Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2019, 09:58 AM   #21
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think my coolest moment was in the EA NHL game when it first came out on PlayStation , me and a buddy played a playoff series and he ended up winning the cup, as he was skating around I was able to go up to him and start a fight.. lol not sure why but still cracks me up when I think about it. ( loved that game we usually stopped worrying about score and focused on who would have the most fights and penalties in the game.)
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:03 AM   #22
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I was a monster on NHL online ranked play. I had a 80%+ win rate on the last NHL game I owned, but haven't had a playstation or Xbox in years.

I loved playing as the predators in their horrible mustard jerseys. They were a bottom tier team in stats, but their team composition was great for puck stealing and possession. I'd play them against high ranked players with a stacked team and barely let them touch the puck. Every rage quit and nasty message I received was pure joy]
Back in the day my buddies and I would hang out drinking and playing NHL before and after watching real hockey games. One of the times we got a guy to rage the most we were winning like 6-0, pulled our own goalie for the last 5 minutes of the game and actually ended up scoring on him again and maintained the shutout. It was glorious.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I forget what football game it was on the Playstation, but me and my buddy were playing it with custom teams. He was basically kicking the crap out of me, and then he starts laughing and points out that the fans had all left.

That's right my hometown team had completely disloyal fans and there were maybe 10 people left in the stadium animations.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #24
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Coolest moment was probably when I beat Atheon for the first time in Destiny. My brother in law had introduced me to the game a while back, but he and his friends basically carried me through any difficult encounter. Atheon was old news by the time I joined, but I went back and found a team of people who also had not completed it and we did the entire raid together - it was such a satisfying feelings to have done it as a contributing member of the team.
Old 11-26-2019, 05:13 PM   #25
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Playing WoW back in 2004 and seeing a horde player for the first time
Riding into Mexico in Red Dead redemption

I'm sure more will pop up now I'm thinking about it but that's two that quickly popped into my head.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:19 PM   #26
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Desert Combat mod for BF1942. Strafing an Iraqi tank in an A-10 while an Apache fired on the infantry on the adjacent objective while out own infantry pushed in.

That game was so ahead of its time
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:40 PM   #27
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a few that stand out:

1) Having C&C Red Alert LAN parties at my friend's house. This was back when we had to bring our entire desktop setups and navigate extension cords and no WiFi.

2) Rushing home after school to get the dial-up going for an all night session with friends in CounterStrike and TFC.

3) The first and maybe only time I finished the original Mortal Kombat by constantly leg sweeping Goro. For some reason Shang Tsung wasn't as difficult.

4) Riding into Mexico set against Jose Gonzalez's Far Away in Red Dead Redemption. It was dark and rainy, and the ambiance was just really cool. Could never recreate the same environment on further play throughs.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:25 PM   #28
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Potato Standing By View Post
I think my coolest moment was in the EA NHL game when it first came out on PlayStation , me and a buddy played a playoff series and he ended up winning the cup, as he was skating around I was able to go up to him and start a fight.. lol not sure why but still cracks me up when I think about it. ( loved that game we usually stopped worrying about score and focused on who would have the most fights and penalties in the game.)
It was so easy to get in a fight in that game. My friend and I used to play “Penalty Hockey” instead of trying to score.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #29
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely the first 5 minutes of Super Mario 64. Also that scene in Ocarina of Time when you leave the forest for the first time. Or fighting Ganondorf for the second time.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #30
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back in like 2002-2003, I played Jedi Knight 2 a lot online. One of the things that some people would do would be join a server and just lightsaber duel. The game had three stances - light (blue) medium (yellow) and heavy (red), so there was at least some variety and skill involved. Most of the good players leaned heavily on red but I was more reliant on yellow. Anyway I was generally not the best guy on any given server, but there was one week where I guess I must have been in a zone or playing more than usual because I just obliterated everyone, including people who I could previously never beat. It was fun when people who were expecting to win were just suddenly going "how are you suddenly this good". That's literally my only memory of feeling like I was actually good at a multiplayer video game. For the most part I suck at them. Part of why I don't FPS.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

In terms of greatest personal reaction to a video game. And yes its a Star Wars game of course. I remember my jaw dropping, I had a feeling about it, but it was one of the great video game moments

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #32
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always been a bit of a gamer, but here's a few of my favorites:

- Original Halo: we'd link 2 xboxes together and have 4v4 LAN parties before online matchmaking was available. Was amazing to make a big play and hear the expletive come from the other room.

- Halo 3: competed in several tournaments online and in person. Came close to making a pro team that played in MLG events.

- WoW: hit Gladiator for several seasons in duos playing discipline priest/rogue, which if anyone knows about that team comp, was really hard to do against the typical high level duos (hunter/mage, mage/rogue, rogue/warlock, warrior/paladin). Being able in general to walk into a massive PvP event (warsong, arathi, etc) and almost singlehandedly take over the lobby was a blast.

- Destiny: Peak trials in Destiny 1 is one of the highest skill FPS encounters I've seen, and going flawless every week on 3 characters was always a challenge and a lot of fun. IIRC there was another poster on CP who was getting matched up against guys who make their living playing in tournaments and such. Fun. Also, the raids and learning how each specific fight needed to be undertaken was a cool experience. Soloing Crota was a fun one too.

I really appreciated the OOT reference too, loved that game and spent lots of hours on it. Not sure if anyone else tried it out, but Ogre Battle 64 is one hell of a game as well, and one that I dust off and play through every now and then over the holidays.

One that I haven't seen mentioned was original Diablo 2 (pre-expansion). That was by far my favorite game growing up. So many hours of fun in PvP, PvE, and everything in between. The stress of finding a hidden spot somewhere in an open lobby to transfer a hoard of loot to a mule.....praying the lobby doesn't close or someone find your gear before you log back in....

Currently I'm married with two kids, so my days of real gaming are long gone. But I'm having fun with League of Legends on the PC and APEX on the Xbox at the moment, and managed to hit Platinum rank on both, which is somewhere in the middle of good and bad I think.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #33
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone talking about the glory days of Battlefield needs to play Squad. Just last night I had a moment that reminded me of this thread.

British trying to attack an Insurgent airfield, my squad built a forward operating base to set up mortar positions, when armour and another infantry squad tried to push ahead. Two APC's get destroyed immediately, so the tank and remaining infantry tried to fall back. Tank takes a hit to the track, which is damaged and the tank can't move. Motors fire smoke grenades to try and cover the immobilized tank but the enemy uses that same smoke to close in and finish it off. Armour support all gone, fob is now defended only by light infantry. Our mortars get taken out by enemy mortars, then the enemy covers their approach with smoke. Before I know it we're overwhelmed and an IED gets detonated, destroying the last of our fob. and I get killed by mortars trying to fall back.

This all lasted maybe 2 minutes, and even though my team got wrecked, it was pretty intense. You just don't get that level of intensity in a game like call of duty
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 02:23 PM   #34
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I remember the game X-Wing Vs TieFighter, which had a pretty good multi-player component to it.
in the original X-Wing game, I recall the first mission's goals were something ridiculously easy, like scanning 3 freighters. but if you waited around long enough an Imperial frigate would show up and start launching waves of TIEs. I would blast through every squadron they had, and then launch solo hit and run attacks on the frigate until it died too.

I remember doing that for any mission where an enemy capital ship was just kicking around after mission objects were completed. I was the original Poe Dameron.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #35
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I remember encountering "The Butcher" in some version of Diablo. I recall being spooked about how creepy it was.

Why Diablo’s Butcher remains my favorite childhood villain

https://www.polygon.com/2017/1/4/141...-diablo-3-fear
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #36
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
in the original X-Wing game, I recall the first mission's goals were something ridiculously easy, like scanning 3 freighters. but if you waited around long enough an Imperial frigate would show up and start launching waves of TIEs. I would blast through every squadron they had, and then launch solo hit and run attacks on the frigate until it died too.

I remember doing that for any mission where an enemy capital ship was just kicking around after mission objects were completed. I was the original Poe Dameron.

The biggest thrill in X-Wing and the coolest moment, was the first time you're fighting a Imperial Frigate, and you're handling it, and suddenly you see that streak of light and there's an Imperial Star Destroyer barfing out Tie Fighters.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2019, 06:21 PM   #37
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Back in WoW being in the top 25 of guilds to down Black Temple and Sunwell. (Raids) Back then being in a guild like that was a second job and was pretty addicted

Destiny scratches that itch now. If I had to name 5 top gaming moments they would all link back to clearing raids for the first time.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:34 PM   #38
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I was a monster on NHL online ranked play. I had a 80%+ win rate on the last NHL game I owned, but haven't had a playstation or Xbox in years.

I loved playing as the predators in their horrible mustard jerseys. They were a bottom tier team in stats, but their team composition was great for puck stealing and possession. I'd play them against high ranked players with a stacked team and barely let them touch the puck. Every rage quit and nasty message I received was pure joy.

In NHL '08 back when cheap goals were king, I ranked all the way up to #37 worldwide playing as Team Slovakia. My opponents would openly wonder on through their mic why the hell I picked Slovakia. I did it because Marian Gaborik was the fastest player in the game but I still couldn't stand the Wild. As soon as I got the puck as Gaborik, I could out-skate anyone to the opponents blueline and score from anywhere in the O-zone with the ol' curve-to-the-left-and-shoot-right trick. That cheap shot would go in 99% of the time and it won me many a tournament.

I was so cheap at that move that my good buddy who I was friends with for 15+ years rage quit on me the last time we ever spoke. We were supposed to go to the Stampede the next day and he never showed up at our meeting spot. Never bothered to message me or return any calls. Still to this day, I haven't talked to him since that game.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 11-28-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:58 PM   #39
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

A couple come to mind

Being the last man standing vs 5 in a competitive CS:S match and taking them all out on dust2.

Halo 1: I remember vividly killing one of my friends and turning around shooting an RPG to the other end of the map, about 30 seconds later he respawns and grabs a warthog and starts driving. What felt like 5 minutes later he gets rocked by this rocket and has a huge spaz and leaves my house

Playing Tribes 2 and hitting MAs was the best. Still the best FPS I've ever played.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:10 PM   #40
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think generally grinding through Diablo. Such a unique and awesome game for 1995. The magic continued with Diablo II.

The details and story of Assassin's Creed II was mindblowing and I couldn't get enough of the open world genre. The first time you sync a viewpoint and the camera pans around renaissance Italian towns just wow.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote