Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2018, 08:51 AM   #1601
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty sleazy, but what part about it is illegal? If I were to go around asking for empties for my kids to go to camp, but then ended up just pocketing it and buying some beer that's unethical, but illegal?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:53 AM   #1602
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It's pretty sleazy, but what part about it is illegal? If I were to go around asking for empties for my kids to go to camp, but then ended up just pocketing it and buying some beer that's unethical, but illegal?
Yeah, it's called fraud.

EDIT: Also there's a difference between a few empties and a lumpsum of cash.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:56 AM   #1603
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It reminds me of those people that pretend to have cancer and then get fund raisers in their benefit. Not truly as evil but the same idea.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:52 AM   #1604
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
PIMKing?
Oh yeah, Ian Demler, the scam artist who took advantage of our good will and swindled this community for thousands(?) of dollars. I think he was from Alabama? Guess I shouldn't use his real name, in case any potential employers or romantic interests are googling him. Ian Demler.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #1605
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The three are being charged with this:

Quote:
All three are facing second-degree theft by deception and conspiracy to commit theft by deception
So that's the illegal part.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #1606
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Oh yeah, Ian Demler, the scam artist who took advantage of our good will and swindled this community for thousands(?) of dollars. I think he was from Alabama? Guess I shouldn't use his real name, in case any potential employers or romantic interests are googling him. Ian Demler.
Ian Demler, the one that stole money from us with a fake story, so that he could buy steroids Ian Demler? Yeah, didn't he move to Florida and pull the same scam on a weightlifting board?

Can't believe I gave that scam artist Ian Demler $25. Didn't we raise something like $5,000? Is that enough for the cops to charge Ian Demler?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #1607
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Ian Demler, the one that stole money from us with a fake story, so that he could buy steroids Ian Demler? Yeah, didn't he move to Florida and pull the same scam on a weightlifting board?

Can't believe I gave that scam artist Ian Demler $25. Didn't we raise something like $5,000? Is that enough for the cops to charge Ian Demler?
Ian Demler who also goes by the alias Krampus1313 on Reddit? that Ian Demler?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #1608
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That was such a weird deal...
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:25 PM   #1609
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Warning: pictures and story contain images and descriptions of animal cruelty

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...tion-1.4911574

I hope these little ####ers get the book thrown at them. How disgusting. I don't love coyotes but they're just animals ffs, and these monsters tormented this one and killed it in the most inhumane way they could. Disgusted doesn't cover it.

You just bet that when they get charged they're going to make up some sob story about this coyote killing one of their dogs or biting their sweet truck or some other lie. God damn it I am so angry I wish I didn't read the story.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #1610
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Warning: pictures and story contain images and descriptions of animal cruelty

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...tion-1.4911574

I hope these little ####ers get the book thrown at them. How disgusting. I don't love coyotes but they're just animals ffs, and these monsters tormented this one and killed it in the most inhumane way they could. Disgusted doesn't cover it.

You just bet that when they get charged they're going to make up some sob story about this coyote killing one of their dogs or biting their sweet truck or some other lie. God damn it I am so angry I wish I didn't read the story.
Agreed. Maybe it’s because I’m a dog guy, but I’m surprised by how upset this story has made me. Sometimes you have to kill an animal, for food or to end suffering. It’s not something that I’ve ever seen anyone take pleasure in. These kids are psychopaths.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #1611
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

American Reportedly Killed In Flurry Of Arrows As Tribe Defends Its Island Off India

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/21/66990...hsjRXroegNmatY

This missionary put this remote tribe at great risk - could have exposed them to diseases they have no resistance to.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #1612
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could also be in the WMMH thread. Dumbass trying to spread Christianity at all costs. Cost him his life.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #1613
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never understood what drives these people try to convert others to their religion. So stupid. Just let people be, and if for whatever reason people were supposed to believe in a god, they would have. It would be part of our primal instincts.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2018, 01:59 PM   #1614
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully they just leave his body there. He's buried. It's over. Don't make things worse. And tell these GD missionaries to mind their own business. Go preach to the choir, no one else cares.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #1615
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I met a group of children today - a three year old had red confederate flag sneakers on.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #1616
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
I have never understood what drives these people try to convert others to their religion. So stupid. Just let people be, and if for whatever reason people were supposed to believe in a god, they would have. It would be part of our primal instincts.
And why do you want to crowd heaven up with a bunch of degenerates?

That part always annoyed me most. “It’s so great, you want it too”. No... no I don’t. You do you, I’m cool.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #1617
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

I've always thought the exact opposite.

I reckon if you really believe there's an eternal man in the sky who has prescribed laws for how to live your life, and who is watching you every moment of the day to see if your performance is good enough to get into everlasting paradise or, failing that, everlasting pain, then you should do everything you can to spread that message and try to save people from the horrific consequences of their own behaviour.

It's really the only charitable thing to do. The alternative is to let people go to their doom without lifting a finger to save them.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #1618
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The alternative is to mind your own ####ing business.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #1619
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
I've always thought the exact opposite.

I reckon if you really believe there's an eternal man in the sky who has prescribed laws for how to live your life, and who is watching you every moment of the day to see if your performance is good enough to get into everlasting paradise or, failing that, everlasting pain, then you should do everything you can to spread that message and try to save people from the horrific consequences of their own behaviour.

It's really the only charitable thing to do. The alternative is to let people go to their doom without lifting a finger to save them.
But why wouldn’t they already know this if you do?

(This question I guess is tied with the first post to complete my thought. And it’s genuinely a question).
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #1620
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
But why wouldn’t they already know this if you do?

(This question I guess is tied with the first post to complete my thought. And it’s genuinely a question).

A number of reasons, I suppose.

The most classic one fits the "white man's burden" archetype of Christian missions: the poor savages were never given the information, were never taught the right values, never heard the message, and it's up to us to save them.

I think that same idea gets adapted to less traditional contexts, i.e., they may have heard a message, but not the right message. Or they just didn't understand it. Or their life circumstances prevented them from hearing it. Or their parents were heathens. Or they watched too much MTV.

And at an extreme: even if they did hear the message, and did reject it, it's still a missionary's job to keep at them, keep knocking on their door, ultimately to save them from themselves.

To me that sense of morality has a logic to it. It's the same thing that could justify forcibly taking an opioid addict off the street, incarcerating them, pushing them through treatment they don't want and persistently object to. You're not doing it to be mean, you're doing it to save them, even if they say they don't want to be saved.

I mean, hey, don't we all want to be saved from eternal misery?
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote