Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-29-2021, 10:24 PM   #2021
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can’t believe they got ten minutes of added time.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:25 PM   #2022
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

To go 115 minutes toe to toe with Mexico is so impressive with the number of players we were missing. Proud as hell of the guys.
Brutal, soul crushing goal at the death. It’s going to take a while to get over that one
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:26 PM   #2023
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Fight was good, Canada now belongs in CONCACAF

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:27 PM   #2024
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
To go 115 minutes toe to toe with Mexico is so impressive with the number of players we were missing. Proud as hell of the guys.
Brutal, soul crushing goal at the death. It’s going to take a while to get over that one

Nah, again it's a glorified friendly. All good for Canada, Mexico knows they're in a fight with Canada for the next 10 years.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:28 PM   #2025
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

We will not lose to those clowns in September
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 10:30 PM   #2026
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Nah, again it's a glorified friendly. All good for Canada, Mexico knows they're in a fight with Canada for the next 10 years.
I do agree with you and it’s all about WCQ but still, that’s a brutal way to lose.

To play USA and Mexico evenly and lose both is tough. Missed our goal scorers desperately.

And dear God someone please teach them how not to foul in their defensive third. Even beyond the penalties, just so many needless fouls that allowed Mexico to keep pressure on
Old 07-29-2021, 10:34 PM   #2027
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Sure but losing breeds more hunger. The Canadian players are playing for spots, without their stars and Herdman is playing CONCACAF style. The little pushes, the talking to the ref. Canada got maximum profit out of this tournament playing both USA and Mexico even, and beating Costa Rica, who are getting old. In the 14 WCQ games, Canada's not going to sit back against anyone.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:37 PM   #2028
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Sure but losing breeds more hunger. The Canadian players are playing for spots, without their stars and Herdman is playing CONCACAF style. The little pushes, the talking to the ref. Canada got maximum profit out of this tournament playing both USA and Mexico even, and beating Costa Rica, who are getting old. In the 14 WCQ games, Canada's not going to sit back against anyone.
This really stood out to me too and I love it. They’re learning how to play the game. Ball is out of bounds for an opponent throw? Nudge it down the field. Take your time getting up from a foul (if you’re not playing quickly). It’s a different sport in Concacaf and Herdman is finally getting them to understand it
Old 07-29-2021, 10:38 PM   #2029
kobasew19
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well Buchanan just upped his market value by 2x, what a game. Can’t wait till World Cup qualifying!
kobasew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:38 PM   #2030
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

That was a hell of a game and gutting to lose in that fashion, but loved that they showed no fear and kept attacking. They came out swinging in the second half to get the equaliser, and the penalty save was something else! Can't wait for WCQ.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:43 PM   #2031
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
This really stood out to me too and I love it. They’re learning how to play the game. Ball is out of bounds for an opponent throw? Nudge it down the field. Take your time getting up from a foul (if you’re not playing quickly). It’s a different sport in Concacaf and Herdman is finally getting them to understand it
Yes and when they nudge it down the field push them in the back and whine to the ref. And I love that Canada is using their height. Every set play, even from the center line, goes high into the box.

Old 07-29-2021, 10:45 PM   #2032
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

A real shame these games aren't on TV in Canada. Hurts building up fans for our national team. We've got a competitive team for the first time in ages and only die hards who are willing to pay for soccer streaming service will ever see them unless they qualify for the world cup
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 11:14 PM   #2033
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Hard to see Canada losing by less than two goals tonight. I don't see much reason to be hopeful, Mexico are a far better team. I'll be cheering Canada on and hoping we can keep the scoreline respectable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Not a good sign for Canada heading into World Cup qualifying in the fall. They just can't compete against teams like Mexico. The only question now is how many goals Mexico will score in the second half as Canada are forced to commit players forward in attack to chase the game.

I think this was totally the wrong approach. Canada aren't good enough to take a team like Mexico on like this. Yeah, it is good to watch, but they should be playing ten men behind the ball at all times so that fast break goals just aren't allowed to develop.
You must be new to the team.

This was a hell of a performance, and surely marks a huge step forward for this team.

The likes of El Salvador, Honduras and Jamaica, which used to look like uphill battles, should now look like expected results.

Now don't pull a Canada in the Ocho and find a way to soil the sheets and crush our souls. Again.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 07:09 AM   #2034
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the hope that gets you. Crushing defeat, although once I saw the clock get to 99 I figured something like this would happen.

This Canada squad looks real good going into World Cup qualifying. Went toe to toe with the US without their top 3 players, and put up a good fight against Mexico with a 5th string striker and missing their "top" CB.

Feels like Canada has a legit shot at qualifying for the World Cup now, but they have to start getting results in Central America to do so. That's no easy task.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:56 AM   #2035
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Besides the obvious reasons I want Canada to qualify for 2022 (party time!) qualifying for 2022 would be a massive leap forward in the development and experience level of the team before they come home to host it in 2026.

Imagine 5 years from now Davies, in the prime of his career, leading Canada out for the opening match already having WC experience (and maybe a Champions League title or two under his belt). It wouldn't just be a Canadian team happy to be there.

Plus, who knows what young men are currently in the pipeline right now contemplating competing for Canada or the country of their parents. A 2022 berth might sway them to our side.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 10:03 AM   #2036
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Besides the obvious reasons I want Canada to qualify for 2022 (party time!) qualifying for 2022 would be a massive leap forward in the development and experience level of the team before they come home to host it in 2026.

Imagine 5 years from now Davies, in the prime of his career, leading Canada out for the opening match already having WC experience (and maybe a Champions League title or two under his belt). It wouldn't just be a Canadian team happy to be there.

Plus, who knows what young men are currently in the pipeline right now contemplating competing for Canada or the country of their parents. A 2022 berth might sway them to our side.

The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 10:18 AM   #2037
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
You must be new to the team.

This was a hell of a performance, and surely marks a huge step forward for this team.

The likes of El Salvador, Honduras and Jamaica, which used to look like uphill battles, should now look like expected results.

Now don't pull a Canada in the Ocho and find a way to soil the sheets and crush our souls. Again.

I don't think we'll soil the sheets with this coach. We may not make it but we'll go down fighting. So tired of passive football and not playing to Canada's strengths over the years. Hart and Florio trying to turn Canada in Spain.

Canada will be attacking and teams will be parking the bus against us!

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 11:15 AM   #2038
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hey I'm partial to Bayern. I meant to say ANOTHER CL title or two
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2021, 07:25 AM   #2039
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

First three home World Cup qualifying games will be in Toronto.

Quote:
Toronto will host three Canadian World Cup qualifying matches in September and October.

BMO Field will be the site for Canadian men's games against Honduras on Sept. 2, El Salvador on Sept. 8 and Panama on Oct. 13.
https://www.tsn.ca/fifa-world-cup-qu...ccer-1.1679792
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2021, 08:09 AM   #2040
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
First three home World Cup qualifying games will be in Toronto.

https://www.tsn.ca/fifa-world-cup-qu...ccer-1.1679792

Makes sense with the travel in between. I'm interested in the November window. Just two Canada home games. I'd like them somewhere unique, like Halifax. I'm guessing the Jan/Feb matches will be in the Big Owe.