Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2021, 10:40 AM   #41
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I worked at Calaway for a summer as a teen and vowed to never return. It is my personal hell.

That said, it’s a pretty unique feature of this small Canadian city. I don’t know how many city’s of 1m people that have a theme park like that.

There’s probably a reason for that.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:44 AM   #42
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Also I once saw a very young Glass Tiger play the main stage at Calaway.
Was pretty rad.
They'd be happy to know you didn't forget them when they left.

Poor reaction by Calaway, but I sympathize with them. Coming out of COVID, I'm sure the last thing they needed is poor publicity. They certainly didn't help themselves with that call though.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:44 AM   #43
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Probably.

Current children probably have no idea why its there. But its important to keep them guessing and getting them used to a pre-industrial age.

One day they may have to live in stone houses with no plumbing, but its unlikely a domesticated Brontosaurus is going to help them out....
I took a look online. Apparently the haunted house has been updated. The outside is still Flintstones themed, but it now consists of more than just that Hanna Barbara vampire character standing in the corner.

It looks like they've updated the log ride too. It's now timber industry themed, although the exact same ride. Man do I miss spending the day with wet underwear for no reason. Good times.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:44 AM   #44
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Also I once saw a very young Glass Tiger play the main stage at Calaway.
Was pretty rad.
I saw Gowan.

To this day when people ask, "What was your first concert?" ... I respond "Well, technically Gowan at Calaway Park, but that doesn't count."

/cool story

edit: Just noticed that Johnny Makarov was there as well

Last edited by scotty2hotty; 07-30-2021 at 10:47 AM.
scotty2hotty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotty2hotty For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 10:47 AM   #45
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I can also still remember what that log ride water tastes and smells like....adventure.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:48 AM   #46
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the "40 ft Fred" park (I think somewhere in BC) still around? I remember them advertising non stop on Calgary TV as a kid and because of all the hype of that park was excited for Calgary to get a Flintstones park at the time!
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:51 AM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I took a look online. Apparently the haunted house has been updated. The outside is still Flintstones themed, but it now consists of more than just that Hanna Barbara vampire character standing in the corner.

It looks like they've updated the log ride too. It's now timber industry themed, although the exact same ride. Man do I miss spending the day with wet underwear for no reason. Good times.
When I'm Dictator For Life all Amusement Parks will have Free Admission for one day.....and then I'll be locking the gates from the outside.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:51 AM   #48
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ha, I came here to post about Bedrock City. It was near Kelowna. It was a highlight of my youth...I don't remember a thing about it, except that we went there when I was little.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 10:56 AM   #49
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Ha, I came here to post about Bedrock City. It was near Kelowna. It was a highlight of my youth...I don't remember a thing about it, except that we went there when I was little.
I'm not sure I ever got to go, but I think I remember being an incredibly whiny brat about it every time we drove by.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:04 AM   #50
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any of you go to that 'Enchanted Forest?'

I highly recommend it. I never went as a kid, but I took my daughter there and that place is creepy as all hell. Its fantastic.

Its like an amusement park for children that was designed by space aliens who have never met a child.

I found it endlessly fascinating.

"Oh. Alright. I wonder why they thought this was a good idea..."

Its great! Definitely worth the price of admission.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 11:06 AM   #51
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought everyone just gets season passes at co-op or something, and that's almost the same price as a single entry.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #52
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Man, that log ride was hell on everyone.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:18 AM   #53
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Is the "40 ft Fred" park (I think somewhere in BC) still around? I remember them advertising non stop on Calgary TV as a kid and because of all the hype of that park was excited for Calgary to get a Flintstones park at the time!

Apparently some guy bought the sign with the intent of putting it up on his farm, but his wife said no:

https://infotel.ca/newsitem/kelownas...r-good/it63547

Damn wives, won't less us do anything cool.
Old 07-30-2021, 11:19 AM   #54
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
Man, that log ride was hell on everyone.
I was going to make a joke about that log ride but it would constitute actual Libel.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 11:21 AM   #55
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I thought everyone just gets season passes at co-op or something, and that's almost the same price as a single entry.
Quote:
Season Passes can be purchased from any Calgary Co-op location from:

Christmas Sale – November 8, 2020 to January 1, 2021 for $47.95+GST per pass – a savings of 63%!

Spring Sale – April 4 to June 7, 2021 for $57.95+GST per pass – a savings of 54%!
The season pass is exactly the same price as the one day admission. Kind of takes some of the steam out of this blogger's argument. I'm going to side with Calaway Park's lawyer on this one.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 11:24 AM   #56
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently some guy bought the sign with the intent of putting it up on his farm, but his wife said no:

https://infotel.ca/newsitem/kelownas...r-good/it63547

Damn wives, won't less us do anything cool.
Pretty cool link to Bedrock City in the comments.... I don't think that park was nearly as exciting as I remember it sounding.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:55 AM   #57
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kids love Calaway, adults enjoy it the first few times then it gets a little old until the kids are big enough to go on the real fun stuff together. That said, back in the day I'd spend whole days there with the friends hanging out and being goofs and seeing how many times we could do the same ride in one day. It never occurred to us then (or now) to compare to Wonderland or even Edmonton's West Ed... because it wasn't relevant and really still isn't. It's local, it's fun, it's "reliable", it's accessible, it's cheaper than babysitting (assuming a season pass, or the mega-discount day pass), it's relatively safe to drop teenagers off there for a day, and it's made a lot of great memories.

Could Calaway be better? oh heck yeah... it's pretty long in the tooth, needs some mega upgrades/replacements, but even without it's still not bad and IMO a whole lot better than the Stampede.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 12:06 PM   #58
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

We just buy the season's passes (that are the same price as one day of admission) and take the kids 3 or 4 times in the summer. They love it and it's a decent day out of the house for everyone.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:09 PM   #59
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
The season pass is exactly the same price as the one day admission. Kind of takes some of the steam out of this blogger's argument. I'm going to side with Calaway Park's lawyer on this one.
If you get them on sale. Regularly they are $128. Canada's Wonderland is $80 for a Season Pass.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:11 PM   #60
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
If you get them on sale. Regularly they are $128. Canada's Wonderland is $80 for a Season Pass.
I always assumed that locals will buy at the Co-Op. The added non-sale price is basically just a tax for out of towners.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Ace