Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:
Question Moving Downtown: Street Use Permit from City for Moving Truck

Anyone ever move into a house/building with city controlled public street parking out front? Where did the moving truck park? I want to make sure the moving truck isn't blocking the narrow street or get fined.

I'm a little surprised neither my moving company or property manager had any info when I asked them about it. So I called 311 and they said it was easy breezy, just apply for street use and no parking permits. Except the city website is really sparse on the details of how this works.

311 also said the city would set up the no parking zone for me for an extra fee but didn't know how much extra. All they knew was that the street use permit is $25/day and the no parking permit was free and that I need both. But the website says the applicant is solely responsible for obtaining signs from a 3rd party and setting them up, which I found very odd.

Does all this sound right? The city puts up signs and I'm good to go for $25?

TIA.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-31-2021 at 03:16 PM. Reason: clarity
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 12:32 PM   #2
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

BIL did the same thing for a storage container he was unloading from.

Sounds exactly like what you did.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:25 PM   #3
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

so just throwing on the 4-way flashers won't cut it??
Old 07-31-2021, 01:26 PM   #4
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Honestly, that's what I thought at first but apparently it could get me/the moving truck ticketed. Also, I'm a bit concerned the other residents of that street may not appreciate having the street blocked all morning.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:42 PM   #5
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends on what is out front. If there is a ParkPlus zone out front then just park the truck and activate/reactivate a parking session.

If there is no park plus then you may have to go with a lane closure. I haven't done it in awhile but you get the permit, which is pretty cheap, then put up the signs. If you pick up the signs from the traffic supply place and put them out yourself I think it was either no cost or a very cheap sign rental. You will need a 1/2 ton or a van probably, the signs are full size. Alternately they can put the signs out, and pick them up, for you but there is a cost associated with that. Again it's been awhile but I think it was a couple hundred bucks or so?

It's rare that you need a lane closure, usually there is a parking zone out front of a building. You might need to park a couple of vehicles out front to hold a spot for the truck, or go to Princess Auto and get some of those cheap pylons to put out. Really this shouldn't be your problem, the moving company should have enough of a clue to get the job done. I'd make sure it's understood that if they get a ticket that it's their responsibility.

Also, might sound silly, but look around to see if there is a loading zone out front somewhere or out back.

Last edited by Jacks; 07-31-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 05:04 PM   #6
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Thanks, I did ask the property manager if there’s a loading zone in the back where the entrance to the parking garage is but they are useless and haven’t replied.

The front street has 4 hour (9 hour?) parking but I imagine there will be cars occupying the spaces I need given the neighborhood.

I’m not arriving until Saturday, moving Sunday so I’m a bit concerned about picking up the signs. 311 didn’t know how that worked and the useless city website had no info on where to get them. I figured it would just be a few of those “no parking” cones you put on the grass. If that’s several hundred, I’m gonna be pissed.

Oh and the movers explicitly said parking was my responsibility. I figured they’d have this all worked out, or the building would since I’m paying a move in fee, but apparently not. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that all the responsibilities are mine.

Edit just checked google. 9 hour parking mon-sat but I’m moving Sunday. It is a payment zone so park plus except by permit.

I hadn’t thought of parking our vehicles there the night before. That could work but leaves us at risk when we go meet the truck at my old place.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-31-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:39 PM   #7
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Normally even if there are cars in the Parkplus lane spots will open up eventually as people come and go, if it's free parking on Sunday then there might be cars there all day. If you are getting lane closure signs they are usually those full size signs with an "A" frame on either end and then a 6'ish board that goes between the frames. Again, it's been a few years so maybe they are smaller signs now. If you go with the lane closure you will need to put out the signs the night before. I'd probably take a chance on putting some pylons out the night before and hope no one moves them.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:55 PM   #8
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Yeah technically this is regular old street parking, not a “lane” so I’m hoping I won’t need full on lane closure signs.

It’s not actually downtown, more like near downtown. Beltline I guess?
Old 07-31-2021, 06:05 PM   #9
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does your building have a rear access to the lane? When I lived in Beltline, the building had rules that I had to unload from the alley side through the loading/garbage room and not through the street entrance.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 06:09 PM   #10
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

It does and I’ve emailed the property manager but they haven’t responded yet. I’m just trying to have all my bases covered. I tried calling them on Friday but couldn’t get thru.

I’m not overly worried but since I’m out of town I want to make sure I don’t leave anything to chance. Thankfully I still have a week to figure everything out, so I’m sure I’ll get it sorted before next weekend.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:12 PM   #11
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you need me to run by and scope anything out I don’t live too far and it wouldn’t be any trouble.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 06:14 PM   #12
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Thank you! If I need a set of eyes, I may PM you.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:54 PM   #13
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

We’ve got permitted residential parking on our street… and there was street cleaning on our moving day. We YOLO’d it, the movers just told us “they know folks gotta move, we’ll park the truck and get working.”

I admit we’re on a pretty quite street and the sweepers had already passed by the time we parked luckily, but in my mind I was thinking along the lines of “Well I’m paying for this truck, and these movers, if the crews are really looking to make an issue of it I’ll be making a call between having the movers disappear for an hour, or the cost of a ticket… either way we’re getting moved today”

Honestly a Sunday in a metered zone… you’re probably fine, I doubt the parking authority is even out.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2021, 06:53 AM   #14
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I second YOLOing it.

For my first place in downtown, there was a dedicated surface lot around back, but for my second and third (all three were high-rises), the guys just parked the truck out front and went for it. Never got a permit for any of them.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2021, 09:50 AM   #15
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

For signs, you can rent them from ATS Traffic. Get no parking signs and block off a zone for the truck. The permit is needed should you need to enforce it and have people towed.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk