Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #81
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
Did I just read that by the end of their careers you think Tkachuk and McDavid will be looked at as equals? Good lord.
No, you didn't read that. I picked my words very carefully to avoid being confused with saying they will be looked at as equals. You read that I think at the end of their careers, they could be closely associated with or suggestive of each others careers. I also pointed out that Oilers fans shouldn't take his career and talents for granted, and that a team around McDavid will be important to winning.

Do you think that McDavid will be a better leader? The two play the game very differently. I think there will be an obvious answer when the debate comes to a 1v1, but speed and skill aren't the end of these debates. There are plenty in the league that are more talented that the captains on great teams - and there are captains you'd take over Ovechkin as well I'm sure.

I do think that Tkachuk will be a very important part of this team for a very long time - at least he's projecting to be. At a time where we celebrate the best Flame of all time, it's not absurd to think that Tkachuk could be the next one to rise to those heights. And if he does, it's going to be as a great leader with excellent 2-way play who isn't afraid to get into the tough areas. To some people, that might be more important than the ability to solo a few goals a game.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #82
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
Did I just read that by the end of their careers you think Tkachuk and McDavid will be looked at as equals? Good lord.
I think it's a fair assessment to make that the two will be equal players in each team's success moving forward. It is pretty clear the OP was not suggesting they would be putting up the same type of production.

If Tkachuk is putting up 30+ goal campaigns with regularity over the next decade to go along with his tenacity and two way play, he would surely be on par with McDavid as far as value to the team is concerned.

For comparisons sake, how many players would you argue are more valuable to their team currently than someone like Brad Marchand has been the last few years? It isn't all about speed and finesse despite what the media like to preach.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 08-13-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #83
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good interview with Tkachuk posted today. I love this kid's attitude. He's definitely future captain material.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/man-...on/c-299823934

Quote:
"We need a great year,'' Tkachuk says with typical bluntness. "We have to have one. I mean, it's time to really start dialing it in.

"It's time to expect great things out of ourselves and out of our team. We should all have high hopes, high expectations."
Quote:
"These guys,'' says Tkachuk, "expect to win. Whether you signed on as a free agent or are here via trade, you're coming to Calgary because you see the team we have and can envision success.

"I'm not speaking from experience, of course, but a guy like James Neal, I assume, is even hungrier to get back to a final, and finish the job this time, after the past two years. And he chose Calgary as potentially the place to do that.

"That excites me.
Quote:
"I more look it at as everyone on our team, in our organization, has pressure on themselves,'' he says. "Whether you have one year left on your deal, two years or seven or eight. Whether you're a veteran or in your first, second or third years.

"You cannot think about yourself - at all.

"For us, it's all about the team.

"I know a lot of guys are sick about how the last couple years have gone. What are our goals as a team this year and what as an individual can you do to help achieve those goals (is the mission).

"That's the only thing that matters.

"If people are putting themselves ahead of the group this year, I don't want that around. And I know nobody else does, either.

"We have to believe in ourselves, what we're capable of, and we can do great things."
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 62 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 05:42 PM   #84
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If people are putting themselves ahead of the group this year, I don't want that around. And I know nobody else does, either.
Hmmmmmmmm... very interesting.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #85
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We are all expecting the same. This team didn't fill out its potential the past two seasons. Now they've got even more help. Its time to move from a walk to a sprint. Very little reason not to at this point. Its no longer 'too early yet' - it's time.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #86
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If people are putting themselves ahead of the group this year, I don't want that around. And I know nobody else does, either.
I'm not saying he's talking about Dougie Hamilton.....but....

He's talking about Dougie Hamilton.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #87
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe at all the players' exit interviews, they mentioned Dougie had a me-first attitude so the GM shipped him off.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:54 PM   #88
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

How can you not love Tkachuk. Kid is captain material.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:05 PM   #89
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
How can you not love Tkachuk. Kid is captain material.
I love Tkachuk as much as I love any player and I think he is fundamental to the Flames's future success. However, I still am not convinced that he would be a natural choice to captain the team. I would worry that assuming a more public persona as the team's on-ice representative would interfere with elements of his game that make him such an effective player. Moreover, as I have stated on a number of other occasions, since I don't believe that wearing a letter has much bearing on an individual player's effectiveness nor a team's success, I also remain persuaded that it would likewise make no difference for Tkachuk. He's going to be great regardless of whether or what letter he sports on his jersey, and the Flames are not going to be any better or worse off for it.

With all that said, Tkachuk is a gem, and I think he will flirt with 30-goals this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #90
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Maybe at all the players' exit interviews, they mentioned Dougie had a me-first attitude so the GM shipped him off.
Except Dougies. Because he didn’t want one.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:57 PM   #91
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Except Dougies. Because he didn’t want one.
Again, it wasn't the exit interviews. It was media.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2018, 10:05 PM   #92
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Again, it wasn't the exit interviews. It was media.
Oh I must have missed that clarification. Thanks.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:53 PM   #93
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I'm not saying he's talking about Dougie Hamilton.....but....

He's talking about Dougie Hamilton.

I can think of maybe 2 or 3 players and 2 are no longer on the team.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:20 AM   #94
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tkachuk jersey inc.

Still one of my favourite moments:

ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ASP#26525 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2018, 03:11 AM   #95
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
However, I still am not convinced that he would be a natural choice to captain the team. I would worry that assuming a more public persona as the team's on-ice representative would interfere with elements of his game that make him such an effective player.
I don't know about that. His dad wore the C in Winnipeg and Phoenix for a number of years and the A in St Louis and it didn't take the edge off his game.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:16 AM   #96
Madrox
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
If the Flames don't win a Cup with a C on Giordano's chest, I'm confident they will with one on Tkachuk's.

This kid is driven to succeed, and he wants to do it here. We're a lucky bunch to have that kind of talent, passion, drive and (surely) leadership wearing our team's jersey.

We're allowed to be pessimistic as Flames fans, as we've already had someone with those same traits dedicate himself to our team. But the roster Tkachuk is playing with is wildly different than what Iggy was afforded. Granted, they had a Kipper... but we're not worried about getting a center that can play at his level.

The league fawns over the what the Oilers have in McDavid, but I have a feeling that at the end of their careers these two will be talked about synonymously
. Maybe McDavid's speed and hands will be a nod to the McDavid camp, but they are heated debates when they spark up. The north should fear a lost opportunity this time around. The odds would be pretty tilted towards the Flames if they were both sitting that game out.

It's exciting times!

That's a silly statement. I get what you're going for in terms of importance to team, but Marchand will never be talked about in the same breath as Crosby, and that's what we're talking about. McDavid is one of the top NHL players without much help, and I don't want to see what he could do with some actual backup. In the mid to late 80s, we had a bunch of players that any team in the league would have loved to have, but no one would have taken any of them over Gretzky. That doesn't make them worse, and if the 89 Flames played 10 series against any Oilers team, I'd expect them to at least draw even, and if put to it I would bet on them, but it would still be a silly thing to say that they'd rather have any of those players over Gretzky.
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 03:30 AM   #97
Madrox
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I don't know about that. His dad wore the C in Winnipeg and Phoenix for a number of years and the A in St Louis and it didn't take the edge off his game.

That's fair, but it was a different game, and Keith was closer to a power forward IMO, and Matthew is closer to a scoring agitator in the vein of someone like Marchand or Perry.
Madrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:27 AM   #98
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrox View Post
That's a silly statement. I get what you're going for in terms of importance to team, but Marchand will never be talked about in the same breath as Crosby, and that's what we're talking about. McDavid is one of the top NHL players without much help, and I don't want to see what he could do with some actual backup. In the mid to late 80s, we had a bunch of players that any team in the league would have loved to have, but no one would have taken any of them over Gretzky. That doesn't make them worse, and if the 89 Flames played 10 series against any Oilers team, I'd expect them to at least draw even, and if put to it I would bet on them, but it would still be a silly thing to say that they'd rather have any of those players over Gretzky.
I didn't say that people would go out of their way to compare them, but I do think that there is a battle to be had.

You don't compare Marchand to McDavid because there's no link. Not many people get too hyped up for the Boston vs Edmonton game.

But a teams two stars in a rivalry are usually linked, and I think that Tkachuk will be important enough to make those conversations interesting.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:42 AM   #99
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give this man 8 years.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #100
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Give this man 8 years.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: