Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Thoughts on the James Neal signing?
Love It 411 46.55%
Love the add, worried about the term 328 37.15%
Neutral 30 3.40%
Wait and see 71 8.04%
Hate it 43 4.87%
Voters: 883. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #641
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Marchand has been suspended for a total of 19 games. And if the league office hadn't been playing favourites, probably would have had a dozen more, at least.
And Neal kneed him in the head! So as long as he is only kneeing guys in the head with more suspensions then him I’m ok with it !
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #642
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think you have to see if a bennett - lindholm - tkachuk can produce. If it can you have a solid line that can be locked up for years due to their age.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Husky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2018, 10:21 PM   #643
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t know if someone has already said this, but Treliving signed Neal for $0.1035M less than Cane’s prediction.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:25 PM   #644
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
I think you have to see if a bennett - lindholm - tkachuk can produce. If it can you have a solid line that can be locked up for years due to their age.
I sincerely believe that this is our best chance at sparking bennett too.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2018, 11:14 PM   #645
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who the heck is Cane? and why do we care about his predications? It's in multiple threads
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2018, 07:00 AM   #646
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Who the heck is Cane? and why do we care about his predications? It's in multiple threads
Math guy from Boston that went to a tonne of work to marry age, production, route to the NHL, age into a model to predict where every unsigned player can be projected.

He's been pretty bang on so far.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2018, 08:55 AM   #647
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Math guy from Boston that went to a tonne of work to marry age, production, route to the NHL, age into a model to predict where every unsigned player can be projected.

He's been pretty bang on so far.
You are more generous than I would be with bang on

That he’s in the neighbourhood enough to be close sometimes is impressive. He’s also in another postal code sometimes. If he’s +- 20 or 30% on average that’s a lot.

Should add - I’m not knocking the guy. He’s put it out there so I’m sure will get closer and closer. And maybe the actual will show I am wrong.

Last edited by Bend it like Bourgeois; 07-08-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bend it like Bourgeois For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #648
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the impressive part is that it's quantified and calculated. We weigh so many factors in our minds when guessing what a contract will be, so to put that into software is pretty cool.

Plus, contracts are human decisions in the end of the day. There's only so much a program can do to 'read minds' without actually taking into account the GM and team signing offering the contract. Which now that I think of it, is probably the next level for this program.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:38 AM   #649
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
You are more generous than I would be with bang on

That he’s in the neighbourhood enough to be close sometimes is impressive. He’s also in another postal code sometimes. If he’s +- 20 or 30% on average that’s a lot.

Should add - I’m not knocking the guy. He’s put it out there so I’m sure will get closer and closer. And maybe the actual will show I am wrong.
Well predicting the future is really tough. So you have to give him credit he's been so close so often.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:18 PM   #650
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Like the line but I actually think I’d try Bennett at Center first. I know he’s been wildly unsuccessful so far but those are two quality linemates and I think he’d have a chance.

Gaudreau-Mony-Neal
Tkachuk-Bennett-Lindholm
Frolik-Backlund-Ryan
Hathaway-Janko-Czarnik

Looks like pretty damn good depth. Don’t like burying Janko on 4th, maybe he could put in some time at wing on the backlund line. Or maybe Janko shows off really good this camp and takes Bennett’s spot on the second. Regardless there’s a lot of nice options available.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 06:24 AM   #651
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
Like the line but I actually think I’d try Bennett at Center first. I know he’s been wildly unsuccessful so far but those are two quality linemates and I think he’d have a chance.
I don't think it's about having a chance with good linemates as much as just Bennett just not being well suited for center in the NHL.

Center requires a cerebral and steady player who must be concerned with defensive responsibilities. Bennett is a hard-nosed, north/south player who wants to get to the opponent's net as quickly as possible. His style is much better suited to the wing, whereas Lindholm's game has more patience better suited as a centerman.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:22 AM   #652
Camronius
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post

Gaudreau-Mony-Neal
Tkachuk-Bennett-Lindholm
Frolik-Backlund-Ryan
Hathaway-Janko-Czarnik

Looks like pretty damn good depth. Don’t like burying Janko on 4th, maybe he could put in some time at wing on the backlund line. Or maybe Janko shows off really good this camp and takes Bennett’s spot on the second. Regardless there’s a lot of nice options available.
I think you stick Bennett with Backlund and Frolik, give him the no pressure opportunity that Tkachuk had. If you can't make it with those two, then that says a lot.

Johnny-Mony-X
Tkachuk-Lindholm-X
Frolik-Backlund-Bennett
X-Ryan-X
Camronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #653
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camronius View Post
I think you stick Bennett with Backlund and Frolik, give him the no pressure opportunity that Tkachuk had. If you can't make it with those two, then that says a lot.

Johnny-Mony-X
Tkachuk-Lindholm-X
Frolik-Backlund-Bennett
X-Ryan-X
That's not a low-pressure position. That group regularly faces the top opponents.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:01 PM   #654
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Johnny-Mony-X
Tkachuk-Lindholm-X
Frolik-Backlund-Bennett
X-Ryan-X
"Give him the no pressure opportunity"

*Sticks him on the shutdown line that faces the toughest opponents*
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:39 PM   #655
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I get what he's saying. There wouldn't be a bunch of pressure on him to be putting up big scoring numbers. Where as if he is on either of the top 2 lines and he isn't producing it looks a lot worse.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:16 PM   #656
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Johnny-Mony-X
Tkachuk-Lindholm-X
Frolik-Backlund-Bennett
X-Ryan-X
Wasn't Sam Bennett's best season played mostly on that line?

Then they wanted to put him back at centre after that season.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:31 PM   #657
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can't see why Bennett can't just play wing with Lindholm centering. That way you have a lefty and a righty so they can take the faceoffs on their strong sides and Lindholm can shoulder the defensive responsibilities. Bennett gets to play with skilled line mates. That would be low pressure IMO.
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:57 PM   #658
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

Johnny-Mony-X
Tkachuk-Lindholm-X
Frolik-Backlund-Bennett
X-Ryan-X
And then you have 17 goal rookie centre Jankowski nowhere? He needs the same type of opportunities. That's why I don't think it makes much sense to play Lindholm at centre when everybody is healthy. We're just too deep at that position and then somebody gets bumped into a suboptimal position. Whereas RW is still relatively weak unless Lindholm is slotting there. Only when Lindholm is on RW does our depth at that position look respectable.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Neal
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
????-Ryan-Czarnik

You can flip Lindholm/Neal. You can flip Jankowski/Backlund. You can flip Ryan and Jankowski.

It's really hard to imagine Lindholm at centre when everybody is healthy. I still think he makes the most sense as the responsible right shot presence on the top line. Lets us split up our two best shooters in Neal and Monahan and stack a couple good scoring lines.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 02:06 AM   #659
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjRhythmic View Post
I can't see why Bennett can't just play wing with Lindholm centering. That way you have a lefty and a righty so they can take the faceoffs on their strong sides and Lindholm can shoulder the defensive responsibilities. Bennett gets to play with skilled line mates. That would be low pressure IMO.
Yes, that would help balance the lines even further, IMO.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett
<rotate>-Ryan-<rotate>
Czarnik
Lazar
Hathaway
Brouwer
etc. etc.

I would love to get Bennett and Jankowski more seasoning at center. However, I feel like Jankowski would both benefit from and complement Backlund + Frolik (whom I expect bounce-back seasons from) for one season. To me, Bennett is simply more effective on the wing, so why force him into playing center considering the other great center options?

I am borderline giddy with the potential of lines 1 and 3. And any 4th line centered by Ryan should be at worst neutral, with the potential to tilt the ice in Calgary's favour over time.

This kind of depth is sure exciting.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:15 AM   #660
OBCT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
And then you have 17 goal rookie centre Jankowski nowhere? He needs the same type of opportunities. That's why I don't think it makes much sense to play Lindholm at centre when everybody is healthy. We're just too deep at that position and then somebody gets bumped into a suboptimal position. Whereas RW is still relatively weak unless Lindholm is slotting there. Only when Lindholm is on RW does our depth at that position look respectable.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Neal
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
????-Ryan-Czarnik

You can flip Lindholm/Neal. You can flip Jankowski/Backlund. You can flip Ryan and Jankowski.

It's really hard to imagine Lindholm at centre when everybody is healthy. I still think he makes the most sense as the responsible right shot presence on the top line. Lets us split up our two best shooters in Neal and Monahan and stack a couple good scoring lines.
I get what you're saying, but that assumes Bennett cannot play RW. Yes, it would be his off wing, but I feel like it would suit his playing style just fine. Then again, the coaching staff may disagree with me strongly.

I like TjRhythmic's idea of putting Bennett on Lindholm's wing for dual strong-sided faceoff options - on paper, that seems like a nice combo to me.

It's tough to "slot" all the centers ideally, but this is a great problem to have.