Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Belinda Stronach returning to business world

http://ctv2.theglobeandmail.com/serv...N/ctv-business

Quote:
On Wednesday, Ms. Stronach announced she will not stand for re-election as a Member of Parliament in the next federal election and will return to Magna International, where she will become executive vice-chairman.
There sure seems to be a lot of Liberals that are not running for election next election. Is this the re-birth of the party with new blood or people just not liking Dion's "leadership"?
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
Ford Prefect
Has Towel, Will Travel

Exp:

Maybe it's because their egos can't take the anonymity of being backbench opposition MPs who have to actually do a little work in order to get their face on the TV news.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'd have to say that after all of the hype of her going into Federal Politics, and the insistance that she had a shot at being the first woman prime minister (relax Kim Campbell fans she was PM but certainly dosen't count), that Belinda has been a huge disapontment.

Her poor public speaking, her badly timed switch to the Liberals, made her vanish into the back benches never to be seen again.

At least she can crawl back to Daddy's Company and take on a ceremonial title. And do a little more plugging with Domi without it becoming national news.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 AM   #4
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I suppose if Magna buys Chrysler that would be a step-up for her as well.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:03 AM   #5
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

The article almost insinuates that she's taking the Magna job sooner than later. I wonder how her constituents feel about her interest being divided this way.

This woman is a real piece of work, eh? A whole lot of flash and very little substance.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has there been another insignificant politician in Canadian history who has been the object of such national scorn? I doubt it.

Some guy named Wajid Khan crossed the floor a couple months ago and I've never even heard of him. Belinda Stronach did the same thing and people remain angry to this day, still bringing up her looks, her sex life and the fact that her dad is rich.

What is it about this woman that people hate with such a passion? I can understand that she went to the dark side at a pretty inopportune (for the Conservatives) moment but besides that, what's the big deal?

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand how she can one minute want to be leader of the Conservatives, and then the next minute switch allegience completely and join the Liberals. She then made it known that she had an interest in being leader of the Liberals. She was clearly after one thing...power. It became a cliche to call her an opportunist, but it was true.

Good riddance.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #8
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out Belinda!!!
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
What is it about this woman that people hate with such a passion?
I don't know if it's Belinda in particular or just anyone who appears to ride coat-tails, but I don't know how much actual work she has done in her life.

There is a perception that she's ridden her daddy's coat tails all the way up leadership in Magma, jumped to politics where she appeared to want an easy ride to the PM job, jumped to the Liberals for an easy cabinet post, and is now jumping back to her daddy's company.

To me, it has nothing to do with jumping from one party to another.. it's the "what can give me the most publicity/payback for the least amount of work" perception.

IMO, if she doesn't have any substance, she deserves whatever flack she gets.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #10
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I was going to say. She certainly seems to be the center of a lot of attention on this forum.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #11
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculoso View Post
I don't know if it's Belinda in particular or just anyone who appears to ride coat-tails, but I don't know how much actual work she has done in her life.

There is a perception that she's ridden her daddy's coat tails all the way up leadership in Magma, jumped to politics where she appeared to want an easy ride to the PM job, jumped to the Liberals for an easy cabinet post, and is now jumping back to her daddy's company.

To me, it has nothing to do with jumping from one party to another.. it's the "what can give me the most publicity/payback for the least amount of work" perception.

IMO, if she doesn't have any substance, she deserves whatever flack she gets.
That's what separates her from Khan, David Emerson, .....and any others?
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:19 PM   #12
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stronauch crossed the floor like many before and amny after. It always annoys me but what really annoyed me was that Stronauch had just finished running for the Conservative leadership and had no problem with the party platform. She was quite happy to be one of the all-star faces of teh party on Monday afternoon and then during the evening decided to be a Liberal. She crosses the floor and no sooner had she crossed, she was already talking about running for the Liberal leadership. She had no intention of being in politics unless she was in a position of great power....her political aspirations had nothing to do with represneting her constituents but rather representing herself. It was an ego trip for her and nothing more.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #13
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

She represents every thing thats wrong with politics today to be honest, thats why I have a strong dislike for her.

- She's dishonest, has the loyalty of a scorpion, is an attention whore, who needs to feed her ego on a constant basis. In exchange she does little or nothing to leave her mark, but leaves discord and anger in her wake.

She reminds me of a woman that I worked for that ran a fortune 1000 company, she believed that everything that she said was gold, and if the direction that she gave out failed, she refused to look at it objectively, it was always someone elses fault. She had no corporate vision, and no feel of corporate culture or direction, yet she had to be the center point of every discussion, attend every client meeting even though she had little to add of substance. She cut spending on high profit product lines, while encouraging everyone to sell the lower profile more difficult to fulfill offerings because thats the way she always did it. She was charming, and pretty, and well spoken, but there was little in the way of substance.

Holy Crow what a vent.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #14
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Stronauch crossed the floor like many before and amny after. It always annoys me but what really annoyed me was that Stronauch had just finished running for the Conservative leadership and had no problem with the party platform. She was quite happy to be one of the all-star faces of teh party on Monday afternoon and then during the evening decided to be a Liberal. She crosses the floor and no sooner had she crossed, she was already talking about running for the Liberal leadership. She had no intention of being in politics unless she was in a position of great power....her political aspirations had nothing to do with represneting her constituents but rather representing herself. It was an ego trip for her and nothing more.
You make it sound like there there wasn't over a year between when the leadership convention happened, and when she crossed. (leadership convension - March 20, 2004. Crossed floor - May 17, 2005). She just didn't get along with the party leader. Maybe that's what is happening here (again). Perhaps if Harper asked nicely, she would cross back

Its not like she ran for election for one party then, without even sitting a single day as a member, switched parties in exchange for a cabinet post.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:45 PM   #15
Prototype

Exp:

Maybe she completed her goal of sleeping with everyone in Ottawa... I'm just saying...
Old 04-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #16
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prottotype View Post
Maybe she completed her goal of sleeping with everyone in Ottawa... I'm just saying...
Guess that's why Khan and Emerson are still around then ?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #17
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
You make it sound like there there wasn't over a year between when the leadership convention happened, and when she crossed. (leadership convension - March 20, 2004. Crossed floor - May 17, 2005). She just didn't get along with the party leader. Maybe that's what is happening here (again). Perhaps if Harper asked nicely, she would cross back

Its not like she ran for election for one party then, without even sitting a single day as a member, switched parties in exchange for a cabinet post.
Yes, I am quite certain that it was a dislike for Harper that caused her to cross the floor when it was most to her personal advantage.

There seems to be little doubt that she was always in it for personal power. In this case, at least, she has remained true to her ideals, as she is now dumping the Liberals as well since the chance at power there has sailed.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #18
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe she just wants to keep a shorter leash on the garden gnome she calls a boyfriend.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:13 PM   #19
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Call me a cynic, but I just don't see it as particularly unusual that a politician would have a thirst for power. You can't tell me Stephen Harper doesn't have a pretty strong desire for power. He didn't get there by accident (and, ironically enough, had a personal clash with a party leader on the way up).

All this talk about her rich dad and how she never did anything in her life -- it sounds like jealousy. And how do we know what she actually did or didn't do for that company?

I wonder if this all happened exactly the same but the MPs name was Bill Stronach would it get such a reaction. I doubt it. I know nobody would be talking about what a slut he is if he had had a couple high profile girlfriends over the last three years. The color of his hair wouldn't make it into the discussion either, I'm sure of it.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #20
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is interesting, that is for sure Rouge. Does the same standard apply to David Emerson?