Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #21
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
And you know for a fact that he did indeed do this?
I do recall it being on the news.

I'll go so far and say I watched this series at the Black Swan on Mcleoud.

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/c...83059820319911

Last edited by Backlunds_socks; 11-14-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #22
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Yeah, I'll admit can't find a source that specifies that the abuse came specifically from Versteeg, nor confirm the true nature of the comments. I'd treat it as nothing more than a rumor since this is from a decade ago and I'm merely piecing it together from memory.
Don't get me wrong, I pretty comfortable with things being pieced together for the most part on here, I don't need hard cold indisputable facts to feel peoples conclusions have merit when discussing most hockey related things.

That said, I think when it comes to something as seriously defaming to ones character such this, I think people need to be a little more careful with what they throw out there. I think the standard needs to be a little bit higher on that type of an accusation then just I think I remember hearing it, or pretty sure I heard it on TV at the Black Swan.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldnt be surprised if it was between Jagr and Iginla, but it doesnt surprise me either that they'd choose Jagr.

Hes just more adaptable.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #24
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Don't get me wrong, I pretty comfortable with things being pieced together for the most part on here, I don't need hard cold indisputable facts to feel peoples conclusions have merit when discussing most hockey related things.

That said, I think when it comes to something as seriously defaming to ones character such this, I think people need to be a little more careful with what they throw out there. I think the standard needs to be a little bit higher on that type of an accusation then just I think I remember hearing it, or pretty sure I heard it on TV at the Black Swan.
This. Trash talk is one thing. But accusing him of hurling racial insults or disparaging Iginla's family needs to be supported or taken back.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:16 PM   #25
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also remember McGuire commenting on the trash talk Versteeg et al were giving Iginla. I don't recall him ever saying it was racial but he did say it was the strongest he had heard.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #26
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

And Pierre is never one to use hyperbole.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 12:20 PM   #27
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember Iginla being asked about the comments and he said it was harsh talk but nothing over the line. Specifically I remember him saying that there was nothing racial.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #28
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I think the door really slammed shut when we signed Jagr. No room for him at this point unless maybe Brouwer suffers an injury bad enough to be on LTIR for a while.

Iginla might be passable as the 4th line policeman. But I'm pretty sure he isn't on the friendliest of terms with Versteeg, who bombarded him with racial/family slurs during the playoff series with the Hawks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamation
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:22 PM   #29
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So basically the rumours were true. The Flames looked at both Iginla and Jagr. Opted with Jagr because they felt he would contribute more than Iginla at this stage in both of their careers.
Young_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:25 PM   #30
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I remember Iginla being asked about the comments and he said it was harsh talk but nothing over the line. Specifically I remember him saying that there was nothing racial.
What a surprise. Iginla showing nothing but class.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:26 PM   #31
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

I'm so glad we have Jagr even if it meant no Iggy.
The guy is coaching in addition to playing a crazy good possession game still.
Bennett and Jankos ages combined don't match his and he is still invaluable and I can't believe only 10% of the league even made an offer for him.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alan21 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #32
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Jaromir > Jarome was the correct decision. He brings so much coaching and leadership to our younger players. He's just as slow and has the same old man strength skills as Iginla but brings way more hockey IQ to the table. He just has an aura of respect that bleeds onto the opposing teams and refs as well. Iginla didn't always have that and was never universally loved in that way.

I'm a little surprised Iginla isn't playing in the Olympics as a way to stay in shape and show he still has got it.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-14-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 12:30 PM   #33
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
So basically the rumours were true. The Flames looked at both Iginla and Jagr. Opted with Jagr because they felt he would contribute more than Iginla at this stage in both of their careers.
I don't know. I tend to feel it's simply Burke paying lip service to one of the great players of the organization. We know the Flames looked at Jagr because they reportedly had been talking to his agent for more than a month before he was signed. Burke said they never contacted Iginla so it's kind of strange that Iginla would be plan B and the Flames never even contacted his agent to put out the feelers during all that time and going into he season before Jagr was signed. I'm sure his name may have come up in conversations but it's apparent by the team's actions that they never truly had intentions of offering him a contract.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:33 PM   #34
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Jaromir > Jarome was the correct decision. He brings so much coaching and leadership to our younger players. He's just as slow and has the same old man strength skills as Iginla but brings way more hockey IQ to the table. He just has an aura of respect that bleeds onto the opposing teams and refs as well. Iginla didn't always have that and was never universally loved in that way.

I'm a little surprised Iginla isn't playing in the Olympics as a way to stay in shape and show he still has got it.
Few players reach "universally loved" status.

Iggy was one of them.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 12:39 PM   #35
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post

Its not just that, but, and I mean no disrespect to Iginla, Jagr just has more in his toolbox.

If his skating declines he possesses the puck more so he doesnt have to chase it, if his shot declines he opts to pass more, etc.

But moreover the man is unbeatable along the boards, I've seen it probably twice this season so far where Jagr has the puck on the boards and its him against 2 or 3 opponents and nobody can even get close to the puck and then he makes a pass to an open teammate.

We've also seen Jagr skate around like a useless nobody and then all of a sudden the puck comes free and his eyes light up and hes skating like a 20 year-old again.

Despite being older hes more versatile, I'm not saying that Iggy isnt, just that Jagr brings more to this particular team at this stage of the game.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #36
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Burke: Team looked hard at Iginla; not considering bringing him back

Quote:
We've also seen Jagr skate around like a useless nobody and then all of a sudden the puck comes free and his eyes light up and hes skating like a 20 year-old again.

I’ve noticed this phenomenon as well. Jagr starts to look like the cryptkeeper on ice, sucking wind and grasping for the bench, and then *boop* the puck comes loose somewhere near the offensive zone and there he goes, mullet flying in tow like a pair of eagle’s wings.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:05 PM   #37
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames are extremely healthy right now. All they would need is a couple injuries to their forwards and the Iginla conversation could begin again. There are two forwards in the AHL playing quite well, but it is probably unrealistic that they both would come up and be productive NHL players.

Until Iginla is signed or retired, there is still a chance - though right now it makes sense that they are not looking in his direction.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:09 PM   #38
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was wondering how gio would feel about having iggy in the room.

I think not brining him back for anything other than a ceremonial signing is for the best. We would look at him today and wonder why he is no longer dangerous like he used to be and we would be sad
Old 11-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #39
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I was wondering how gio would feel about having iggy in the room.

I think not brining him back for anything other than a ceremonial signing is for the best. We would look at him today and wonder why he is no longer dangerous like he used to be and we would be sad
This tired argument again?

Oh no, Gio's feelings. Won't someone think of Gio's feelings?!

This is Gios team. Jagr, arguably the top 2 or 3 player to ever lace them up is playing on this team and it's not a distraction. Having a Flames legend come back and play in his twilight won't change anything. Vernon came back, who is to many fans what Iggy is to us.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:22 PM   #40
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Burke isn't the GM - and until Jarome officially retires from the sport, you can pry the dream of him returning to the Flames from my cold dead hands.