Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2021, 01:30 PM   #461
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
50% of the population have always been morons that can barely tie their shoelaces, but back in the good old days they knew they were idiots and trusted the system the provided them with the best life any human has ever had in history, we now live in an age when science can miraculously produce a vaccine to Covid in a few short months while the simple act of wearing a face mask can keep a society relatively safe and yet all the gibbering fools can do is mutter about Bill Gates and 5G and their God given right to infect everyone.

This aint on 'the elites' what ever they or that is, unless you mean Mark Zuckerberg, its definitely on him, he has empowered the ######ed and now we are all pretty much doomed as these twats are going to eff it all up.
Yeah, let's just ignore how wages have stagnated, costs of living have increased exponentially, and wealth is being continually hoarded by a small group of people, all while the planet cooks to death.

The working class is quite obviously worse off in most of the developed world with no sign of improvement in sight. Why would they continue to trust the people who keep making policy decisions that make their lives and the lives of their children worse?

And I say that as someone who is anti-Brexit and anti-Trump, but the rise of populism shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has a passing knowledge or world history and is aware of the socioeconomic and ecological conditions that are occurring across the world.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2021, 01:50 PM   #462
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, let's just ignore how wages have stagnated, costs of living have increased exponentially, and wealth is being continually hoarded by a small group of people, all while the planet cooks to death.

The working class is quite obviously worse off in most of the developed world with no sign of improvement in sight. Why would they continue to trust the people who keep making policy decisions that make their lives and the lives of their children worse?

And I say that as someone who is anti-Brexit and anti-Trump, but the rise of populism shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who has a passing knowledge or world history and is aware of the socioeconomic and ecological conditions that are occurring across the world.
I give you climate change, but in every other respect every one in society lives like kings compared to our grandparents, food is abundent, we all have technology that is the stuff of science fiction, never in history has the life of the poor been as similer as the life of the rich.

The poor used to starve to death, now their poverty is symbolised by their morbid obesity, the term 'on the ropes' is a reference to a cheap form of accomadation from 150 years ago when people slept standing upright held in place by a rope, to be white and living in the UK or US is quite literally the best life any human in history has ever had, yes wages have stagnated but consumer goods are so cheap we throw out televisions and cell phones that 30 years ago cost a month or 2's wages, everyone does, not just the rich.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:28 PM   #463
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
I give you climate change, but in every other respect every one in society lives like kings compared to our grandparents, food is abundent, we all have technology that is the stuff of science fiction, never in history has the life of the poor been as similer as the life of the rich.
Better off than our grandparents, sure, but perhaps not better off than our parents. Housing and education cost us more hours of our lives than they used to, and the jobs we get to work those hours are less secure.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:40 PM   #464
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:

The poor used to starve to death, now their poverty is symbolised by their morbid obesity, the term 'on the ropes' is a reference to a cheap form of accomadation from 150 years ago when people slept standing upright held in place by a rope, to be white and living in the UK or US is quite literally the best life any human in history has ever had, yes wages have stagnated but consumer goods are so cheap we throw out televisions and cell phones that 30 years ago cost a month or 2's wages, everyone does, not just the rich.
But life is always relative to the the time you live in, not 100 or 200 years ago. Otherwise why stop there? Why not go back to cavemen? Why not go back to before humans existed? It’s a silly way to look at it. Rubecube is right and he actually from what I can tell is agreeing with Cliff in maybe the first time, ever? Even if he didn’t mean to?

Populism is a very real problem, and to pretend there is not some growing future catastrophic event as a result of a boiling point is head in the sand stuff. So yeah, Brexit should be a bit of a “lesson” even if the term itself is crude and even if the counter points are all well founded and valid too.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:24 PM   #465
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The lesson of the past decade of politics should be how eager people are to believe in quick fixes or impending doom, without any rational basis, and how terrified people are of changing their minds.

I'm not sure it cuts all that well along ideological lines or class distribution. It's certainly more pronounced on the right because their elites have abandoned all principals in favour of encouraging these quick wins. But it is the existential problem of modern western democracy, how do you have effective checks and balances while avoiding short sighted decision making.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 03:50 PM   #466
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So what? People don't compare their living conditions to historical examples; they compare them to their contemporaries (as they should).

Also, the consumer goods example is silly. Consumer goods being cheap are a result of cheap, exported manufacturing and planned obsolescence, both of which have done significant harm to the working class and the environment. Not to mention that these good are often purchased on credit and consumer debt has ballooned to completely unsustainable levels.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2021, 10:36 AM   #467
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
the term 'on the ropes' is a reference to a cheap form of accomadation from 150 years ago when people slept standing upright held in place by a rope,.
Off topic, but I'm pretty sure this idiom comes from boxing, when your opponent has the advantage and has you against the ropes of the boxing ring - hence you are in a desperate situation.

I've never heard the etymology of this as having anything to do with being so poor that you have to sleep standing up.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:33 PM   #468
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Off topic, but I'm pretty sure this idiom comes from boxing, when your opponent has the advantage and has you against the ropes of the boxing ring - hence you are in a desperate situation.

I've never heard the etymology of this as having anything to do with being so poor that you have to sleep standing up.
Technically you sat and hung over a rope, it was the cheapest option in Victorian doss houses, a bed for the night cost 4d, sleeping on the ropes cost 2d and the phrase pre dates boxing actually having ropes, that was a later invention when they raised the ring up so the crowds could see

Sleeping this way was known as a 'hangover' and may also have been the origin of that term as well
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 02:52 PM   #469
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Whichever of you two is right should show the other one the ropes.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:07 PM   #470
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sleeping this way was known as a 'hangover' and may also have been the origin of that term as well
I'm fairly certain its a nautical term. If you're going to get pissed on the ship you "tie one on" which was literally trying yourself up with a rope so if you fell overboard you'd be "hungover" as opposed to drowned.

Carry on.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 03:39 PM   #471
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're all wrong about "Hungover":

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...pe/3732337001/

Most of you are wrong about "On the ropes":

https://grammarist.com/idiom/on-the-ropes/

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 07-08-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2021, 01:21 PM   #472
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not both [terms]?

https://factcheck.afp.com/false-clai...-sleeping-rope
Quote:
A claim that the word “hangover” is derived from the historic practice frequented by British sailors during the reign of Queen Victoria, who bought “access to bend over a rope” after a heavy night of drinking has been shared hundreds of times on Facebook. However, this claim is false; sn expert called the claim “nonsense” and said the term is a derivative of an earlier word meaning “after-effect”.

From that article…
Spoiler!

Actors "Sleeping" Draped Over Ropes

1/3/1979-Dublin, Ireland-ORIGINAL CAPTION READS: They're really hung over. Well, not really. In 19th century England, innkeepers supplied patrons with a "penny hang," a kind of drying out room. For a penny, innkeppers provided ropes for seamen to sleep on. In a new film, "The Great Train Robbery," a lot of patrons are on the ropes in this scene. The movie is set in the 1850s.

Now…we need to determine if these articles are legit…and on it goes…

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:04 PM   #473
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1420752750606905349
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 05:57 PM   #474
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:21 AM   #475
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 12:07 PM   #476
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone feel sorry for these brexiters??

I guess the kids each get 2 lumps of coal for Xmas?

This is why I kind of secretly wanted Quebec to separate back in 90s. They would have come running back to Canada within 2 years with their tails between their legs.
Old 09-27-2021, 12:12 PM   #477
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never understood the 'bad children get coal for Christmas!'

Its Industrial Revolution! Free coal? Most of these people wouldnt know where to sign up fast enough!

"Sorry little Timmy, daddy has to kick Grandma in the face so Santa thinks he's a bad man and gives him free coal so you wont freeze!!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:00 PM   #478
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Third time out today. Running out of fuel while trying to get fuel. The guys running this place had nothing all day. They were supposed to get a delivery an hour ago, but it was cancelled. My wife has a clinic 50km from home and couldn’t get to work today.

But hey, at least we don’t have a popcorn shortage like the Europeans sitting back watching the Brexschit show.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:25 PM   #479
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, no. Didn't you all hear Boris last week? It's time for decisive action against climate change, the world must grow up! This is just good ol' England doing it's part!
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:50 PM   #480
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Does anyone feel sorry for these brexiters??

I guess the kids each get 2 lumps of coal for Xmas?

This is why I kind of secretly wanted Quebec to separate back in 90s. They would have come running back to Canada within 2 years with their tails between their legs.
It's also why I shake my head at the Alberta separatist types who look at Brexit and think "Yeah let's have some of that". Though I suppose fuel would be one thing we wouldn't have a shortage of here.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote