Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2021, 11:07 AM   #3501
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I like Bianca and think she's one of the most athletically gifted superstars in all of wrestling, but I think Britt is miles ahead in terms of character development, mic work, etc., and I think AEW did a far superior job building her than WWE has with Bianca.
I like Britt quite a bit, I think Bianca has a way higher ceiling. In terms of the WWE division, Bayley going down for the next 9 months is a huge blow, she carried that division. Bringing Sasha back is interesting.

I don't think that AEW has the high end performers like Charlotte, Becky, Bayley and Sasha, and those are all home grown talents.

I expect that when Io comes up, which is rumored, she's going to be a huge rocket in that woman's division.

I do like Britt, I think Tay is an absolutely awesome performer (She's a weak spot for me because she was horribly under used in NXT)

I think the two areas that WWE is ahead of AEW is in terms of the true main event players, though Drew seems to have been de pushed. and the woman's division depth and main eventers.

But AEW has better bench strength, and while Smackdown has really surpassed Raw and is a pretty well written and executed show, AEW has closed the gap, though I think that for the most part both organizations aren't great in terms of story telling and putting matches together from a psychology point of view.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 07-31-2021 at 11:12 AM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:13 PM   #3502
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rumours out there that Brock has signed with AEW. That's a game-changer if true.

EDIT: Source seems questionable
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:21 PM   #3503
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I like Britt quite a bit, I think Bianca has a way higher ceiling. In terms of the WWE division, Bayley going down for the next 9 months is a huge blow, she carried that division. Bringing Sasha back is interesting.
I think in terms of in-ring work and athleticism, you're correct, but I think WWE limits Bianca's ceiling due to the lack of freedom they give their performers to get themselves oved.

Quote:
I don't think that AEW has the high end performers like Charlotte, Becky, Bayley and Sasha, and those are all home grown talents.
No arguments here, but I don't think the gap is as wide as it was. Shida, Statlander, Britt, Conti, Jade, etc., all have really good potential.

Quote:
But AEW has better bench strength, and while Smackdown has really surpassed Raw and is a pretty well written and executed show, AEW has closed the gap, though I think that for the most part both organizations aren't great in terms of story telling and putting matches together from a psychology point of view.
I don't even think AEW has better bench strength. They just do a better job of booking their midcaders, so that there are more wrestlers you can take as serious threats/challenges. A few good examples of this was having Private Party go over The Bucks when the promotion first started and having Archer go over Mox last week. TK seems to be pretty good at being able to tell who can afford a loss and books upsets accordingly.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:42 PM   #3504
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Rumours out there that Brock has signed with AEW. That's a game-changer if true.

EDIT: Source seems questionable

Absolutely zero chance on that one. Vince would back up with a brink truck if it was even hinted at.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:38 AM   #3505
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Adam Cole's contract has expired, though he's agreed to work through the Summer Slam weekend then re-evaluate things.

I'm a big fan of Cole and what he does, I think he's an incredible performer, plays a great heel and can do it all and is realistic.

Personally, I think he's a guy that would fit in well with AEW, however with their monstrous roster, it might be easy for him to get lost in it.

Its also rumored that he's looking at a wrestling offer that's not in the current wrestling space which sounds like, someone has seen WWE's struggles and is going into business.

Old 08-02-2021, 01:00 PM   #3506
Njord
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Ric Flair asked for his release from WWE and it was granted. Didn't like the story lines he was put in and can't say I blame him. Maybe the 4 horsemen will ride again in AEW on their medi chairs lol honestly I have no idea who the 4th horseman is. I didn't know Tully was until he joined AEW.
Njord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #3507
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

meh, I've never been a huge fan of Slick Ric, I doubt there's a four horsemen reunion. Arn can't stand Ric.

AEW doesn't need to sign everyone, unless they do a per appearance deal Ric doesn't bring much to the table to them.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2021, 01:49 PM   #3508
sfpipes
Farm Team Player

Exp:

WWE is certainly making some odd decisions lately. I’ve been a life long WWE fan and didn’t really get into AEW as they started up. But I must say depending how the next month or so plays out, I’m interested enough to give it another look. If AEW could get something going that would allow an easier/cheaper way to catch their PPVs, I think you could really see a ratings battle unfolding. I know Part of my lack of investment in AEW is not wanting to pay the $50 to catch the “big moments” that PPVs traditionally provide.
sfpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sfpipes For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2021, 03:09 PM   #3509
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cole would be AEWs best signing so far, including punk and db

He main event on the mic and in the ring
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:13 PM   #3510
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Hostile crowd that was pretty much booing Bill Goldberg out of the building during his promo on MVP

Old 08-03-2021, 10:32 AM   #3511
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Cole would be AEWs best signing so far, including punk and db

He main event on the mic and in the ring
The problem with the AEW roster was the top end talent...and IMO they have a way to fix that pretty quick here.

