Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2018, 10:32 PM   #21
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The other Romance languages will be easier to pick up when she knows French. I would pick an Asian language, either Mandarin, Japanese, or Korean. Depending who’s around, it might be hard to get in practice and start slipping.

Also, just as a note, we had a family friend who spoke no Mandarin and went to China for a couple of years and now has a pretty good mastery of the language. So, even if they don’t learn it now, it’s not impossible to pick it up through immersion later in life.
Yeah, I have a friend that went there for a couple of years too and said once you get immersed, it is a pretty logical language, at least the spoken aspect. Pronunciation and palatalization can be difficult for him, but the grammar and sentence structure he said was not too bad once you understand the rules.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-11-2018 at 11:57 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:49 PM   #22
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am going to go off the board here and I am going to say Croation/Serbian. If you or your family is from that part of the world originally I can no better or more valuable gift than for you and daughter learning a language that has a root in your background.

This will also allow your daughter the ability to travel back to whatever part of the former Yugoslavia your family may be originally from and learn even more about the history and the language. This also opens up the door to a potential duel citizenship situation and the ability to study/work there and other places in Europe if that is something she would be interested in future.

The experience culturally, educationally, internationally along with some work experience is very valuable to employers in Canada in my opinion.

Learning another language is great but unless you utilize it on a regular basis or use it in a business environment, you can lose it or forget a lot of it. I know a lot of people who took French lessons or may speak their parents mother tongue (mines Greek) but wouldn't be able do their jobs in their second language because of a lack of practice and use.

Sorry about the long post, either way congrats and best of luck!!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #23
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-...o-learn-2014-5
Old 10-11-2018, 10:56 PM   #24
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Klingon.
At first I was like Kylington?
Swedish?
Old 10-11-2018, 11:10 PM   #25
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup Mandarin is a good one to learn as China will be a huge influence when she's older and will be the super power. The other way to go is to have her pick up a language that once fluent in, allows her to pick up other languages easily because they're so similar. I can't remember for sure but I think Spanish is the one that is similar to multiple different languages.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:22 PM   #26
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 10-12-2018, 12:07 AM   #27
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Mandarin is easier to learn than you’d think IF you have the opportunity and put in the effort.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:04 AM   #28
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Hindi would be a good one as well
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:04 AM   #29
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I grew up in French immersion and am still fluent in it. But I can only think of 2 places in the world I have been where it's actually been useful for me. For me #2 would definitely have to be Spanish. Pretty much all of The Americans from Canada down, you will find it useful. Huge Spanish populations in various places around the world. If I could go back in time (and when I have kids) it would be Spanish as a second language I would choose.

Russian is another one I can think of, in particular in Europe. Seems to me that Russian speakers are everywhere I've been in Europe. Many restaurants have russian speaking staff and menus. I hear it almost everywhere I go in Europe.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 07:49 AM   #30
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Yeah, I am thinking about future career opportunities.

I plan on growing her up bilingual (French and English). We speak English at home, and you can easily get by with either in the Ottawa/Gatineau area. I think both will be like "first languages" to her. But I would like her to learn something else that might be useful in the future. Children are like sponges when it comes to languages. If she doesn't have a knack for it, I won't force it, but I want to nurture the opportunity as much as possible.
you have to decide who is taking over the world and if the new overlords will speak Arabic, Russian or mandrin.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #31
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
"I'm sorry!"

"Canadian" isn't a language, Dion.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #32
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm wondering if one new language might be enough at the moment. You might just end up with her speaking some horrible creole of whatever she's learning. I also wonder if music might be a way to develop language skills. There's a lot of research into that. And it's way more fun than most language courses. But I do think you're on the right track with Romance languages. I found, as most people do, they become easier to learn once you get one in the bag. It's almost just a matter of vocabulary after the first one or two. Just keep it fun and not confusing or she'll hate language learning.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #33
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Nature is a language, can't you read?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #34
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Newfanese...

For when she meets and eventually marries one.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:22 AM   #35
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

We chose Spanish for our kids and wouldn't change a think if we had to do it over again.

French is good if you have ambitions for a government job. Mandarin etc. has advantages but also real drawbacks and limitations. We just thought Spanish offered the best advantage for someone growing up in North America. Second biggest language (I think) in the US so a definite advantage for moving there, plus all of Central and South America (save Brazil) and the potential there.

Plus it's a very beautiful language to hear and speak.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #36
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
I would go with German.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #37
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spanish....I'd love to know Spanish. Useful throughout the US and down into South America.

To learn one for fun, I'd love to learn Italian. Such a beautiful language.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:43 AM   #38
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

spanish for sure, many countries speak it, especially since we live in the americas. plus knoing spanish can branch into some basic understanding of the other romance languages (french, italian)

japanese never carried value and neither will mandarin

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #39
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spandarin and Manish
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:50 AM   #40
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I am going to go off the board here and I am going to say Croation/Serbian. If you or your family is from that part of the world originally I can no better or more valuable gift than for you and daughter learning a language that has a root in your background.

This will also allow your daughter the ability to travel back to whatever part of the former Yugoslavia your family may be originally from and learn even more about the history and the language. This also opens up the door to a potential duel citizenship situation and the ability to study/work there and other places in Europe if that is something she would be interested in future.

The experience culturally, educationally, internationally along with some work experience is very valuable to employers in Canada in my opinion.

Learning another language is great but unless you utilize it on a regular basis or use it in a business environment, you can lose it or forget a lot of it. I know a lot of people who took French lessons or may speak their parents mother tongue (mines Greek) but wouldn't be able do their jobs in their second language because of a lack of practice and use.

Sorry about the long post, either way congrats and best of luck!!
A Serbian Film would likely be even better without subtitles.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote