Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2021, 08:44 PM   #41
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Plus. Hanifin and Eichel are great friends!
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:45 PM   #42
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
jack

eichel
Someone restrain Ashasx before he breaks into Treliving's office and does this

Old 07-30-2021, 08:46 PM   #43
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eichel is actually just going to LTIRetire on the Sabres lol
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:49 PM   #44
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
With a neck held together with a $1,000 part. Very concerning.

These replacement discs unusually rely on the bone in the spine to grow into the device to keep it in place and promote stability. This takes time. Something to consider.
Honestly, considering the pieces being discussed here (Dube/Valimaki/Monahan), it's a risk worth taking. My only holdup would be protection on any 2022 or 2023 firsts due to Bedard/Wright/Michkov. Protect those picks from those three players, and I don't care if this gamble fails. LTIRetirement for Eichel, and you rebuild. At least you went down swinging. That's what sports is about. Whether it was the 2019 Bluejackets or the 2014 Kings, they went for it.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 08:51 PM   #45
Flamesfan2010
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
So if Eichel gets the surgery, will he even play next season?

If you read the article in the first post it says he will be able to play by the start of the season if he gets the surgery done soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Flamesfan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamesfan2010 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 08:52 PM   #46
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
So at this point in my mind it's happening.

I'm allowing myself to get excited. Let's go win a Cup.

I refuse to get too excited until I know it's actually happening. This is the Flames we're talking about. We very rarely get to have nice things, and at this point I'm pretty much at peace with the fact that we'll likely get screwed once again. It is what it is.

But if by some miracle this does happen? Holy s***. I might actually cry.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 08:54 PM   #47
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Honestly, considering the pieces being discussed here (Dube/Valimaki/Monahan), it's a risk worth taking. My only holdup would be protection on any 2022 or 2023 firsts due to Bedard/Wright/Michkov. Protect those picks from those three players, and I don't care if this gamble fails. LTIRetirement for Eichel, and you rebuild. At least you went down swinging. That's what sports is about. Whether it was the 2019 Bluejackets or the 2014 Kings, they went for it.
I completely agree. Go down swinging. The worst thing that could possibly happen if the Flames go for Eichel and it doesn’t work out is a rebuild. Sign me up for the risk.

We’re spinning our tires anyways!
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 08:57 PM   #48
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to buy a sweet Eichel jersey
Monahammer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 08:57 PM   #49
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Give them whatever they want other than the 2022 and 2023 1st
I'd rather give up two Firsts, Valamaki, a high prospect/roster player, lower prospect and keep Monahan, if you can figure out the cap.

With Monahan and Eichel, we'd have an elite top 6 (Eichel, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Monahan, Lindholm, Mangiapane or Coleman) and a great 3rd line too.

That team should finish high enough in the standings that the 1st round picks aren't stellar anyway.

If they're really in a win-now mode, don't worry about picks that you can instantly turn into roster players.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:58 PM   #50
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
So if Eichel gets the surgery, will he even play next season?
According to the release from the agent, had Buffalo allowed him to get the surgery when he wanted to, he would have been back for the start of the season. Sounds around 3 months recovery.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 08:58 PM   #51
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I completely agree. Go down swinging. The worst thing that could possibly happen if the Flames go for Eichel and it doesn’t work out is a rebuild. Sign me up for the risk.

We’re spinning our tires anyways!
I agree, but does Tre agree? Eichel blows up in our face he’s gone in maybe a year.

If he doesn’t make that trade and we do our normal playoffs and keep it close he could do that forever here.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:01 PM   #52
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan2010 View Post
If you read the article in the first post it says he will be able to play by the start of the season if he gets the surgery done soon

There in lies the problem. There is a massive difference of opinion on this point. Eichel’s camp is all sunshine and a unicorns, trying to get you to believe the problem will be magically cured by a surgery never done in an NHL player. The Sabres are much more pragmatic on this and leaving it to the medical experts to make the call. Their opinion is quite different and they weigh risk into the equation. Anyone who is not weighing risk with any surgery is a fool, especially spinal surgery. Recovery time could be as little as two-three months, but could be multiples of that if there are any complications. There just isn’t enough information to make a definitive call, and when you’re talking about a $10M investment you do all the due diligence possible. An organization as risk adverse as the Flames makes question where they stand on this.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:03 PM   #53
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Vegas out of the bidding, apparently..

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...2410380/?lkjlj
Well, duh. It was obvious for some time that they just couldn't make it work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:03 PM   #54
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
Rangers
Eastern Conference

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:09 PM   #55
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Think this plays into the flames’ hands. If you’re the Sabres’ GM, this kind of public statement would make me angry. If the offers from 2-3 teams are close, I’ll choose to send him to the city I think he’d least prefer. Which between Anaheim and Calgary… it’s likely Calgary.

stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:10 PM   #56
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Eastern Conference
Not just EC, but in the same state! That's like trading Gaudreau to ENG.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 09:16 PM   #57
Your Calgary Flames!
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
There in lies the problem. There is a massive difference of opinion on this point. Eichel’s camp is all sunshine and a unicorns, trying to get you to believe the problem will be magically cured by a surgery never done in an NHL player. The Sabres are much more pragmatic on this and leaving it to the medical experts to make the call. Their opinion is quite different and they weigh risk into the equation. Anyone who is not weighing risk with any surgery is a fool, especially spinal surgery. Recovery time could be as little as two-three months, but could be multiples of that if there are any complications. There just isn’t enough information to make a definitive call, and when you’re talking about a $10M investment you do all the due diligence possible. An organization as risk adverse as the Flames makes question where they stand on this.
Story time…

This is my personal experience and of course these guys have the best care so obviously different.

I have had multiple spinal surgeries do to the disks in my back. Shaving down the vertebrae (decompression) and disk is relatively simple. I do however have a numb knee that will never heal do to permanent nerve damage as the process to get surgery took too long. My brother has a spinal fusion in his back. This is quite a bit more serious and does pretty much limit harsh exercise.

I had a fellow come into my work and we were chatting it up before I went for surgery and he told me that he had a serious accident and that they wanted to do a disk replacement in his neck. Was pretty rare procedure at the time and could go side ways quick. It ended up going okay and he showed me the after pictures. I never asked how active he can be from that point on however.

Anyway. My personal opinion that a neck disk replacement is pretty serious. Obviously why they are having issues agreeing as what to do.

Edit: rare procedure

Last edited by Your Calgary Flames!; 07-30-2021 at 09:26 PM.
Your Calgary Flames! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Your Calgary Flames! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 09:17 PM   #58
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
What complications have they found more common in this surgery than fusion?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:22 PM   #59
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really understand why the Sabres are ####ing around with this. They could probably keep Eichel if they just let him have this surgery?
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:22 PM   #60
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To add to that, how do they define success for this kind of surgery? If they are trying to say he will be pain free and not have a risk of reinjury, diminished effectiveness, or a shortened career, I call their bluff.

He’s a $10 million player, but if I am Treliving, I would not assume $10 million worth of contributions from him.

For those just saying to rebuild if it doesn’t work, the deal would almost certainly mortgage the future. It would be a loooong road to rebuild.