Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #21
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Always get the extended warranty? I've never heard that advice. I'd be out thousands if I had done that with past purchases. I only get it on dishwashers because we burn through them every couple years in my house running it twice a day. I never get the extended warranty on anything else.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #22
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah usually the extended warranty on electronics from big box stores is a complete waste of money, although I've never bought electronics from Costco.

If my TV isn't dying in the first month or two, it's more than likely going to last for well beyond the length of the extended warranty.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #23
JackJack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I should've clarified.

Costco extended warranties are the best value for money compared to other big box retailers.

$99 to insure a $2500 TV for an additional 3 years ~ 10 cents/day.
JackJack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JackJack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 05:37 PM   #24
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Always get the extended warranty? I've never heard that advice. I'd be out thousands if I had done that with past purchases. I only get it on dishwashers because we burn through them every couple years in my house running it twice a day. I never get the extended warranty on anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Yeah usually the extended warranty on electronics from big box stores is a complete waste of money, although I've never bought electronics from Costco.

If my TV isn't dying in the first month or two, it's more than likely going to last for well beyond the length of the extended warranty.
Really, I always get the extended warranties on any major appliance or large electronic that has the "fix in home" tag attached to it. I wouldn't ever buy it on anything small say a 4K blu-ray player, sound bar or Keurig but before we moved two years ago, almost every top of the line appliance we had originated from a lesser model we bought on sale, purchased the warranty and then I used those warranty rules to our advantage to either get store credit or an outright upgraded replacement.

Maybe it's just me but I've always been able to manipulate them to my advantage, one of the reasons I bought my 65" LG OLED when i did was because of how i used my warranty on the 70" Sharp TV I had at the time. After owning the Sharp for maybe a month I noticed a dead pixel but I didn't do anything about it since mainly you couldn't notice the pixel unless you went right up to the screen and knew where it was but also because i knew it's too expensive for manufacturers to fix panels that size so i sat on that little beauty of a dead pixel until about three months before my warranty was up and the store credit i was awarded paid for more then half of my new OLED, lol.

I actually recently bought two new OLED's and again purchased the warranties for both although i will say the warranty price at Visions wasn't as expensive as the one i purchased at Best Buy. Over all warranty prices have gone up a lot so i completely understand the hesitation but my thinking is if I'm going to spend a couple grand on an item, i pretty much want to be able to return it at any time if something goes wrong with it that wasn't my fault.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #25
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I think they incorporate shipping into the prices,
They do.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #26
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was at the South Costco yesterday because now I decided I wanted a 4k Appletv. They had the 55" LG OLED TV on for $1750. It's the display model.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:29 PM   #27
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
I was at the South Costco yesterday because now I decided I wanted a 4k Appletv. They had the 55" LG OLED TV on for $1750. It's the display model.
I personally wouldn't buy a display model as they are on all day for who knows how many days usually on some vivid demo setting but if Costco warranties it like a new one it may not be a bad deal.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #28
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'd buy that all day if they do the warrantee. Those OLEDs should be good for a ton of hours but that TV worry-free for 3 years is totally worth the 1750+ all day.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:09 AM   #29
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If I wanted to buy a 65" TV this week are there any deals to be had? I haven't looked much but if anyone else has and knows of a deal I'd be happy to hear it.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #30
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

2500 for an open box 65" LG B7 at visions isn't bad.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 01:00 PM   #31
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
If I wanted to buy a 65" TV this week are there any deals to be had? I haven't looked much but if anyone else has and knows of a deal I'd be happy to hear it.
The Vizio M65 for $1000 at Costco is great value.

Personally I’d go for the PQ65 for $2000 though.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 06:19 PM   #32
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Go get the P series Vizio from Costco and call it a day.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #33
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm also in the market for a 65".

Saw this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...K6Y9EEQB&psc=1

Is the Vizio better? Lots of bad reviews about the apps/software.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:57 PM   #34
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, the Vizio will be considerably better. The highest-end Vizio model has been the best "bang for the buck" LED TV available at retail for years. Even stepping down to the normal P65 at $1500 will be a step up from that budget line Samsung.

Apps and software are of far less importance than picture quality.

Use rtings.com to compare different TV models. It's a very good resource.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 07:34 PM   #35
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah I’d go for the M65 from Costco for cheaper.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:26 PM   #36
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Costco warranty is good...most other places not so much

If you have a decent credit card they will double the warranty anyway and cover accidental damage like throwing a remote through the screen when the Flames get facked over
Old 05-05-2019, 08:40 PM   #37
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Thanks Weitz, I went with the PQ65. I was leaning Costco for the warranty. Software doesn't mean much to me because I use the PS4 for all the apps. (My old Samsung Smart TV slowly started discontinuing their apps).

I was hesitant on the Vizio because the last time I bought a TV (9-10 years ago) they were bottom of the barrel. Nearly 350 reviews at 4.6/5 is pretty solid for any product.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2019, 09:17 AM   #38
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Yah I’d go for the M65 from Costco for cheaper.
I have had this tv for a year now, just an amazing tv for the price.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #39
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vizio had its wrist slapped a couple years ago for collecting and selling viewing habits of people using its TVs.
Quote:
One is through audience measurement — showing what programs and commercials people watched, along with how and when they viewed it. Another is from gauging the effectiveness of advertisements, including the ability to “analyze a household’s behavior across devices,” using the IP address attached to all the internet-enabled gadgets in a home. That could mean tracking whether someone visited a website on their laptop after seeing a fast food commercial, or if an online ad motivated them to watch a TV show. The third is by targeting ads to people on other devices, like phones or tablets, based on what they watched on TV.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/b...s-consent.html

Just so you know what you are getting in to if you want to use the TV's "smart" features. I doubt they have stopped, they probably just to a better job of asking for consent instead of assuming.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:47 PM   #40
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I buy Sony... consistently high quality and the one time I had an issue with my 65".. they just shipped me a new one and had an installer come by to do the swap. No questions asked.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote