Pink offers to pay bikini bottoms fine for Norway women's handball team

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-57967486
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

From floor-skimming skirts to skimpy bikini bottoms: A timeline of sexism in Olympics fashion

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-b1889203.html
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:06 AM   #3
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, I think its ridiculous to force the women to wear bikinis for things like handball or beach volleyball... people should be allowed what makes them feel comfortable and perform at their peak.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:35 AM   #4
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

how about this one? Media going gaga, voted sexiest athlete in Tokyo.

Quiz:

1. Where is she from?
2. What sport is she in?

Spoiler!

Answer:

Spoiler!

Last edited by GirlySports; 07-26-2021 at 12:03 PM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:43 AM   #5
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

New rule: unless it gives you an unfair competitive advantage, or violates some sort of broadcasting rule or legal agreement (i.e. advertising and sponsorship concerns), you can wear whatever the hell you want.

This isn't complicated.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #6
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I'll be the one to say it, but the shorts are just as sexy as the bikini bottoms. All the power to these women wearing what they are comfortable with though.

Ridiculous that the Olympics mandate the uniform. It should come from the national associations themselves.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:57 AM   #7
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I guess I'll be the one to say it, but the shorts are just as sexy as the bikini bottoms. All the power to these women wearing what they are comfortable with though.
but with spandex shorts there is less chance of a malfunction, i assume

Quote:
Ridiculous that the Olympics mandate the uniform. It should come from the national associations themselves.
BTW, the beach handball incident wasn't an IOC issue(not like I feel any need to defend the IOC), it was the governing body that took issue. The event was the World Championships

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 07-26-2021 at 12:09 PM.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 12:00 PM   #8
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
how about this one? Media going gaga, voted sexiest athlete in Tokyo.

Quiz:

1. Where is she from?
2. What sport is she in?

Spoiler!
1 - I have no idea
2 - I have no idea

But those photos seem to be taken outside of whatever sport she plays. This to me isn't the same issue. She seems to have posed for these photos, which is different from the voyeur level of photos that are taken at many female sporting events.

Quote:
Old 07-26-2021, 12:19 PM   #9
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
1 - I have no idea
2 - I have no idea

But those photos seem to be taken outside of whatever sport she plays. This to me isn't the same issue. She seems to have posed for these photos, which is different from the voyeur level of photos that are taken at many female sporting events.

I just added the answer.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:28 PM   #10
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I just added the answer.
Ok, but again those photos you posted are clearly from a "modelling shoot" or some type of promotional shoot.

To me this topic is about the "uniforms" females are forced to wear when they compete. We have all seen the 'classic" female beach volleyball photo taken from behind while the athlete is bent over in the "ready" position.

I feel like she would dislike being called the sexiest athlete even if she was running in a unitard.

Also the Beaverton is quality at times

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2016/08...XiTvkq6IStJSgg

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 01:32 PM   #11
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
but with spandex shorts there is less chance of a malfunction, i assume

BTW, the beach handball incident wasn't an IOC issue(not like I feel any need to defend the IOC), it was the governing body that took issue. The event was the World Championships
And it is worth noting that these governing bodies, like for beach volleyball, handball etc mandate skimpy uniforms for the sole purpose of promoting sex because it increases revenue for their sports.

It is an unfortunately side effect. These women may call for change but their leagues/championships/events/TV may dry up if they don't sexualize it.

Puts them in a tough spot.

Quote:
1 - I have no idea
2 - I have no idea

haha. I find that hilarious actually. Start an insta page and post a ton of scantily clad photos that have nothing to do with the sport she participates in. Photos that are designed to explicitly to sexualize her body and show off her looks (which is totally fine as long as she isn't being exploited by someone else and is comfortable showing off her body).

But don't you dare call her sexy!!!

Again, tough to profit off of your sex appeal and then admonish the "perverts" who perpetuate your fame and fortune.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-26-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:22 PM   #12
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ridiculous. I was watching some rowing the other night and felt bad for the Muslim women who were fully covered and rowing in the heat. At least that’s their decision though. Just let athletes wear whatever they can compete in.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:40 PM   #13
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, but again those photos you posted are clearly from a "modelling shoot" or some type of promotional shoot.

