Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2021, 11:58 PM   #21
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ptarmigan Cirque is also a fantastic <10km starter trail with good payoff.

It's just a little further out at about a 1h20m drive.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 01:59 PM   #22
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've done King Creek Ridge and Westwind Pass up too Windtower so far this year. Has anyone completed Tent Ridge Horseshoe? I'm thinking that might be the next one I complete

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 03:38 PM   #23
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hear a lot about Mist Mountain and various opinions on the degree of difficulty, but it has the natural hot springs about half way up, so it sees quite a lot of traffic because of that. AllTrails lists it as difficult, but a friend said her 8 year old did it without any problem, so YMMV.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 04:33 PM   #24
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I hear a lot about Mist Mountain and various opinions on the degree of difficulty, but it has the natural hot springs about half way up, so it sees quite a lot of traffic because of that. AllTrails lists it as difficult, but a friend said her 8 year old did it without any problem, so YMMV.
Its probably not too difficult from what I've gathered.

AT clarifies anything with any sustained moderate inclined that challenges an out of shape person as difficult.

I've avoided that one because the hot spring thing is no longer a secret and people are probably flocking out to it in droves now I'm sure.

Seen that the springs are also quite small, so it's only worth it if you're the only one up there. Chances of that are less likely nowadays.
Old 08-13-2021, 04:36 PM   #25
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
I've done King Creek Ridge and Westwind Pass up too Windtower so far this year. Has anyone completed Tent Ridge Horseshoe? I'm thinking that might be the next one I complete
Tent Ridge is great. Probably want to pack extra water for that one as its very exposed. Don't attempt any shortcuts though. I ended up in an awkward spot thinking I could cut across and shorten the horseshoe.

How did you like kings creek?
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 04:53 PM   #26
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Tent Ridge is great. Probably want to pack extra water for that one as its very exposed. Don't attempt any shortcuts though. I ended up in an awkward spot thinking I could cut across and shorten the horseshoe.

Thanks! I think that's the next one I'll do then. Kings Creek is an awesome hike, the trail is easy too follow and the views at the top are amazing. On the way up there's only a couple of scenic view points as it's through alot of trees. But overall the hike is worth it

Quote:
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 06:10 PM   #27
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Thanks! I think that's the next one I'll do then. Kings Creek is an awesome hike, the trail is easy too follow and the views at the top are amazing. On the way up there's only a couple of scenic view points as it's through alot of trees. But overall the hike is worth it

Quote:
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
Old 08-17-2021, 12:05 PM   #28
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

A little off topic, but still relevant to hiking. I'd like to get out more but am just not experienced and worried I'd run into trouble (animals, getting lost, not packed properly). Is there a website or YT video someone can recommend to show me the basics to help me get a little more confident?

The hardest/longest hike I've done I don't even remember the name, but think it was just west of the 66/22 junction by the Elbow. It was about 4 hours and my wife and I were getting concerned we were lost - sort of messed up enjoying ourselves. The other "longer" (and no it's not long at all) one was Heart Creek. Just to get a sense of how rookie I really am.
Old 08-17-2021, 12:28 PM   #29
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Mt. Lady Macdonald was the hardest one I did was a few years back. Holy crap that mountain kicked my ass. I was pretty out of shape at the time, obviously not really understand what I was getting myself into and to top things off a snow storm blew in out of nowhere about 3/4 of the way up but only lasted for about 5 minutes. The ascent was killer, my lungs were screaming the whole time. We scrambled up the scree to the knifes edge at the end and the entire thing became worth it in that moment. The vista, the feeling of accomplishment and of course the summit beer we had brought. It was such a rush. I need to get back out there this year, I really want to do Yamnuska and Ha Ling.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 12:32 PM   #30
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I was supposed to start the north over ridge loop today with a friend but with the storm upon that area of Alberta today we decided to only go in for one night tomorrow and stay at a bit lower elevation. Kinda bummed about it but the trail should still be there next year.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 02:06 PM   #31
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
A little off topic, but still relevant to hiking. I'd like to get out more but am just not experienced and worried I'd run into trouble (animals, getting lost, not packed properly). Is there a website or YT video someone can recommend to show me the basics to help me get a little more confident?

The hardest/longest hike I've done I don't even remember the name, but think it was just west of the 66/22 junction by the Elbow. It was about 4 hours and my wife and I were getting concerned we were lost - sort of messed up enjoying ourselves. The other "longer" (and no it's not long at all) one was Heart Creek. Just to get a sense of how rookie I really am.

