Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2021, 10:21 AM   #301
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Fleetwood Mac is another decent 70’s contributor.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DFO For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 10:27 AM   #302
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I quite enjoyed the nostalgic trip of Woodstock99. But I agree on most of the sentiments mentioned above. Especially the journalists "contribution". Just awful takes from people who didn't attend.

I also had a laugh that they were trying to villainize the cameramen at the festival for focusing of women's breasts and then proceeding to show all the breasts that were caught on camera.

And I have to think HBO and it's affiliates must have a vesting interest in Coachella. Did you guys know that its the most perfect festival in the history of festivals??? Or in reality it suffers from the same issues of Sexual Assault, Commercialization, and over priced everything that pretty much every festival suffers from. But it's trendy and cool so I guess it's ok...
flamingred89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:20 AM   #303
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Disagree! You had Prodigee, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Crystal Method, Bob Sinclair, DJ Dan, Jamiroquai, Morcheba, Fatboy Slim, Portishead....so much good stuff. Yes, the early 90's dance crap was not good. But there was plenty that was.
I agree with you.

That was all a little earlier though, by the time 99 had rolled around all the stuff had now been incorporated into awful crossover music.

There was definitely that great 2-3 years, where all those electronic acts came out with brilliant albums. I do feel like they all had trouble keeping up their momentum. For example if your look at prodigy, all their post 97 stuff isn't as good. Same with crystal method, underworld, etc..

The biggest bummer for me was tricky, who can't out with a stellar first album and then could never really live up to it. I bought multiple albums of his chasing that dragon.

You're correct I'm being too harsh though. Daft Punk was definitely putting out great stuff well into the early 2000s. They also rarely played any live shows, and only had one between 97 and 2006. The chemical brothers had good stuff into the early 2000s.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:30 AM   #304
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It’s very popular to crap all over music from the 90s. Just like it was the 80s. Just like it was the 70s.

In reality, there’s tons of good 80s music and the late 70s had just as many classic albums like The Wall as it did crappy disco albums.

Same for the 90s. It an awesome time for music.
90s music is brilliant. The problem was the late 90s and early 2000s had taken a bad transition.

For example we'd gone from "Life After Death" to Mase. Metallica was in the Load/Reload phase, etc. What was on the top 40 was even worse. We'd gone from nirvana and Snoop Dogg to limp Bizkit and eventually Nickelback.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:11 PM   #305
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
Fleetwood Mac is another decent 70’s contributor.
more shame for Enoch
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 01:43 PM   #306
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
90s music is brilliant. The problem was the late 90s and early 2000s had taken a bad transition.

For example we'd gone from "Life After Death" to Mase. Metallica was in the Load/Reload phase, etc. What was on the top 40 was even worse. We'd gone from nirvana and Snoop Dogg to limp Bizkit and eventually Nickelback.
I agree. That time period was terrible. 900 PJ clones, all of them horrendous, and rap rock. Ug.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:31 PM   #307
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Um, he 70s was a fantastic decade for music. Disco was a really bad idea, of course, but the decade overall was as good as any - probably #2 to the 60s

Zeppelin, Floyd, Eagles, Boston, early VH and Cars, early (and best) punk. New wave like B52s and Blondie and so many others. The best heavy metal, like Metallica, AC/DC etc.
I know. That’s why I said it was a great decade.

The only people who thing there are bad periods of music, must only listen to top 40 radio or something. There’s been dozens of good releases every year for the last 60 years.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 02:38 PM   #308
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I agree on RATM. Metallica' s late 90s stuff was not good
Even if you don't like the Loads they only played three songs from them that set. 7 were from the 80s, 4 were from the Black album, and 3 were covers.

Even if you're just a fan of the old stuff they're always going to be a big draw because you know you're going to hear the classics and not just a live version of the newest album.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:05 PM   #309
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I agree. That time period was terrible. 900 PJ clones, all of them horrendous, and rap rock. Ug.
It's crazy because PJ themselves were trending towards a softer spiritual vibe, but all these clone bands ripped off Eddie Vedder's vocal style to make this bizarre party/ballad type rock. Creed broke out, and it was downhill from there.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:00 AM   #310
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Started watching the first episode of "The Head" on like Saturday. Antarctica thriller murder mystery.

Wound up staying up much too late every night, and ended up finishing last night. Amazing. Can't recommend enough.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #311
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

White Lotus has been great so far. It reminds me of Avenue 5 a little in some respects with the absurdity, but more serious.

Alexandra Daddario has the most mesmerizing facial expressions.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 02:02 PM   #312
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
White Lotus has been great so far. It reminds me of Avenue 5 a little in some respects with the absurdity, but more serious.

Alexandra Daddario has the most mesmerizing facial expressions.
White lotus has been super good. Really enjoying it. Every character is perfect and their corresponding actor fits the role.

Stiflers mom should be nominated for a supporting actress award as she is killing it. Steve Zahn is dong a great job. The hotel manager is perfect. On top of her acting Alexandra daddario has to be one of the naturally beautiful women out there
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:31 PM   #313
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
White lotus has been super good. Really enjoying it. Every character is perfect and their corresponding actor fits the role.

Stiflers mom should be nominated for a supporting actress award as she is killing it. Steve Zahn is dong a great job. The hotel manager is perfect. On top of her acting Alexandra daddario has to be one of the naturally beautiful women out there
I just wanted to bump White Lotus a little bit after watching the series through over the last few days - I agree that the cast is great and really do a great job with the roles. The Australian guy playing Armand is doing great work. And Alexandra Daddario is striking, as always.

Lots of little laughs along the way too, without really tipping the ending too much through the 6 episodes. You know the outcome right from the start, but don't have a great idea who it'll be till the end.

Definitely worth watching.

Last edited by sleepingmoose; 08-18-2021 at 09:19 PM.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:34 AM   #314
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also started White Lotus last night and loving it so far. Great show and another feather for HBO.

I read something that referenced Enlightened as a comparable, it may have the same writer. It has half hour episodes so thinking of giving that one a look too.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:16 PM   #315
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if it has been discussed, but the 3-part documentary on Obama is really good.

It focuses almost entirely on the racial battle, but there is more than enough on that front anyway.

It also does a good job of illuminating his personality and intellect, as well as showcasing his incredible oratory skills.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:39 PM   #316
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Big Little Lies is really good. Just about finished S1. Looking forward to S2.
Old 08-23-2021, 01:08 PM   #317
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just started White Lotus last night, watched the first 2 episodes. I was told it was 'hilarious'.... which at times it is, but its a super dry humor. And why all the cringe worthy scenes haha.

I think I'm enjoying it? Will report back once we finish it off.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:10 PM   #318
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Just started White Lotus last night, watched the first 2 episodes. I was told it was 'hilarious'.... which at times it is, but its a super dry humor. And why all the cringe worthy scenes haha.

I think I'm enjoying it? Will report back once we finish it off.
Was whomever told you it was hilarious high by chance?

I don't recall laughing once during the entire season.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 01:28 PM   #319
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Was whomever told you it was hilarious high by chance?

I don't recall laughing once during the entire season.
Really? I laughed a ton throughout.

Spoiler!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2021, 01:35 PM   #320
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Big Little Lies S2 was far inferior to S1 despite Meryl Streep playing a great villain. She was like the anti Mrs Doubtfire.