To me this topic is about the "uniforms" females are forced to wear when they compete. We have all seen the 'classic" female beach volleyball photo taken from behind while the athlete is bent over in the "ready" position.

I feel like she would dislike being called the sexiest athlete even if she was running in a unitard.

Also the Beaverton is quality at times

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2016/08...XiTvkq6IStJSgg
I didn't need to see that image again, but to be fair in men's diving, the dudes wear the swim equivalent to "tighty whities..."

I'd be happy to see those banned too!
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:43 PM   #14
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I certainly support women not being told to wear what amounts to underwear levels of coverage if they’d prefer not to.

But I’d stop way shot of letting athletes wear whatever they want. I believe at som point a uniform is important if for nothing more than symbolic respect for the sport and the stadium offered. I wouldn’t support office workers wearing whatever they want, I don’t support a baseball team not wearing their jersey, and I wouldn’t support our Olympic team wearing whatever they wanted.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:33 PM   #15
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
I didn't need to see that image again, but to be fair in men's diving, the dudes wear the swim equivalent to "tighty whities..."

I'd be happy to see those banned too!

This is an example of toxic masculinity and hetero-normative behavior.

“Har Har, I’m such a dude, I don’t like looking at other dudes bodies. See how hard I’m performing my heterosexuality?”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 08:41 PM   #16
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
This is an example of toxic masculinity and hetero-normative behavior.

“Har Har, I’m such a dude, I don’t like looking at other dudes bodies. See how hard I’m performing my heterosexuality?”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As a heterosexual male, I am in awe of a lot of the guys' bodies at the Olympics. Many physiques that men should aspire to have, but the tighty whities are a little much and something I could also do without lol
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2021, 09:27 PM   #17
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Ridiculous. I was watching some rowing the other night and felt bad for the Muslim women who were fully covered and rowing in the heat. At least that’s their decision though.
I mean, it's not really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
But I’d stop way shot of letting athletes wear whatever they want. I believe at som point a uniform is important if for nothing more than symbolic respect for the sport and the stadium offered.
Presumably there are some boundaries, but I didn't mean individual athletes wearing what they want.

Here you have the Norway team that came up with what they wanted their uniform to be and it doesn't give them any competitive advantage or in any way affect the way the sport is played. That doesn't really seem like much of a recipe for a slippery slope.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 07:03 AM   #18
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys are all talking like beach handball is some kind of legitimate sport. The best I can tell is it is only played in a handful of events a year. I would speculate they are only funded in any kind of form because they attract some spectators who like to watch women in bikinis diving and wrestling in the sand. I'm not sure this is too much different than one of those lingerie football teams deciding to start wearing t shirts and shorts.

I'd imagine desexualizing this sport would probably be the end of it, and maybe that's the right thing to happen, but it would feel like a hollow victory for the players, I'm sure. Although, I imagine one team switching to shorts and bringing a bunch of attention to this sport isn't going to be its downfall.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:18 AM   #19
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
haha. I find that hilarious actually. Start an insta page and post a ton of scantily clad photos that have nothing to do with the sport she participates in. Photos that are designed to explicitly to sexualize her body and show off her looks (which is totally fine as long as she isn't being exploited by someone else and is comfortable showing off her body).

But don't you dare call her sexy!!!

Again, tough to profit off of your sex appeal and then admonish the "perverts" who perpetuate your fame and fortune.
Yeah, this is a completely different thing from the handball/volleyball thing.
This is called modeling.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:56 AM   #20
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would say, decide what can be worn for both sexes in each sport, and make that the standard. If women have to wear bikini bottoms, then it's only fair that men have to too. If men can wear shorts, then so too can the women. I agree with the rest that I'm all for equality and not sexualizing uniforms that are different between sexes, but you can't just let it be a free for all for uniforms. There should still be a standard.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post: