Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2018, 07:14 AM   #161
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
And all the testimony in the world is unlikely to override clear physical evidence – such as the perpetrator being caught on video doing something that requires intent.

This is not a civil case where someone is caught on tape hurting another person. This happens in a hockey game where people regularly slash, whack and tackle other players.

By your logic these all should be judged as intent to injure which they aren't- they are penalized by penalties such as slashing or roughing.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 07:22 AM   #162
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post
You're totally missing the point. The enforcer doesn't even have to fight. Him being dressed is enough of a deterrent to not take liberties with your star players. If you think otherwise you should watch the documentary ice guardians it makes a great case why enforcers are still needed in today's games.
This is a nice story but not bearing in reality. There was a ton more dirty play when the league was loaded with enforcers than there is now with very few.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:34 AM   #163
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Matheson does his best "WWE" slam on Pettersson - Phone hearing scheduled

The fact that there is a debate about if this is a hockey play or not is a sad statement in itself. The hit and the pin are fine, but the extra push to the ice when Petterson is already offbalance/falling is over the line. I don’t care if Matheson was “in the moment” or whatever, it’s still a reckless and dangerous play.

I hope those of you arguing in favour of this kind of “play” ***don’t*** have children in hockey, because I’d like to see how quickly your opinion changes when the exact same play happens to your kid, and they end up with a brain injury.

This play isn’t part of the game, and never should be. Stupid, reckless, and dangerous.

EDIT: missed a very, very important word. I do not wish I’ll upon anyone’s child.

Last edited by Trailer Fire; 10-15-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Trailer Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trailer Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #164
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
I hope those of you arguing in favour of this kind of “play” have children in hockey, because I’d like to see how quickly your opinion changes when the exact same play happens to your kid, and they end up with a brain injury.
Classy.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #165
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 10-15-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:55 AM   #166
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I’m so set in my point that this is an unacceptable play that if you disagree with me... I hope your kid suffers brain damage.

Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Classy.

See above edit. Missed a very important word. I wish no harm on anyone’s children, and I don’t want to come off as that kind of person.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:08 AM   #167
RtotheK
Draft Pick

just like Monika Caryk
Old 10-15-2018, 08:15 AM   #168
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
The fact that there is a debate about if this is a hockey play or not is a sad statement in itself. The hit and the pin are fine, but the extra push to the ice when Petterson is already offbalance/falling is over the line. I don’t care if Matheson was “in the moment” or whatever, it’s still a reckless and dangerous play.

I hope those of you arguing in favour of this kind of “play” ***don’t*** have children in hockey, because I’d like to see how quickly your opinion changes when the exact same play happens to your kid, and they end up with a brain injury.

This play isn’t part of the game, and never should be. Stupid, reckless, and dangerous.

EDIT: missed a very, very important word. I do not wish I’ll upon anyone’s child.
Slashes, cross checks, and face punching also aren't part of the game and it feels to me like people here are changing the goal posts because of the particular player that got hurt as if this happens to a 3rd or 4th line player for any team it's not even news worthy. The play was unnecessary but I find it hard to believe it was premeditated intent to injure nor is the play over the top dirty. I think any check from behind into the boards is much more dangerous and dirty than that play and we saw Andersson take one of those shots Saturday night without even a penalty call on the play.

If anything I think this calls into question Pettersson's ability to play in the league at his current weight. It was only game five after all and he's going to probably face more physical or even dirtier plays than that over the course of the season.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-15-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 09:16 AM   #169
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you see the difference in terms of "hockey play", though? Leaving aside face punching (which is part of a weird consensual ritual both players fighting agree to, otherwise it's a sucker punch and thus suspendable), typically, slashes and cross-checks are done for a clear hockey purpose. You slash a guy to prevent a scoring chance or to get him to give up the puck so your team can get it. You cross-check a guy in front of the net to clear your crease so your goalie can see the puck, and won't give up a goal. Even a some of the reckless headshots are done to relieve a puck carrier of the puck and hopefully generate a transition play (they're not all predatory, even if they're suspendable).

To the extent those plays are done deliberately and for no other reason than to hurt the opponent, serving no hockey purpose, they're potentially suspendable too. If you're nowhere near the puck and cross-check an unsuspecting player in a way that could lead to injury, you deserve a call from the DOPS.

Here, pinning Pettersson to the boards serves a hockey purpose. You take him out of the play and allow the puck to get to your teammate so it can go the other way, and if you hold on a bit long (which might be interference or holding), that serves a hockey purpose too, because there's more open ice for your team's rush. But once that puck is heading up ice, there's no hockey purpose to putting your stick between the guy's legs and slamming him into the ice. There's a decent chance that a guy falling in that way could get hurt, and you've deliberately made him fall that way (in violent fashion). That's reckless and doesn't serve a hockey purpose.

That's why I don't think you can call it a hockey play. The first part of what Matheson did is a hockey play, for sure, but no one's complaining about the first part.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 09:23 AM   #170
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
This is a nice story but not bearing in reality. There was a ton more dirty play when the league was loaded with enforcers than there is now with very few.
Then why are the stars of today getting injured way more then back then. Gretzky Lemieux etc never had to worry about concussions as much as today's NHL. That is why I'll never be convinced that the NHL is more capable of protecting their players. Imo it's not huge detterent suspending a player a few games here and there while salaries are through the roof. Today guys can afford to miss games and still live their lives normally like nothing has even happened. Put a guy like George Larauque in the line up and that guy is ####ting himself for the next week even if he doesn't have to fight him. Call it barbaric but it actually makes sense. I guess we can agree to disagree .

Last edited by locsofblu; 10-15-2018 at 09:27 AM.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:32 AM   #171
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by locsofblu View Post
Then why are the stars of today getting injured way more then back then. Gretzky Lemieux etc never had to worry about concussions as much as today's NHL.
Your memory is faulty then bro. Enforcers did not save stars like Paul Kariya, Eric Lindros and Marc Savard from being concussed multiple times and knocked out of the league due to concussions in Savard’s case.

The stars of today aren’t getting injured way more than back then. You’re just failing to remember it accurately.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #172
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Also, the way we dealt with concussions back then was smelling salts and get back out there.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 09:50 AM   #173
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, back then, shoulder pads looked like this.

At last check, this year's line of pads is pretty much a reproduction of what the Legion of Doom used to wear... and I'm not talking about the Flyers' line.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:52 AM   #174
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Elias Petter-slam

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saXon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 09:59 AM   #175
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Your memory is faulty then bro. Enforcers did not save stars like Paul Kariya, Eric Lindros and Marc Savard from being concussed multiple times and knocked out of the league due to concussions in Savard’s case.

The stars of today aren’t getting injured way more than back then. You’re just failing to remember it accurately.
True back then those were classified as legal hits I'm not saying that it was perfect back then because it definitely wasn't but after watching that documentary ice guardians it really makes a good case for having someone out there policing the players.
Let's say there's no discipline assessed or he gets a fine and Pettersson mises a substantial amount of time because if this? Then really where is the deterrent for buddy to not do the exact same thing again? It's a valid argument and call me old school but it's just how I feel.
But I appreciate the feed back.

Last edited by locsofblu; 10-15-2018 at 10:39 AM.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #176
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Bob MacKenzie just tweeted that Pettersson will be out at least 7–10 days. He will likely miss four games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #177
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kinda comical twitter thread, with respect to the responses Francis is getting here...(comical in the “That didn’t turn out how he expected” kind of way...)

https://twitter.com/ericfrancis/stat...093478400?s=21
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:26 AM   #178
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtastic View Post
Kinda comical twitter thread, with respect to the responses Francis is getting here...(comical in the “That didn’t turn out how he expected” kind of way...)

https://twitter.com/ericfrancis/stat...093478400?s=21
This one better win:
Elias Petter-Slam
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #179
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #180
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

So when was the hearing, anyway? Given they bothered to schedule one means they're going to be thinking of the children and at least fining Matheson. Hopefully no more than that.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote