being in Bridgeland.
In terms of NE addresses - Bridgeland and Renfrew are more NW communities than they are NE due to being west of Deerfoot. I think you would be hard pressed to find anywhere else in the city where you can go from million dollar homes to 350,000 homes so quickly by simply driving over a bridge.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 02-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #38
Swiss
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am also a born and raised Calgarian, who grow up in the SE and currently live in the SW. I also have that feeling about the NE and would never even consider buying there. With that in mind I did live in Crecent heights for a year, but don't really consider it NE because its West of Deerfoot. One other thing to consider about the NE is the airplane traffice the planes are much lower which results in more noise. Just a thought to consider
Old 02-24-2015, 01:23 PM   #39
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
Ill see if I can find the article but I believe a large grocery store is very close to being in Bridgeland.
In terms of NE addresses - Bridgeland and Renfrew are more NW communities than they are NE due to being west of Deerfoot. I think you would be hard pressed to find anywhere else in the city where you can go from million dollar homes to 350,000 homes so quickly by simply driving over a bridge.
I think Bridgeland ended up inheriting a ton of crap from downtown back when they made a concerted effort to clean up the core. Cecil closes and the surrounding crime & vagrancy simply and easily crosses over the Langevin bridge.

Probably gotten a little better since but here are some experiences from people like the President of the community association and such.

http://www.calgaryjournalonline.ca/s...crime-increase
Old 02-25-2015, 12:34 AM   #40
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bridgeland is such a great community in my opinion. I'd honestly not been there in so many years, so for 2015' it's one of my favourite places to go in Calgary. Some of the best restaurants and a great vibe. The resurgence and rebuilding are wonderful. Great proximity to downtown, not without it's troubles which i'm sure any community that close would experience.