Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2021, 10:40 AM   #41
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its a pass for me, Usually I go down with a buddy for one day, enter the lotto's get my corn dog, and some other tasty belt busting tweets, wander around, see the super dogs and on the way out get some mini donuts.

It just doesn't feel that appealing this year.

This is the exact same situation for us. We usually go every year for the exact reasons you stated. Definitely not going this year, and I may not go again for quite awhile, but we'll see. I can't think of a musical act I've liked that's played, so it's very rare, but that's one thing that could probably get me back.

With how much Stampede is being shoved down Alberta's throats, and how we bent over backwards for a mediocre carnival, I'm just annoyed when I see Stampede anything this year..
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:49 AM   #42
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yeah, I can just see a surge happening after Stampede and in about a month they'll be regret for rushing this thing in.
This is the same crappy viewpoint that everyone had when many states opened up (months and months ago) without a surge. All the scare mongering about packed ball games, concerts, basketball, hockey, have lead to no surge. And our vaccination rates are crazy higher than those states were at the time (and still are)

Get back to life, quit letting Covid run things, and quit letting people like this act like they're on a high horse (not directed at you CC) still. This isn't summer of 2020 pre-vaccine.

"Come hell or high fever" is about the dumbest slogan I've heard, and is a favorite around mask-Karens, rightfully so.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:54 AM   #43
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I told my early 20's fully vaxxed nephew that I believe covid is way down the list of diseases he could catch at Stampede
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #44
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll be going on Wednesday to see my favourite band. But I'll be wearing a mask and I always stand near the back or off to the side anyways (because I hate crowds), so I am not worried.

I just want to see some music, some fireworks, learn about the Sham wow, eat a corn dog and buy a dream home ticket like every year. That's what Stampede is for me.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 10:59 AM   #45
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
This is the same crappy viewpoint that everyone had when many states opened up (months and months ago) without a surge.
I thought I saw there has been a surge in the SE and Missouri?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/08/healt...day/index.html

Last edited by troutman; 07-09-2021 at 11:10 AM.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:22 AM   #46
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I thought I saw there has been a surge in the SE and Missouri?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/08/healt...day/index.html

Yes, primarily amongst the unvaccinated.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:36 AM   #47
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
This is the same crappy viewpoint that everyone had when many states opened up (months and months ago) without a surge. All the scare mongering about packed ball games, concerts, basketball, hockey, have lead to no surge. And our vaccination rates are crazy higher than those states were at the time (and still are)

Get back to life, quit letting Covid run things, and quit letting people like this act like they're on a high horse (not directed at you CC) still. This isn't summer of 2020 pre-vaccine.

"Come hell or high fever" is about the dumbest slogan I've heard, and is a favorite around mask-Karens, rightfully so.

Well the US has seen a 20% increase between last week and this week. They have more without the vax, sure, but our double dose numbers should have been higher before big events came back. The number of people without the vaccine in Alberta can still easily cause problems in our hospitals this fall.

We saw numbers drop last summer and skyrocket in the fall/early winter. These increases aren't instant. Hopefully the rules in places like NN help keep this from happening again.

There's a crappy viewpoint here, and it's one that lead to having more restrictions for longer than was needed, it's not from the people who would rather be a little more cautious.

People aren't saying don't open things up, they are saying maybe things Nashville North could have waited another month.

Last edited by AFireInside; 07-09-2021 at 11:43 AM.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 11:48 AM   #48
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

On another note....anyone who is heading down to the grounds and might have an interest in Indigenous Art please check out Neepin Auger's work at the BMO building.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 12:15 PM   #49
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
Well the US has seen a 20% increase between last week and this week.......

.....People aren't saying don't open things up, they are saying maybe things Nashville North could have waited another month.

20% increase in cases, ok, what about hospitalizations? Now that we have almost 80% with one does, cases shouldn't matter, especially if the majority of those cases have mild symptoms due to having at least one dose. I almost wish they would just stop reporting daily positive cases and only track hospitalizations, given that's the only metric that matters.

What would waiting one more month do? Honestly, didn't all Alberta have like 30 cases yesterday? How much lower do you want it to go?
username is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to username For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #50
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Speaking of the Arts and Crafts Western Showcase in the BMO building. You can check out my sons lunch kit I built. It’s on display there this week.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 12:33 PM   #51
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
20% increase in cases, ok, what about hospitalizations? Now that we have almost 80% with one does, cases shouldn't matter, especially if the majority of those cases have mild symptoms due to having at least one dose. I almost wish they would just stop reporting daily positive cases and only track hospitalizations, given that's the only metric that matters.

What would waiting one more month do? Honestly, didn't all Alberta have like 30 cases yesterday? How much lower do you want it to go?
Closer to 70% than 80 of eligible with one dose, just over 60% total pop. Small correction, but accuracy matters. Split is about 55/45 (eligible/total) for fully vaxxed.

I agree otherwise though. Cases are super low, vaccination rates are super high, restrictions around these things seem entirely reasonable... I'm not sure what we'd be waiting for at this point.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 12:52 PM   #52
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Of course cases still matter. Hospitalizations are still going to directly track with them, just the denominator changes with higher vaccination rates. It'll just be something like 1% of cases ending up in hospital instead of 4%, or something like that.

And even if not a single vaccinated person was hospitalized, there are still enough unvaccinated people to easily fill up Alberta's hospitals if it's spreading widely. So case rates are vital in determining what the risk to the unvaccinated population is. If they're low, then the risk of a bunch of them getting infected and filling up the hospitals is low. If it's flying through the population, then there's a very big risk of that happening, even if infections among the vaccinated remain generally mild.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 07-09-2021, 12:55 PM   #53
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was walking by the Trop last night and as I approached I heard what sounded like their usual Stampede tent that they have in the parking lot. But then as I got closer the place was no busier than usual. Turns out someone was hosting a corporate Stampede party in their front yard nearby, complete with security and smoke pit.

No skin off my back. Just found that strange, and not at all surprising.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:06 PM   #54
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

It’s been a hell of a grind, have fun and be safe Calgary. Yahoo!
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 03:36 PM   #55
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Somewhat anecdotal, but i have been watching todays rodeo and attendance looks WAY lower than normal.

Infield seats look like they are about 60-65% while the grandstand might have about 1500 people.

Really unfortunate.
Old 07-09-2021, 04:09 PM   #56
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I think that should have been the primary driver to wait another month; not a safety issue, but a comfortability issue. A die-hard adherence to a specific week rather than when they would draw the biggest crowds seems stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 04:10 PM   #57
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Really unfortunate.
Meh, rodeos suck at the best of times.

SuperDogs attendance is the measuring stick of Stampede success.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2021, 05:37 PM   #58
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Somewhat anecdotal, but i have been watching todays rodeo and attendance looks WAY lower than normal.

Infield seats look like they are about 60-65% while the grandstand might have about 1500 people.

Really unfortunate.
How many tickets did they sell? A friend was telling me that when he bought some you couldn’t buy the ones next to his.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:35 PM   #59
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Edmonton to not have K Days...but still have a Midway...

https://globalnews.ca/news/8017017/m...edium=Facebook
Old 07-09-2021, 10:53 PM   #60
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Really unfortunate.
I was just watching the Rodeo on TV from earlier today and I was surprised to see the American and Brazilian cowboys in the events. I thought the government wasn't giving the Cowboys and exemption to come up here but apparently that must have changed at some point.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote