Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: Should Calgary Bid on the 2026 Olympics
Yes 286 46.28%
No 261 42.23%
Determine by plebiscite 71 11.49%
Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 09:34 PM   #1081
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

There do not seem to be very strong bids yet for 2026 by other cities either. The Milan bid proposal is lacking a lot of details so far. The Stockholm bid also includes events being held hundred of km from Stockholm, including in another country (Latvia).
Old 10-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #1082
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To be fair Sigulda is one of the finest tracks in the world in my opinion. I believe it was just renovated as well.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #1083
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
There do not seem to be very strong bids yet for 2026 by other cities either. The Milan bid proposal is lacking a lot of details so far. The Stockholm bid also includes events being held hundred of km from Stockholm, including in another country (Latvia).
sort of like calgary's bid?
Old 10-15-2018, 08:24 AM   #1084
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I'm struggling to understand the Whistler connection here. I've read several recent articles and Whistler is just as confused. They're like Hey, it's still going to cost us hundreds of millions to get our stuff ready and host this.
I don't see how that could be the case. This would be on the scale of just about any other mid-size event they might hold outside of the Olympics (sliding, nordic, skiing, or boarding)...maybe a few extra media folks and broadcasters. They definitely have the capacity to take it on
Old 10-15-2018, 08:36 AM   #1085
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I don't see how that could be the case. This would be on the scale of just about any other mid-size event they might hold outside of the Olympics (sliding, nordic, skiing, or boarding)...maybe a few extra media folks and broadcasters. They definitely have the capacity to take it on

They have to rejig the Nordic events, like basically create new courses for the cross country races which would include seating and buildings. And while the jump facilities are good to go now, they expect to have a bunch of improvements to do in eight years. And also the athletes village is now occupied by residents so there would be some issues finding existing housing for athletes. And of course security. You know for sure if Calgary is paying they will make it as cushy as possible for themselves.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #1086
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven’t really followed this issue closely. Is the plebiscite binding on council?
Old 10-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #1087
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I haven’t really followed this issue closely. Is the plebiscite binding on council?

It is now sort of because the provincial money is contingent upon it.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:58 AM   #1088
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is now sort of because the provincial money is contingent upon it.
Did the city commit to a binding plebiscite if the provincial money was the required amount?
Old 10-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #1089
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Did the city commit to a binding plebiscite if the provincial money was the required amount?

I think the council said there is some room to maneuver if the vote was close or if the turn out was low...like it wasn't totally binding. But the province says 49.9% is a no and would result in no money from them. So it's not technically a binding plebiscite but it kind of is. And I don't think the provincial amount has much to do with it. No 700 million would mean no bid.
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #1090
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
sort of like calgary's bid?
No, nothing like Calgary's bid. The vast majority of the events on the Calgary bid plan will be held within a 90 minute drive from downtown Calgary.

If you look at the planned schedule for the 2022 Games, there will be 109 medal events. If those same events are held in 2026, 101 of those 109 medals will be competed for in either Canmore, Nakiska, or Calgary (subject to the curling location). Only 8 of the 109 will be competed for in Whistler.

The Italian plan has only hockey, figure skating, and short track being held in Milan (16 medals). The rest of the events will be held in either Cortina or various cities between Milan and Cortina.

The Swedish plan has all of the ice events (hockey, figure skating, speed skating, short track, and curling), cross country, biathlon, snowboard big air, and parallel slalom skiing to be held in the Stockholm area. Ski jumping and Nordic combined are planned for Falun, over 200km from Stockholm. The sliding events will be in Latvia, almost 500km from Stockholm. The remaining ski and snowboard events will be in Are, over 500km from Stockholm. A little over half the total medals will be awarded in competitions held within the Stockholm metro area. The rest will be over 200km away.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #1091
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They have to rejig the Nordic events, like basically create new courses for the cross country races which would include seating and buildings. And while the jump facilities are good to go now, they expect to have a bunch of improvements to do in eight years. And also the athletes village is now occupied by residents so there would be some issues finding existing housing for athletes. And of course security. You know for sure if Calgary is paying they will make it as cushy as possible for themselves.
just like Calgary wants it as cushy as possible from the province and federal taxpayers.

what's good for the goose...

Old 10-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #1092
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could mean the plebiscite is doomed, could just show the "No" side is way more enthusiastic, but interesting that on the City of Calgary engagement site that 73% of people strongly disagree with submitting a bid.

https://engage.calgary.ca/2026Games?...t=%2F2026games
Old 10-15-2018, 01:19 PM   #1093
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bleachers and housing would fall under operational costs (same with security - at least that is to say from the same pot of security money as Calgary, Canmore, and Nakiska), I believe already accounted for in the bid. Whistler definitely has the housing capacity for that number of athletes and media - it will cost Xmas week rates, but nothing new will need to be built.

Why would the nordic courses have to be rejigged from 2010? In 2026, the Whistler facilities will be at least 16 years old - they will naturally have received a few fresh coats of paint and some new lightbulbs by then, as would have happened regardless.

BC isn't going to be on the hook for any notable costs (unless they are mutually negotiated). They're just getting a bonus fortnight of full hotels and restaurants.
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #1094
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

BC getting any benefits from our bid is also a big reason to vote No on this.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #1095
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Bleachers and housing would fall under operational costs (same with security - at least that is to say from the same pot of security money as Calgary, Canmore, and Nakiska), I believe already accounted for in the bid. Whistler definitely has the housing capacity for that number of athletes and media - it will cost Xmas week rates, but nothing new will need to be built.

Yeah that's not true though. They might be able to accommodate the crowds but WSL is already planning more housing for sporting events since most of thier's is completely full with staff housing and they want Calgary's Olympic bid to help fund their new building....

Quote:
The hostel in Cheakamus could also provide accommodation, Soane added, while a new WSL apartment building currently pending approval could fill any gaps. “We were going to build that anyways so it’s not going to be a legacy of the Calgary Games, but they certainly could help fund that with some capital,”
Quote:
Why would the nordic courses have to be rejigged from 2010? In 2026, the Whistler facilities will be at least 16 years old - they will naturally have received a few fresh coats of paint and some new lightbulbs by then, as would have happened regardless

That's not accurate either. Notley can send light bulbs but there are other issues.

Quote:
WOP’s ski jumps are, “ready to go today,” explained Roger Soane, president and CEO of WSL. However, he cautions that it may not be the case eight years down the road. While it would be decidedly less costly than renovating or building new jumps in Calgary, there would need to be trail work to reconfigure start and finish lines; temporary seating for spectators needs to be built; and potential upgrades to WOP’s refrigeration system and a chairlift installed ahead of any Olympic events

There has been development all around the 2010 xcountry courses and so they have to recreate course areas and add new infrastructure. And as they said, the ski jump may be obsolete by 2026 or at the very least, require more substantial upgrades.

Quote:
BC isn't going to be on the hook for any notable costs (unless they are mutually negotiated). They're just getting a bonus fortnight of full hotels and restaurants.

That I totally agree with. Also, the fact is that no one really knows what the plan or the cost would be. There are many different opinions on cost to refurbish Calgary and cost to spruce up Whistler.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/2...-calgary-2026/
Old 10-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #1096
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
BC getting any benefits from our bid is also a big reason to vote No on this.
Despite they fact the BC taxpayer would be paying ~ 5% of the cost? Just putting that out there.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #1097
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Despite they fact the BC taxpayer would be paying ~ 5% of the cost? Just putting that out there.
I'm assuming the 5% is their share of the Federal money that would fund the Olympics? It still doesn't move the needle for me, they'd be paying that money to the Government no matter what so it's really a sunk cost for them. We as a Province and City would be bearing most of the costs if this goes through, paying a lot extra for BC to get a decent amount of spinoff benefits.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #1098
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I'm assuming the 5% is their share of the Federal money that would fund the Olympics? It still doesn't move the needle for me, they'd be paying that money to the Government no matter what so it's really a sunk cost for them. We as a Province and City would be bearing most of the costs if this goes through, paying a lot extra for BC to get a decent amount of spinoff benefits.
Correct, and yes I was just putting the number out there to point out that whatever benefit BC (or elsewhere) receives is not 100% free since all Canadians would be ponying up for this.

And by that token Calgarians would be on the hook for more than just 1/3 of the cost (assuming a 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3) Municipal-Provincial-Federal split, and I am guessing that is how it breaks down. So really a Calgary taxpayer would be responsible for 1/3 (Municipal) + 0.25(1/3) (Provincial) + 0.03 (1/3) Federal= 42% of the total cost if you ballpark it.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #1099
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
These advertisements suggesting you should consult your kids before voting is idiotic. WTF do they know? If I consulted my kids, they would want Alberta to secede and join Disneyland.
Right? My kids (and most everyone else's) would rather watch Youtube and Twitch streamers than the Olympics on TV, regardless of where they are.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:57 PM   #1100
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Assuming this story is true, and nenshi is quoted correctly He has now completely lost me.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4552048/n...ince-olympics/

He figures that the city paying more than the province for his vanity project is a bad deal for the city.

I am sure the folks in Medicine Hat or red cliff want the province to be picking up the lions share of something for the city.