Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-24-2023, 06:12 PM   #1
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Starting your child in Hockey

I have a 5 year old son, and while I have suggested getting him started in skating lessons for the last few years, a few trips with some skates to the outdoor rink over the last few winters hadn't resulted in much desire from him so we've been focusing on swimming and golf instead.

All of a sudden he has taken some interest in the game while playing street hockey with his cousins this summer, and I'm curious if there are any recommendations on the best way to introduce him to the game. His cousins live in Cochrane and they took some skating lessons where they wore full hockey equipment, and I've thought that made a lot of sense and have been looking for something similar in Calgary.

Any recommendations on best approaches would be helpful since I figure he needs to get comfortable on skates before signing up for Timbits or anything like that?
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 07:37 PM   #2
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just did this last year for my 6 year old. Basically they just need ice time, if you can skate, that's even better.

We did some lessons and I didn't think they were worth the money, YMMV. I think it took us 6 hours to get him skating around on his own, then we just went a couple of hours every week until hockey season started.

He didn't end up picking up backwards skating before the season but once the season got going and he was on the ice two times a week his skating improved dramatically.

I guess my point is that all he needs is ice time and don't worry what level he gets to before he starts. He'll catch up with most of the other kids by mid season.

Also I bought him new skates and totally sandbagged him by not getting them checked by someone who knows blades. We got his skate blades profiled about 1/4 way through the season and his skating got instantly 3x better. So get his skate blades measured somewhere that profiles skates!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 08:45 PM   #3
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just put him straight in timbits. Neither of my kids could skate when they started, it took about two weeks and they were skating far better. By the end of the first season, they could skate forwards, backwards, stop, and turn.

If you still want to get out to get used to standing up on skates, there usually are public skate times at the rinks that still have ice in. Might cost a dollar or five but it's something.

Both kids have finally quit hockey, I really miss the timbits days.

Last edited by billybob123; 07-24-2023 at 08:48 PM.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billybob123 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2023, 09:34 PM   #4
BigBCalgary
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Actually, The City of Calgary has some pretty excellent introduction to hockey programs at a couple rinks. I believe we did ours at Southland leisure , but that was over a decade ago. Was great, just a few weeks, was excellent prep for Timbits. It should be an easy google.
BigBCalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 10:01 PM   #5
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My only advice - they should want to play more than you want them to play.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2023, 07:03 AM   #6
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
My only advice - they should want to play more than you want them to play.
5 year olds don't know what they want. Nothing wrong with plopping them into a few sports to see which ones stick, if any. Plus, isn't a base level of hockey required to maintain a Canadian citizenship?

You don't want your kid to be the teenager who can't even stand up on skates or holds a hockey stick like a golf club.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:21 AM   #7
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob123 View Post
Just put him straight in timbits. Neither of my kids could skate when they started, it took about two weeks and they were skating far better. By the end of the first season, they could skate forwards, backwards, stop, and turn.

If you still want to get out to get used to standing up on skates, there usually are public skate times at the rinks that still have ice in. Might cost a dollar or five but it's something.

Both kids have finally quit hockey, I really miss the timbits days.
I’m going to disagree a bit with this. There is a difference between hockey and skating. If I’m coaching I’m not spending an hour every week picking kids up off the ice. And by you’re putting your kid behind from the start if you’re dropping them into hockey without having skated.

Signing your kid up for skating/ power skating lessons would be the best option. If it is a time/ commitment/ financial concerns, you are better off skipping hockey for the first year or two or more, and focusing on skating. If your child cannot skate, hockey is simply a waste of time.
Old 07-25-2023, 08:30 AM   #8
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
I’m going to disagree a bit with this. There is a difference between hockey and skating. If I’m coaching I’m not spending an hour every week picking kids up off the ice. And by you’re putting your kid behind from the start if you’re dropping them into hockey without having skated.

Signing your kid up for skating/ power skating lessons would be the best option. If it is a time/ commitment/ financial concerns, you are better off skipping hockey for the first year or two or more, and focusing on skating. If your child cannot skate, hockey is simply a waste of time.
Skating alone is boring as piss though, especially since they know hockey exists.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:36 AM   #9
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

@DerekSutton

^ i don’t think so. Like at all

You’re not “putting your kid behind” if they are going in to Timbits at 5 years old

Most kids who start at that age can’t skate much at all when the season starts and end up improving immensely.

Coaches don’t spend the whole practice picking kids up.

If a kid wants to play hockey, they should play hockey.

Geez, when I was a kid, my folks put me in for a year of skating before hockey. I may have developed some skill, I wanted to play hockey, and it was not hockey. The kids I played street hockey with at recess every day at school were playing hockey, and I was just skating.

Hockey is fun, not a waste of time

Edit: fotze said it well lol
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2023, 08:41 AM   #10
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
@DerekSutton

You’re not “putting your kid behind” if they are going in to Timbits at 5 years old

Most kids who start at that age can’t skate much at all when the season starts and end up improving immensely.

Geez, when I was a kid, my folks put me in for a year of skating before hockey. I may have developed some skill, I wanted to play hockey, and it was not hockey. The kids I played street hockey with at recess every day at school were playing hockey, and I was just skating.

I don't think my kids would still be playing hockey if we put them in skating alone at the start. But that would probably have been a good thing. So put your kids in skating for the first 4 years, will save a bunch of money in the long run. haha
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2023, 08:41 AM   #11
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus it is way easier to learn to skate in full hockey gear because falling down does not hurt. There is nothing wrong with putting them in Timbits with strong skating abilities.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:46 AM   #12
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
@DerekSutton

^^^^^^^^^

This is correct

Especially a 5 yr old FFS

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 08:47 AM   #13
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lessons at that age are ok if the instructor knows how to teach 5 year olds.

Don't hesitate to go into Timbits whether your child can skate or not. Either way they'll pick it up fast. If you can stand on skates volunteer to help or coach. Make sure it's FUN.

There is no such thing as being behind the curve in Timbits.
hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:25 AM   #14
Guest1

LTAD says kids around that age should be focusing on basic movement skills. Kids playing multiple sports are more well rounded and less prone to injuries. Look for a program that aligns themselves with teaching athletes skills based on their developmental age, not chronological. As for a hockey vs skating, I would do what the kid is more interested in? Makes it not as much a chore with a buy in from the kid. I’m sure at that age and hockey program will mostly be focused on the basic skill of skating anyways?
Old 07-25-2023, 10:14 AM   #15
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree with most here starting timbits at 5 without being able to skate is pretty normal. I think have the gear on and a stick in their hands actually helps a fair bit.

My guy started having been on skates maybe once or twice and it took no time at all for him to figure it out.

He's headed to U18 Major this fall and I miss those early days, so much fun.

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 10:36 AM   #16
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

From 5 to 7 they get the itch. Lots of kids a light switch flips around 6/7 years old and they really want to play. Im on coaching my 3rd child at the U7 level and its like clockwork. Put them in in their U6 season and they will start to love it after a bit even if they dont at first. I do find the U5 kids is too early for most of them.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 10:46 AM   #17
Knut

Exp:

I coached Timbits and low tier U9 hockey. Do not be afraid to throw your kid into hockey. Good Coaches will ability group the kids and alter the practice plan to put kids in positions to succeed. Also, u7 and u9 should have 20-30 mins of dedicated skating in practice. U7 more fun and u9 more technical.

Make sure you know what you are getting yourself into..

1) Timbits hockey is early (like 6:30 - 8:00 am) on weekends. Would your kids be happy getting up for hockey (one of mine was, one hated it). If he is miserable it wont be a good experience for him.

2) Do not be discouraged if your kids are bottom of the group in Timbits. It does not really matter going forward. The worst kid in Timbits might be the best kid in U11.

3) there is a lot of pressure on parents to put their kids into a million camps to keep up with the Jones's on the team. Its expensive, time consuming and probably wont make a big difference.

4) Coaches, Managers etc. are volunteers and treat them with respect. Some of them can put in 150hrs of Volunteer time.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 10:49 AM   #18
Spurs
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My sons had no interest in hockey so I didn't go too deep into this but putting a kid into skating only when it is hockey they are interested in, seems like a good way to kill their interest in skating or hockey.

I would hope any coach at the Timbits level would be more than fine to help kids learn to skate. It would seem to be an expectation that would be part of the job.

Additional skating lessons, if time/money allow it, could be a great way to help the kid develop skills, but as a stand alone without hockey seems like it would be disappointing for them.
Spurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 11:43 AM   #19
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post

This is on the Coach to group the kids correctly in practice and to work with small groups at a time.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 12:45 PM   #20
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also, you will miss out on the drama if you put your kids in just skating, and the drama is the best part, and yes there will be drama in timbits.
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post: