Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-24-2021, 11:01 PM   #561
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What if a traffic signal happens to be in the exact spot as the moon as far as the cameras go.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 09:16 AM   #562
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps they just need to program it like a human would respond...treat all yellow lights as green. There there, little Tesla, now you fit in.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:22 AM   #563
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
What if a traffic signal happens to be in the exact spot as the moon as far as the cameras go.
The vehicle is moving so the change of size and angle of the traffic light will be much greater than the moon which is far away.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:53 AM   #564
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless the goal is ultimately chauffeur-style self-driving cars, why not focus the money and energy on what would provide the most bang for the buck, which should be collision avoidance, i.e.) preventing a driver from making unsafe lane changes, automatic braking, or even automatic acceleration if there is a risk of being rear-ended. You don’t need self-driving to get the benefits of safety.

This would result in fewer accidents and hopefully lower insurance rates. Some of this exists to an extent in most car, and doesn’t even need to be EV-centric.

I am thinking the best way to move forward is: full electrification of personal vehicles and collision avoidance tech. I just don’t see the appeal of a somewhat finicky, have to be alert, “full” self-driving car that doesn’t allow me to take a power nap in the back seat or let me program in an 8 hour drive at 11pm so I arrive at my destination well-rested.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 03:49 AM   #565
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Unless the goal is ultimately chauffeur-style self-driving cars, why not focus the money and energy on what would provide the most bang for the buck, which should be collision avoidance, i.e.) preventing a driver from making unsafe lane changes, automatic braking, or even automatic acceleration if there is a risk of being rear-ended. You don’t need self-driving to get the benefits of safety.

This would result in fewer accidents and hopefully lower insurance rates. Some of this exists to an extent in most car, and doesn’t even need to be EV-centric.

I am thinking the best way to move forward is: full electrification of personal vehicles and collision avoidance tech. I just don’t see the appeal of a somewhat finicky, have to be alert, “full” self-driving car that doesn’t allow me to take a power nap in the back seat or let me program in an 8 hour drive at 11pm so I arrive at my destination well-rested.
There's no objective reason why an electric car is any more likely to be self-driving than an IC powered vehicle. It happens that the current leader in both of them is the same company, but there isn't any reason that's ordained to be true.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:37 AM   #566
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Tesla has completely removed the Cybertruck from it’s website.

No section, description, pricing.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #567
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really?

https://www.tesla.com/en_ca/cybertruck

Oh. It's gone form the US site. Confirmed, Cybertruck exclusive to Canada and Mexico.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:11 PM   #568
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Really?

https://www.tesla.com/en_ca/cybertruck

Oh. It's gone form the US site. Confirmed, Cybertruck exclusive to Canada and Mexico.
I’m seeing that it’s still there, it’s just now more hidden with the other “future” vehicles, lumped in with the Roadster and Semi, and not in with the S3XY.

You can’t configure one like you could previously, either.

Still a pretty hard acknowledgement from Tesla that they are nowhere near delivering any to customers.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:15 PM   #569
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

https://electrek.co/2021/10/15/tesla...-from-website/
Old 10-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #570
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Maybe a big deal?

Quote:
American car rental company Hertz has placed an order for 100,000 Tesla Model 3 vehicles as part of a move to electrify its fleet. Such an order will now represent about $4.2 billion of revenue for Tesla and account for a huge chunk of production.

Hertz Global Holdings Inc. has placed an order for 100,000 Tesla Model 3s as a step towards its ambitious plan to electrify its rental car fleet. It will be the largest EV purchase known to date and is a great example for other companies in the fight to reduce CO2 emissions from combustion engine vehicles.

"Electric vehicles are now mainstream, and we've only just begun to see rising global demand and interest," said Hertz interim CEO Mark Fields. "The new Hertz is going to lead the way as a mobility company, starting with the largest EV rental fleet in North America and a commitment to grow our EV fleet and provide the best rental and recharging experience for leisure and business customers around the world."
https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesm...m-hertz-report
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:53 AM   #571
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always wondered how well EV's would do in the rental world, I guess we will find out. I know when I travel, the last thing I want to do its wait around for a car to charge, or find a charge point. Most of the places I stay wouldn't have that type of thing.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:08 PM   #572
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

They mentioned they are setting up their own charging network and guide you where you need to go to charge.

But you are correct. Last thing anyone thinks about when renting a car is charging it. Even filling gas is annoying.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #573
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
They mentioned they are setting up their own charging network and guide you where you need to go to charge.

But you are correct. Last thing anyone thinks about when renting a car is charging it. Even filling gas is annoying.
I wonder if they'll charge a "returning empty" fee too. Just for consistency sake. But!!! You can pre-buy your electrons for peace of mind at a totally reasonable not inflated price.
Old 10-25-2021, 04:24 PM   #574
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

At 50x inflated charging cost. In fact, the lack of charging available might give them the opportunity to make even more money that way.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:00 AM   #575
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I wonder if they'll charge a "returning empty" fee too. Just for consistency sake. But!!! You can pre-buy your electrons for peace of mind at a totally reasonable not inflated price.
Haha, I was just going to post the same thought.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:53 PM   #576
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Apparently there will be some software enhancements included to help the rental cars manage their fleet, charging, etc.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #577
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Maybe a big deal?
I would say so. That along with other factors has caused the stock to surge went from 777 to 1077 in one month. Almost finished the day at 1077.77 if that happened I would have been completely convinced were are in a simulation. I'm already wondering, the head of Tesla's FSD has the name Andrej Karpathy. Karpathy? Car Path? Are we being ####ed with?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:22 AM   #578
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1479086874140594176

LOL. Elon has built the least efficient subway ever, requiring a driver for every car, and it gets traffic jams. Brilliant.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 09:10 PM   #579
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Tesla upping the cost of “Full Self Driving” to $12k.

I don’t know how they aren’t charged with fraud. The first Teslas sold with FSD are nearly worn out and off the roads already, and Tesla isn’t really any further towards having a vehicle being able to autonomously drive than they were then, despite making a very nice level 2 automation system.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:59 PM   #580
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They are fortunate to have such a rabidly loyal fanbase. Err...customers.

It is kind of weird, thoguh, seems like a slam dunk of bait and switch for a lawyer to take on.