Omega
Jericho
MJF
Page
Moxley
Punk
Bryan
Cole
Wyatt

That is suddenly a pretty diverse and talented top end of the card.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:36 AM   #3512
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I honestly thing that Jericho really needs to be shuffled off of the top of the card.

I rewatched that death match, and it was just silly.

I think even though I like Moxley a lot, but at some point is he a top guy, or are guys like MJF and Daniel and Omega and if they get Cole (though I have my doubts about it) your main event players.

I don't think Wyatt is anything more then upper mid card. I don't see him as a guy that draws long term big money, and I love the guy

Old 08-03-2021, 10:38 AM   #3513
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I still stick by my theory that Wyatt went off because of the death of Brodie, and when WWE approached him to return he said he wasn't ready for him, so they released him, and will bring him back when he is ready to go.

Readying up on Bray, creative had little to do with the frame work of the Fiend, they basically wrote Bray's idea. The problem was the booking of the matches and him putting everyone over on PPV's.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #3514
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I honestly thing that Jericho really needs to be shuffled off of the top of the card.

I rewatched that death match, and it was just silly.

I think even though I like Moxley a lot, but at some point is he a top guy, or are guys like MJF and Daniel and Omega and if they get Cole (though I have my doubts about it) your main event players.

I don't think Wyatt is anything more then upper mid card. I don't see him as a guy that draws long term big money, and I love the guy
IMO Guys like Moxley, Wyatt, Page, and Jericho (at his age) aren't "top guys" that you build your brand around.

But they are the lower main event, upper mid-card guys that you need to keep things fresh and have some good variety in your main event stories.

You can put the belt on any of those guys (maybe not any more for Jericho at his age) and they are fine as transitioning champions.

As an aside...Moxley in AEW has been really disappointing to me.

His vignettes right after he left WWE were great, and he had some decent stuff with NJPW I thought, but once he got back to AEW he just felt like bland face Moxley that he was in WWE. The guy is much better as a heel IMO.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 08-03-2021 at 10:49 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #3515
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean Mox and Page have consistently been two of the most over guys in the company, so not sure how you can't build around them.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:31 AM   #3516
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
I mean Mox and Page have consistently been two of the most over guys in the company, so not sure how you can't build around them.

Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone would feel that way. Page is a guy I've wanted to see get an extended stay in the spot light for a long time.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:35 PM   #3517
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The problem with the AEW roster was the top end talent...and IMO they have a way to fix that pretty quick here.

Omega
Jericho
MJF
Page
Moxley
Punk
Bryan
Cole
Wyatt

That is suddenly a pretty diverse and talented top end of the card.
That might be the greatest modern day roster you could possibly assemble in one company. That is ridiculous talent. Maybe drop Jericho and replace with Allin due to his ratings draw.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:40 AM   #3518
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Max Caster and AEW taking heat over his promo on AEW Dark

The promo takes a shot at Simone Biles as well as the Duke Lacrosse rape case.

https://nodq.com/news/aew-star-under...-dark-episode/

Quote:
“The Acclaimed kicking ass for miles
Make you claim mental health like Simone Biles

Matt Sydal is gonna pay the cost
I’m gonna treat those bitches like Duke Lacrosse”

There's heels trying to gain heat, there's cheap heat, and then there's stupid heat that makes you and your company look bad.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:42 AM   #3519
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Max Caster and AEW taking heat over his promo on AEW Dark

The promo takes a shot at Simone Biles as well as the Duke Lacrosse rape case.

https://nodq.com/news/aew-star-under...-dark-episode/

There's heels trying to gain heat, there's cheap heat, and then there's stupid heat that makes you and your company look bad.
Yeah, Max has come pretty close to crossing the line a few times. This is worse than the Guevara incident because at least Guevara's was several years old and he could blame it on being young and dumb. Max is 32.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:01 PM   #3520
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They left in the "eiffel tower" pose that Max and Bowens did briefly while essentially winking at the camera though.