Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #41
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Here is my even easier accessed data.

Bennett on a 27 point pace...yet again. Playing 14 minutes a night including 1:30 PP time per game.

Frolik on a 36 point pace with :05 PP time a game, 12 minutes a game...etc etc

2nd line needs offensive production...as in secondary scoring.

One guy is miles better than the other at providing it although I agree neither is a long term answer.
If you look at five on five stats Frolik is 1.56/60 minutes in point production. Bennett is 1.41/60 minutes in point production.

Not a big gap. So enough with the "full stop" and "miles better" ... neither are true.

And I agree ... neither is likely a long term answer.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #42
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
in the dream world that i live in we got to keep Ferland in the Canes deal and we never signed James Neal. I think a line of Bennett - Janko - Ferland could have been a lot of fun
Amen!
Old 01-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #43
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
27% of Frolik’s points this season and 33% of his goals are thanks to an empty net.
Ya and? He is still outpacing Bennett.

That just means he is good enough and reliable enough to be out there at crucial moments.

Bennett has played over 60 minutes on the PP...2 points. 2.

Frolik has declined somewhat, but he is still a much better option than Bennett and his abysmal offensive production.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #44
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
can you rerun those stats after removing the three frolik empty net goals that he has this season?

THose would likely be increasing his stats and they shouldn't be counted.
There is no guarantee Bennett would have converted on the empty netters. Bennett might have put 2 of those pucks 10 rows deep in the stands.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #45
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

That just means he is good enough and reliable enough to be out there at crucial moments.

Frolik has declined somewhat, but he is still a much better option than Bennett and his abysmal offensive production.
They're virtually the same in production.

1.56/60 vs 1.41/60 with an average of 11 minutes of five on five time per game is the equivalent of one or two points over the course of a season.

You can have a favourite, but there's no five on five chasm between these players.

Neither are full on 2nd line options at this point in their careers, hence the need to keep switching things up.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:48 PM   #46
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Please, can we please mix up PP2 for a while and see what happens? Can we please try Rasmus on the point? Throw someone in front of the net? Look for traffic, shots and ugly rebound goals? All I know is that unit does not have the skill to be making fancy passing plays.......just get it back to the point and rip it. I don't care at all how predictable it is.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #47
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Glad Rittich is good to go.

3M has looked pretty good the past 2 games, not sure why they moved Frolik.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #48
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
If you look at five on five stats Frolik is 1.56/60 minutes in point production. Bennett is 1.41/60 minutes in point production.

Not a big gap. So enough with the "full stop" and "miles better" ... neither are true.

And I agree ... neither is likely a long term answer.
If it's all the same to you, I think I will keep those opinions as i believe they are entirely true.

Bennett simply isn't good enough to warrant second line minutes, and perhaps Frolik is no longer good enough either, but Frolik is much better suited than Sam and that is all i said to begin with. You disagree....good, as that is what discussion is supposed to be.

If this is Peters just trying to get something out of Bennett no one else has, then I guess that's fine but I think we have enough data and sample size to conclude it very likely isn't going to happen. Square peg/round hole thing...though this club always seems to have one or more of those going on.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #49
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Please, can we please mix up PP2 for a while and see what happens? Can we please try Rasmus on the point? Throw someone in front of the net? Look for traffic, shots and ugly rebound goals? All I know is that unit does not have the skill to be making fancy passing plays.......just get it back to the point and rip it. I don't care at all how predictable it is.
Remove Neal and Bennett to start...add a Jankowski and Frolik.

See what happens anyhow.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #50
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
If it's all the same to you, I think I will keep those opinions as i believe they are entirely true.

Bennett simply isn't good enough to warrant second line minutes, and perhaps Frolik is no longer good enough either, but Frolik is much better suited than Sam and that is all i said to begin with. You disagree....good, as that is what discussion is supposed to be.

If this is Peters just trying to get something out of Bennett no one else has, then I guess that's fine but I think we have enough data and sample size to conclude it very likely isn't going to happen. Square peg/round hole thing...though this club always seems to have one or more of those going on.
I've agreed that neither are good 2nd line options at this point, but the team has little else.

I don't even disagree on Bennett's future, and that with every passing game it's more and more unlikely that he's going to be a full on 2nd line player.

I just don't see this chasm between Frolik and Bennett that you think is a runway, slam dunk given. They are microscopically separated in almost every single measure ... production or underlying.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:56 PM   #51
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
27% of Frolik’s points this season and 33% of his goals are thanks to an empty net.
Yes but it takes excellent defensive execution to get those empty net chances.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 12:58 PM   #52
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
Yes but it takes excellent defensive execution to get those empty net chances.
Nobody is debating Frolik is a great shut down player, but that's not the way to build a resume for second line duty
Old 01-04-2019, 01:06 PM   #53
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is there a place to look up avg TOI/PP? I would think that the 2nd unit often only pick-up 20-40 seconds of PP time per opportunity, typically starting from their own zone after the PK clears the puck.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:08 PM   #54
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansmack View Post
Is there a place to look up avg TOI/PP? I would think that the 2nd unit often only pick-up 20-40 seconds of PP time per opportunity, typically starting from their own zone after the PK clears the puck.
That's a good question, and this is probably true of most cases, but there are certainly also instances when Peters starts the second unit on the powerplay. He did it last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #55
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

When has Frolik impacted a game when he doesn’t score? At least Bennett rocks guys, fights, agitates and gets under the other teams skin. As Bingo has pointed out there numbers are identical but Froliks empty netters support your take he is outpacing Bennett. I would prefer to give the younger guy the opportunity when their impact is similar.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #56
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansmack View Post
Interesting ...

I pulled the powerplay data and then removed the top five powerplay guys from each team by ice time. Then I totalled the point totals on the powerplay and total minutes for all remaining players by team.

Calgary is ranked 29th in terms of powerplay production per minute played of all players not in the top five of the powerplay in terms of minutes.

The non top five is 7th in ice time in the NHL with over 500 minutes and only 15 total scoring points.

Calgary's top five is obvious ... they are ranked 4th in total scoring points as a top unit and 6th in output by minute.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #57
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

The optimist inside me thinks that Smith needs to look at some video with his coaches and sort some things out. Hopefully there's still a chance of redemption. Really good news about Rittich though
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #58
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
When has Frolik impacted a game when he doesn’t score? At least Bennett rocks guys, fights, agitates and gets under the other teams skin. As Bingo has pointed out there numbers are identical but Froliks empty netters support your take he is outpacing Bennett. I would prefer to give the younger guy the opportunity when their impact is similar.
Frolik is one of the best wingers on the team defensively ... getting out of your own zone is important in getting into the opposition zone, but then I don't think he's the driving force that Bennett can be.

I think that's why Peters goes back and forth. He's taking two incomplete players and trying to find one of them that can complement two guys that are built to contribute.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #59
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I often come away from games thinking we'd really miss Bennett if he was out personally.

We played a bunch of soft games at the start of the season, and the wins were tougher to come by largely because of it. It was pretty clear we needed a little more grit or we'd be playing intimidated all season.

On Nov 1, Bennett turned his season around entirely IMO and hasn't looked back

I think for a lot of people, that Colorado game was the real turning point from 'potential' to 'it's happening' and that fight had everything to do with that W.

Goal-scoring... he needs to get there. But I love what he brings to the top-9 outside of the scoresheet
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #60
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
There is no guarantee Bennett would have converted on the empty netters. Bennett might have put 2 of those pucks 10 rows deep in the stands.
Yeah or they would be disallowed EN goals (goaltender interference)
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post: