Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2018, 05:58 PM   #181
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration View Post
Wow... for the first time in 3.5 years my 5 year locked rate of 7.75 will finally benefit me
as of last night you could still change to a 3 year rate or 5 ish cents?

why wouldnt you have changed earlier?
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:02 PM   #182
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
as of last night you could still change to a 3 year rate or 5 ish cents?

why wouldnt you have changed earlier?

I locked in when I swapped over from atco and did the easymax (think that’s what the promotion was called) basically I received one year free of electricity but had to lock in at 7.75 for 5 years
Old 03-31-2018, 06:07 PM   #183
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I locked in when I swapped over from atco and did the easymax (think that’s what the promotion was called) basically I received one year free of electricity but had to lock in at 7.75 for 5 years
Easymax can be changed anytime theres no cancel fee.
if you go right now to their website you can reduce your energy rate to 6.5 cents for 5 years or 5.99 for 3 years.

go do it .. save money bro
Old 03-31-2018, 06:09 PM   #184
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Enmax Bills

Quote:
Easymax can be changed anytime theres no cancel fee.

if you go right now to their website you can reduce your energy rate to 6.5 cents for 5 years or 5.99 for 3 years.

go do it .. save money bro

Hmm when I called last year to try and get out of it they said I had to buyout my remaining years since I received the 1 free year. But I’ll definitely try and call again, thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-31-2018, 06:12 PM   #185
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

try online
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2018, 07:20 PM   #186
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Enmax's residential electricity rate will be jumping from 5.11 cents per kilowatt-hour in March to 9.28 cents in April.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...erta-1.4600237
According to the article, the most the consumer will pay is 6.8. Also, if you switch you will lose your easy max rewards.

I calculated I’ll probably be even either way so I’ll keep it floating. The promo is likely to get people off their rewards program.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:46 PM   #187
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

only half of consumers are protected to 6.8 tho
Old 03-31-2018, 11:22 PM   #188
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow... for the first time in 3.5 years my 5 year locked rate of 7.75 will finally benefit me
Which still is more than the cap of 6.8.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:01 PM   #189
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
try online

No dice - it’s the choose free plan I’m currently on
Choose Free: 7.79¢/kWh 5-Year Fixed Electricity (First Year Promo)
Old 04-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #190
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try using the chat. I was just successful getting a lower rate than what was on the website for 3 year fixed for electricity. My fixed term was set to end in January.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:53 AM   #191
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excuse my ignorance on the topic, but I've always been a "set it and forget it" sort of guy with electricity rates.

Currently I'm on the EasyMax floating rate for electricity. I could lock in today via the web site for a 1-year fixed term of 5.89¢/kWh. Despite being labelled as a 1-year team, I could switch back to floating at any time, but only once per month. Is that correct?

So I could, in theory, switch to this fixed rate while rates spike in the coming month or two, but as soon as the floating goes below 5.89¢/kWh (and looks like it might stay there), switch back to floating? No fees or penalties incurred?

Obviously the actual electricity usage of any given bill is a depressingly low part of it. Fees, riders, charges, etc. make up the bulk, regardless of your usage. But still - even if it puts $10 in my pocket instead of Enmax, maybe I should make the switch for the short term. And just remember to switch it back.

Finally, this talk of the 6.8 cap - how do I determine whether my plan qualifies for this? I can't see anything when I log in on the web site. Is this something that only a customer service person can confirm?
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #192
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^Won't let me quote you.

Yes you can switch your plan once every 30 days. You can lock in now at the 5.89 and move it back to floating after the 30 days, depending on what the rates do.

Yes easy max is capped at 6.8.

Their online chat is good if you have anything else you want to confirm.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #193
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
^^^Won't let me quote you.

Yes you can switch your plan once every 30 days. You can lock in now at the 5.89 and move it back to floating after the 30 days, depending on what the rates do.

Yes easy max is capped at 6.8.

Their online chat is good if you have anything else you want to confirm.
Thank you - that's good info.

I asked a few questions to customer service and they say that the vast majority of customers are on EasyMax and are protected in their terms and conditions with the cap of 6.8. Those that aren't were new sign-ups from 4-5 years ago and will have the "Indexed" electricity rate, which is not protected.

So if anyone sees their electricity plan listed as "indexed" on their bill (mine is "EasyMax Matched"), then they should consider changing to an EasyMax plan to get the protection of the cap.

All of this being said, if I switched to a fixed rate of 5.89 now, and rates did hit the cap of 6.8, it might save me $7 based on the usage on my last bill and the 1 cent difference in rates

Hardly worth worrying about, but $7 in my pocked instead of Enmax. Until I forget to switch back.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:46 AM   #194
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah but the rates are going from 5.1 to 6.8, so you might be at that $10 mark.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:54 AM   #195
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Ah but the rates are going from 5.1 to 6.8, so you might be at that $10 mark.
Now if I could just get my wife to shut down some of her aquariums, and my $10 savings this coming month, I'd be a rich man. Actually, I'd never do that, but I bet that her 3 aquariums account for half of our energy usage. Filters, air bubbles, heaters, lights, etc.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:20 PM   #196
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Now if I could just get my wife to shut down some of her aquariums, and my $10 savings this coming month, I'd be a rich man. Actually, I'd never do that, but I bet that her 3 aquariums account for half of our energy usage. Filters, air bubbles, heaters, lights, etc.
Would you like a 4th? My wife wants to sell hers.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:42 PM   #197
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I bought a wall plug power meter a while ago. Aquariums use almost nothing. My 50 gallon uses about 10 watts (I have LED lights though).

Nothing sucks back electricity like your fridge and your clothes dryer.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:34 PM   #198
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

When I called Enmax they were super aggressive trying to have me switch to a fixed electricity rate.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:40 AM   #199
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see much point in locking in an electricity rate until the cap expires in 2021. Effectively you are locked in at 6.8 cents, with the benefit of it potentially being lower. As an example, my rate was 3.4 cents on my last bill.

The entire basis for the market is being overhauled by the government and it will look very different after that process runs it's course than it does today.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #200
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Would you like a 4th? My wife wants to sell hers.
Ask her. Actually don't. Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I bought a wall plug power meter a while ago. Aquariums use almost nothing. My 50 gallon uses about 10 watts (I have LED lights though).

Nothing sucks back electricity like your fridge and your clothes dryer.
I've actually got one of those meter things. I should find it and put the aquariums to the test. Perhaps my blame is misplaced, as our 16-year-old fridge is the only major appliance in the house that hasn't been replaced since we bought this house.

One thing that definitely did save me a noticeable amount of money was not letting my desktop PC run 24/7. It isn't a fancy, high powered machine, and I would let the monitors sleep, but I used to let it run so I could access it remotely. Now I force it to sleep (or shut it down if I know I won't be using it for a few days) and it made a noticeable difference to my little graph on the Enmax Energy IQ thing that shows you your usage compared to other homes. I can wake it remotely by sending a WOL magic packet when I do need to use it, and use it only occasionally anyway, so it really was silly to let it run 24/7.