I am not sure about videos, but if you’re concerned about getting lost, pick up an eTrex and keep up to date on trail reports for closures or detours. Join a few Slow & Steady hikers Meetups if you have time.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:47 PM   #32
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

I decided on Sarrail Ridge the other day instead of Tent Ridge. Sarrail is an amazing hike I'd recommend to anyone. It's relatively simple up too Rawson lake and then gets really steep the rest of the way. Anyone have any other recommendations for hikes with a nice view?

Hikes I've completed
Ha Ling
Prairie View/Yates Mountain
Prairie Mountain
Powderface Ridge
King Creek Ridge
Windtower Via Westwind Pass
Rawson Lake/Sarrail Ridge
Grassi Lakes, Grotto Canyon, Tunnel Mountain

Quote:
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
Old 08-27-2021, 08:57 PM   #33
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
I decided on Sarrail Ridge the other day instead of Tent Ridge. Sarrail is an amazing hike I'd recommend to anyone. It's relatively simple up too Rawson lake and then gets really steep the rest of the way. Anyone have any other recommendations for hikes with a nice view?

Hikes I've completed
Ha Ling
Prairie View/Yates Mountain
Prairie Mountain
Powderface Ridge
King Creek Ridge
Windtower Via Westwind Pass
Rawson Lake/Sarrail Ridge
Grassi Lakes, Grotto Canyon, Tunnel Mountain

I have enjoyed the Chester Lake, Elbow Lake, and Ribbon Falls.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 02:00 PM   #34
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wife and I are staying in Field this weekend without kids and hiking Emerald Lake, Twin falls and then using louise season passes to take gondola up and hike around lake louise ski area.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:38 PM   #35
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Wife and I are staying in Field this weekend without kids and hiking Emerald Lake, Twin falls and then using louise season passes to take gondola up and hike around lake louise ski area.
Good choices.

If you want a real experience do the Iceland trail to Twin Falls (I think it's Iceline to Whaleback to Twin Falls).

You'll have to sort of plot out the route as I'm not sure there's an official singular trail for that on the apps. But there's a network of paths that connect all of those spots.

Yoho Valley is a goldmine for epic scenery. Enjoy it.

As for near Louise I heard Hidden Lake is the one to do. Bright water and expansive scenery.

Last edited by djsFlames; 08-31-2021 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:45 PM   #36
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any one here hiked Smutwood Peak and can give a firsthand account of the trail?
Old 08-31-2021, 10:29 PM   #37
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good choices.

If you want a real experience do the Iceland trail to Twin Falls (I think it's Iceline to Whaleback to Twin Falls).

You'll have to sort of plot out the route as I'm not sure there's an official singular trail for that on the apps. But there's a network of paths that connect all of those spots.

Yoho Valley is a goldmine for epic scenery. Enjoy it.

As for near Louise I heard Hidden Lake is the one to do. Bright water and expansive scenery.
The full IceLine / Whaleback / Twin Falls is 27-30k and is a pretty significant undertaking relative to the mostly flat jaunt to twin falls. It is spectacular but certainly a big day.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:40 PM   #38
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The full IceLine / Whaleback / Twin Falls is 27-30k and is a pretty significant undertaking relative to the mostly flat jaunt to twin falls. It is spectacular but certainly a big day.
We hike pretty regularly so 30k is doable. Is it better to go twin-whaleback-iceline or

Iceline-whaleback-twin falls?
Hiked Yoho pass and around emerald lake today as a warmup since it’s been a few weeks since we’ve hiked
Old 09-03-2021, 05:50 PM   #39
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
We hike pretty regularly so 30k is doable. Is it better to go twin-whaleback-iceline or

Iceline-whaleback-twin falls?
Hiked Yoho pass and around emerald lake today as a warmup since it’s been a few weeks since we’ve hiked
I go Iceline, Whaleback, Twin, maypole connector

You get the iceline climb out of the way in the morning before the heat, you are facing the iceline side while hiking up so have better natural view (looking at the close glaciers instead of looking out over valleys), you go up the whaleback switchbacks and down into the cool valley area so again have better hiking views. And finally the hike out from twin falls is a nice easy flat 8k to end the day instead of the iceline decent ending your day.

This is based on my preference of steep ups then gradual down is better than steep down and gradual up and doing the harder parts early is better.

It’s also gives you a bailout after iceline before whaleback if weather or fitness is an issue and you still hit the best part.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:37 PM   #40
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

We decided we wanted to see twin falls from bottom first so we did twin falls, whaleback laughing falls out. With the side detours to the other falls and mapole lake? And wandering around viewpoints We still put on 27km

Amazing views on the this hike. I will say for anyone doing it from whaleback first that’s a pretty intense climb to the top.