Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #121
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
That was a very mature and tasteful response Beninho.

We can discuss and razz and all be friends at the end of the day.

Except the Italians. We all agree they are divers.
I appreciate it! I got lost in the arguement I was having with myself in my head and my posts were taking things way out of context and inferring some generally stupid ####.

For the record I do not hate Germans or Germany! I have an intense passion for WW2 history and my own family history and I made statements that were way out of line for this thread and I was being way too sensitive.

I cannot wait for the World Cup and am glad that my stupid posts won’t stop me from discussing it with you all!

I don’t want my posts to be perceived that I’m too sensitive to take jabs about Brazil! I’m usually the most critical fan anyways!

Last edited by Beninho; 05-24-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #122
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I thought only Italians dove.
See, everyone misses us already! People love to hate on Italy and that's OK, I wouldn't have it any other way. This tournament won't be the same without Italy, Netherlands, USA, etc.

I do agree that Italy needs a solid rebuild. A tournament break might be a good chance for a reset. We will let some of the other countries try and capture a World Cup or two, spread the wealth.

So who do I cheer for now? I guess the only solid option is Argentina...
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:45 PM   #123
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
See, everyone misses us already! People love to hate on Italy and that's OK, I wouldn't have it any other way. This tournament won't be the same without Italy, Netherlands, USA, etc.

I do agree that Italy needs a solid rebuild. A tournament break might be a good chance for a reset. We will let some of the other countries try and capture a World Cup or two, spread the wealth.

Nah - screw Messi.

Belgium & Croatia are the two best options of teams that actually could surprise and win, that aren't historical top end teams.

Really I just don't want Brazil, Germany, or Spain to win, especially Brazil will always hate that team.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #124
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Nah - screw Messi.

Belgium & Croatia are the two best options of teams that actually could surprise and win, that aren't historical top end teams.

Really I just don't want Brazil, Germany, or Spain to win, especially Brazil will always hate that team.
So you aren’t a fan of Jogo Bonito and Messi? My heart...

Last edited by Beninho; 05-24-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:59 PM   #125
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nah - screw Messi.

The Germans are always in the mix to go deep in tournaments, but this has to be one of, if not the, deepest and most talented team I've seen in ages.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:04 PM   #126
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The Germans are always in the mix to go deep in tournaments, but this has to be one of, if not the, deepest and most talented team I've seen in ages.
Really? Their last team was better in my opinion. They have more attacking options but no Lahm and Sweinsteiger. Those two were integral in creating the German machine. I don’t think Draxler is that great, I feel Goretzka is very good but also very inexperienced and looked out of his depth when Germany played Brazil in their last friendly. Khedira was also still prime Khedira in the last World Cup and is no where near the same player. People forget how amazing Khedira was, especially in the World Cup. He was flat out amazing. Maybe he will turn back the clock?

Sane is very young but is extremely talanted but I’ve seen him have tunnel vision with the ball at his feet. Reus is great but has never been on this stage before and everyone knows about his injury issues. Defense is very good but by no means in-penatrable. They have Fullbacks that I will admit I have not seen play very much. Kimmich has show to be great going forward but will he have the same effect as Lahm? I see a lot of question marks. Ozil can also be ELITE on his day but everyone knows that he can also produce stinkers. I’m not a big fan of Gündoğan and found him wasteful throughout the season with man city. I have not seen much of Timo Werner but have heard great things and seen some great highlights. Again, very young and this tournament is on a stage he’s never played on before. They are still one of the favourites and very deep but I can’t say it’s the deepest team I’ve seen. There have been some incredible teams in recent history. ‘98 France, ‘02 Brazil, ‘10 Spain and ‘14 Germany were all immense rosters with battle tested players. Not to mention some other incredible rosters that did not win the tournament.

I honestly think Brazil and Spain are just as deep this year. Both have different strengths but lineups full of world class players. I still think Spain’s midfield is unparalleled by any team and they have much more youth on their team then last tournament.Belgium as well has a very strong team but a bit below those 3. I think this is one of the most open world cups in recent history

Last edited by Beninho; 05-24-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:18 PM   #127
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll echo what croflames wrote. My Dad loves the Germans and most Croatians have a soft spot for them. Germany supported our independence from Yugoslavia and the Serbs, while England and others refused to even acknowledge us. If Croatia is bounced I'll cheer for the Germans.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:06 PM   #128
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post

This statement is the equivalent of a dive.

Italy fans are the Leaf fans of international football.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #129
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
This statement is the equivalent of a dive.

Italy fans are the Leaf fans of international football.
Not even close...that's England fans 100%.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 05-24-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #130
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
So you aren’t a fan of Jogo Bonito and Messi? My heart...
I was 6 years old when Italy lost to Brazil in PKs at WC 94 - so that will always be my backpack, much like I will never cheer or like Tampa Bay.

Messi if only because I dislike just because I think the media has always overhyped him, and not given his teammates enough credit. One of the top players of all time but also very fortunate to always have other truly elite World Class players beside him at Barcelona.

The battery of that Barcelona teams was winning the World Cup with Spain, but people would always act heap all the praise and player of the year awards on Messi when Xavi, Iniesta, etc were just as important as he was to that team's success.

Part of me never wants him to succeed individually on the international stage for that reason alone.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:42 PM   #131
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

What group is Canada in? I don't like anybody else...
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:44 PM   #132
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

They are in the NIT tournament

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #133
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was 6 years old when Italy lost to Brazil in PKs at WC 94 - so that will always be my backpack, much like I will never cheer or like Tampa Bay.

Messi if only because I dislike just because I think the media has always overhyped him, and not given his teammates enough credit. One of the top players of all time but also very fortunate to always have other truly elite World Class players beside him at Barcelona.

The battery of that Barcelona teams was winning the World Cup with Spain, but people would always act heap all the praise and player of the year awards on Messi when Xavi, Iniesta, etc were just as important as he was to that team's success.

Part of me never wants him to succeed individually on the international stage for that reason alone.
Haha that’s fair, I think Messi is the greatest player I’ve seen in my lifetime, I do think his teammates don’t get the same recognition. I know for a fact Neymar was not happy about Barcelona and the media using the Messi celebration picture after the PSG comeback. He definitely does get most of the credit but he also takes most of the blame when things go south. I understand that he plays with great players but I’ve never seen a player that has been able to dribble and create chances out of nothing like him. I love Ronaldo (R9) and in his prime I think he was the best striker the worlds seen but I still would take Messi.

The season where he beat Mullers record was the best individual season I’ve seen

Last edited by Beninho; 05-24-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #134
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
What group is Canada in? I don't like anybody else...

Just do what most people do.

Pick the likeliest winner, then drone on to literally everyone about how you've been a fan forever and it would mean so much to you if your team won.

Germany, Brazil are great choices. Belgium could really wow your friends if they go deep. Use the name Mo Salah a lot and people will think you know what you're talking about.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:52 AM   #135
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I thought only Italians dove.
My perception is that while the South Americans can match the Italian diving team, it's the diving, vicious fouls, and appealing to the ref any time a foul is called on them added together that make Italy special.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:39 PM   #136
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The argies have that reputation moreso than anyone else, they are notorious for the tackles and the handbags
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:01 PM   #137
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wooo! Croatian kit on, ready to go! CFL and World Cup just a couple weeks away... what a great time of year!
Old 05-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #138
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully Salah can make the World Cup. Would hate to see him lose out on the World Cup after carrying Egypt through qualifying. It just sucks when these injuries happen so close to the tournament.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:06 PM   #139
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Hopefully Salah can make the World Cup. Would hate to see him lose out on the World Cup after carrying Egypt through qualifying. It just sucks when these injuries happen so close to the tournament.
There's no single injury that can be as devastating to any country as this one. I really hope he is fit for the tournament, he deserves to be there and is a great story
Old 05-26-2018, 09:29 PM   #140
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Deutschland! *clapclapclap* Deutschland!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cry for argentina , diving , it's not coming home , orange slices , var is no good