Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #41
WCW Nitro
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

He was also The Shark in WCW, and probably is the answer to the question which wrestler had the most gimmicks which were also names of NHL teams
WCW Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WCW Nitro For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #42
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I do think Iggy has a little left in the tank and he showed it when he played with LA at the end of the 16-17 season.

I know a lot of people like to point to his time in Colorado and say negative things about him and the team, but I don't know if its an accurate description when looking at things from HIS perspective.

I believe he was offered a 4 year deal from NY Islanders and a 3 year deal from Colorado. He wanted to stay in Boston and Boston wanted him, he came off a 30 goal season and a President's Trophy there. Right or wrong, he felt Colorado offered a better chance to win than the Islanders, who were in the midst of non stop ownership issues, arena issues and general disaster.

Colorado the year before he signed won their division, had 100+ points, had an absolute stud of a center in MacKinnon who won the Calder at a super young age, had goalie who was a finalist for the Vezina with 40+ wins, had other quality young players and more.

The coach, Patrick Roy won the Jack Adams that year and the GM is Joe Sakic. By any measure of hockey knowledge this should have been a team on the upward trajectory, perhaps not a shoe in to win a cup, but certainty not a history making run of complete hot garbage.

You have all of the above, including some of the biggest and most successful names of the game, players YOU have played against and with and had success with at the Olympics calling you. What would you do? It didn't work out but if any fan on this board has the capabilities to pick the top teams to be bottom feeders, than show us your betting tickets and bet the farm.

He probably won't get a contract if he is indeed trying to get one but best of luck. It's not so much that HE can't play the game anymore, it's that the game has changed in ways that doesn't allow for much in the way of older players. Look at contracts now. Previously players hit UFA status at what? 30, 31? Now if somebody signs a 31 year old to a big contract that GM is out of touch.

Best of luck Iggy!!! One of your biggest fans now and always.
Thx for the memories!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:46 PM   #43
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Iginla already had a better retirement from Calgary than anything the Flames organization could put together. December 10, 2013 was his first game back to the Dome. The opening ceremony was devoted to him, and brought him to tears. Then he was awarded 3rd star (in spite of no points) and when he came to take his skate the rest of the Bruins filled the bench, making him do a couple of laps around the Dome to a standing ovation.

I can't find a video of the star ceremony, but found one of the opening. Have a watch and tell me if there is anything the Flames could do that would compare to the raw emotion seen here.

I would think the Flames DID put that together....no?
Old 07-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #44
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Nitro View Post

He was also The Shark in WCW, and probably is the answer to the question which wrestler had the most gimmicks which were also names of NHL teams
He also had a brief stint as Golga

iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:30 PM   #45
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

On my NHL 18 game I just signed him to a 1 year deal. He can fight, shoot the puck still and play 4th line minutes better then Brouwer.

If he hangs them up I will be sad but he should retire a Flame
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 07:50 PM   #46
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I bet 25 internet points he scores 15 goals this season.
I think David Jones has a better chance at 15 goals this year than Iginla.

Wait...you didn't specify a league. That makes this prediction extremely likely. Kudos to your vagueness.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #47
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It could just be that he hasn't got around to filing the papers yet. It's not that unusual. It's not like he needs the pension right away.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a PTO with a team this fall so he can test himself and then make a final decision.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:48 PM   #48
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Well said. Plus if there’s one more thing this team could use... it’s more energy from the crowd at the dome. Feels like fans are waiting for something to happen before they get loud on home ice. During the 2004-2009 years, the crowd was crazy from start to finish. Iginla would have this city buzzing more than any player available to bring in at this point... at least to start the season. And a strong, confident start to the season is so important for this team.

Buy out Brouwer and give iginla one more shot! The fans will love it! And I think he still has something left. Put him on the left side of the powerplay and let him bomb shots all day getting feeds from Johnny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think some of you are forgetting how Iggy starts seasons
Old 07-11-2018, 12:33 AM   #49
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I - and most of the posters on this site - have no clue how much Iginla has left in the tank or not.

Remember when Selanne took a year off and came back? Totally reinvigorated. Selanne was 33, and in the last season before the lockout he played 78 games, scored 16 goals and 32 points. He was slow, his body was tired... the lockout came and Selanne opted to just rest his body and see what happens. At the age of 35, he came back and scored 40 goals and 50 assists in a full 82 games. Not saying you can expect that out of Iginla of course, but fixing a nagging injury and letting his body rest may have done him some good. We all know he trains exceptionally hard and is one of the fittest guys in the NHL. Who knows?

Or maybe he is absolutely done and is no longer NHL caliber.

I think it is either a PTO this year, or a late-season signing if a return to the NHL happens, probably to a team that wants to shore-up some toughness, depth and leadership. If not, then I expect a late-season one day signing in Calgary to send him off properly.

And yes, I do think that if the Flames do it right - which I think they would - there would be tears in the stands and on the ice that night.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:17 AM   #50
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how many posters in this thread have gotten divorces after a long marriage and then years later hooked up for cheap sex...

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:04 AM   #51
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
I wonder how many posters in this thread have gotten divorces after a long marriage and then years later hooked up for cheap sex...

You want to have sex with Jarome? I'm pretty sure he's already married bro.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #52
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I would think the Flames DID put that together....no?
I guess my thinking there was that the crowd response is what drove the emotion. For example, the Flames did not get us to start chanting "Iggy, Iggy!" Nor do I think they had any idea we would continue the ovation that long.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post: