Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #41
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett seems like he is too good in the playoffs to fit in the longterm vision of the Flames. Either a short term deal or cut him loose seems to be the collective wisdom.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #42
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wait what?

If this is a team that's determined to be a consistant playoff team why would there be any logic in cutting him loose.

As well we have a team that is more soft then toughness and more perimeter then pushing to the net, Bennett fills a need that we really don't have on our main roster and in our prospect pool. Even MT pulled away from any kind of physical game as the series went on.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #43
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Hoping for a breakout at this point would be foolish as this likely means 40-50 points, at best, given his offensive acumen (or lack thereof) over his first 4 years. He's still a good two-way player on this team and checks the box as tough to play against.

If I'm Bennett and the Flames I'm looking hard at guys like Jarnkrok who signed long term deals in similar situations. That 6 year $12M deal Jarnkrok and the Predators signed is probably more like 5 years/$15M in today's NHL, but it would make a lot of sense for both Bennett and the Flames to go longer term given the team actually needs a few hard nosed players that can play up and down the lineup.

It would be a good gamble for the Flames. If Bennett does somehow turn into a consistent 40 point guy, you're getting a bargain given everything else he does on the ice. If he doesn't, no real loss. He's still a guy that doesn't hurt you at all on a bargain of a contract.
I agree with this. If I'm Bennett agent I'm looking at long term for slightly elevated cap. Term ending around when Sam is 27 or 28 leaving a chance for 1 big contract. Imo the only way Sam proves himself to deserve a huge raise would come in playoffs. Hes just not effective on the pp to think he might bust out and get 50 points over the next 2 years

My guess these are estimated options for Sam

2 x 2.5
3 x 2.75
4 x 3
5 x 3.5

If we took 5 x 3.5 he makes an extra 2 mil in the first 2 years. In 2 years it's hard to predict what he get but without a 45 or more point season and potential 1 year arbitration deals he may only play his way into a 4 to 5 mil deal. 5 mil deal would likely be 5 to 6 years. I'd take 5 x 3.5 if I was him which gives him 5 years to figure it out and higher salary next year and guaranteed 17.5 mil contract expiring when he is in his prime leaving him enough years to get 8 years st max cap hit rather than reduced cap hit due to age of future contract expiring when hes in his late 30s

If I'm the flames I take it as the timeline for this core is 3 years or less. I'd rather have Bennett at 3.5 in gio and Johnny's last year than him being an rfa in a year where flames could be all in

If the flames decided before this that this core can't get it done. Bennett at 3.5 with 3 or so years left on deal could be a nice trade chip

Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #44
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm seeing Bennett taking a short term contract to try to set himself up for free agency. Not necessarily to leave the Flames, but try to boost his offensive game as much as he can so then he can end up getting a higher pay contract in the end.

Does Bennett have the potential to be the franchise centre man he was drafted for? No. But I do feel he does have potential to still be an effective top 6 quality player, and has been underutilized thus far with the linemates he's been saddled with.

There's still plenty of room for him to grow if he's given the opportunity to do so. Just as with Monahan and Tkachuk to an extent, this is a very important off season for Bennett. Both contract and development wise.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #45
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
If I'm the Flames I let him walk.

3rd and 4th liners are a dime a dozen. Cut bait on one of the biggest busts in Flames history and move on.
Such a silly post.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 12:06 PM   #46
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You mean the marshmallows that happen to score a whole lot more?
Yes those ones. *regular season scoring only
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #47
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
#1 rated North American forward in the 2014 draft.

Averaging 26 points over the last 3 years.

Y'all are suffering from the sunk cost fallacy about him being this great grinder.
And you're suffering from an inability to measure the production of the average NHL forward on a third line.

He's 230th in points for forwards. 31 teams makes him forward 7.5 on the average NHL team.

That isn't bust.

That isn't fourth liner

That is near the top of the third line league wide.

If you're walking away I'm glad you're not in charge of my hockey team, nor my finances for that matter.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #48
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disappointment would be a better descriptor for Bennett. No matter how you look at it, you have to expect more from a 4th overall pick. Saying draft position is irrelevant only applies to his trade value and not what should be expected of him. He’s the highest pick in franchise history and he’s looking to be a third liner. That’s disappointing but probably not worthy of being called a bust. Nail Yakupov is a bust.
N-E-B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #49
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I feel that Bennett’s game improved noticeably this season. His production still lagged but I’m hoping he spends some time with a shooting coach this summer. He gets his chances and an improved ability to finish would up his value considerably.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #50
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to see them go long here, something like the 3.5 x 5 years mentioned above. Lifetime financial security for Bennett along with the opportunity for one big cash in contract if he can up his game.

He seems like the type of guy where having the team commit to him might make a difference to his play. (Eg Gio) obviously not expecting him to be a #1 centre anymore, but if he could grow into a good 2nd line winger from an average 3rd liner that would be a big help.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #51
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Bennett on a 3 or 4 year deal at 3.5 is what I would love to see, haven't dove into the numbers or similar contracts but considering our "window" to win with our current core is the next 3 - 4 years minimum, Bennett is a guy that helps us win.

I mean I think the most likely/worst case scenario being discussed here is that Bennet continues to only put up 30 - 40 points during the regular season for the next 4 years and then ALWAYS shows up in the playoffs as a gamer. Even if that's what happens, I'd be happy to keep him at that value.

But then there's the more optimistic scenario that accounts for the fact that he's 22 years old and IMO the second half of this season he's shown a lot of maturity.
Not letting his frustrations get the better of him and taking stupid penalties is one thing, but after his rookie season I think it was clear to just about everybody that he expected more of himself, leading to disappointment and lost confidence.
But this season, it really seemed like he was relishing his new role of being the teams bulldog and he FINALLY found his role, carving that chip off his shoulder.

One last thing, I think paired with a gritty centre on that 3rd line such as Kadri or another FA, we will see Bennett take another step next season. I think Jankowski has been great in flashes during the regular season but i would love to load up that 3rd line with a gritty centre to compliment Bennett. Ideally that would then leave the RW spot open to a Neal resurgence (please Jesus) or an open spot for the guy who earns it in camp.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #52
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can he negotiate a contract based on number of goals disallowed? The poor guy seems to be a magnet for those calls.

You'd think Tkachuk would have more goals called back due to goalie interference. Maybe Matt could give Sam some lessons on how to be a net-front presence without going over the line.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #53
CanadaMatt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Such a silly post.
I really like how eloquently you addressed the post.

What happened to this place?
CanadaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #54
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be opposed to a Calle Jarnkrok type contract.
He was signed for 6 years at 2 million per.

Jarnkrok has averaged 31 points during the past 4 seasons (he has been very consistent).

I think Bennett is a slightly about an average third liner, but he still has a bit of upside.
For the most part, we know what he is now. He's useful overall.
But Bennett is confident and ambitious, so I doubt he'd take this type of deal. I also think Bennett would get more than 2 mill per, obviously.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:11 PM   #55
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I suspect Bennett will get 3 or 4 years at $2.75-$3.25 million a season. He's a great young player who gives it his all.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #56
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Disappointment would be a better descriptor for Bennett. No matter how you look at it, you have to expect more from a 4th overall pick. Saying draft position is irrelevant only applies to his trade value and not what should be expected of him. He’s the highest pick in franchise history and he’s looking to be a third liner. That’s disappointing but probably not worthy of being called a bust. Nail Yakupov is a bust.
Oddly enough Yakupov's average NHL season was 32 pts.

Bennett is a 30 pt avg.

Thats how bad offensively he has been. Defensively he is miles better but not great, plus plays with jam which has allowed him to carve a role on any team in the league, but you cannot overpay these types.

He cut down on the stupid penalties somewhat this year, but there were still some brain cramp moments. He also was invisible for looong stretches, which has been a thing with him since day 1, and why he is an average at best 3rd liner.

I suspect we see a deal that goes something like

year 1............. 2.2M

year 2............. 2.5M

year 3..............2.8M

3 years 2.5M average....I think most fans would be OK with that as well?
Old 05-10-2019, 01:31 PM   #57
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it will have to be a 1 year deal or longer term if he is ufa in 2 years.

Personally I think Bennett could be a prime target for an offer sheet. A team could sign him where they only give up a 2nd and with all the bad money going around in July a team could do worse than signing a 23 year old former 4th overall pick that could use a change of scenery.

I thought the 2 sides were heading for a split until Bennett really showed some worth in the playoffs when other players did not. Letting him walk is hilariously laughable and just a bitter comment. Next month when the Flames have their ticket holder meetings I plan to ask Treliving if he views Bennett as a long term piece of the core.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #58
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think it will have to be a 1 year deal or longer term if he is ufa in 2 years.

Personally I think Bennett could be a prime target for an offer sheet. A team could sign him where they only give up a 2nd and with all the bad money going around in July a team could do worse than signing a 23 year old former 4th overall pick that could use a change of scenery.

I thought the 2 sides were heading for a split until Bennett really showed some worth in the playoffs when other players did not. Letting him walk is hilariously laughable and just a bitter comment. Next month when the Flames have their ticket holder meetings I plan to ask Treliving if he views Bennett as a long term piece of the core.
I don't believe that Bennett is in any way a "core" player...short or long term.

He does have qualities that this team is short on, but they are not rare among NHLers.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:39 PM   #59
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett is actually a fairly important part of this team as he fills a role that no other player can seem to fill. Hathaway has come the closest this year because he was able to contribute a few points but other than those two guys, there's really nobody else on the team that is consistently physical, can also contribute a little bit offensively, and is a PITA physically to play against from the opposition's perspective.

I'd be all for something longer term capped at 3.5 but as many have said, Bennett's going to want to give himself the chance to earn more so I think it'll be a 2 year deal max.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:51 PM   #60
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Bennett is actually a fairly important part of this team as he fills a role that no other player can seem to fill. Hathaway has come the closest this year because he was able to contribute a few points but other than those two guys, there's really nobody else on the team that is consistently physical, can also contribute a little bit offensively, and is a PITA physically to play against from the opposition's perspective.

I'd be all for something longer term capped at 3.5 but as many have said, Bennett's going to want to give himself the chance to earn more so I think it'll be a 2 year deal max.
Does 2 years not put him right to UFA?

I can’t see the team doing that. I think it would be 1 year deal or 4-6 years at a cap hit that is not going to be liked by some people on this site.

If he wanted the Lindholm contract less $1M AAV I would be okay with that

(6 years $3.85M) not sure Bennett wants to commit that much term and it certainly is a risky move for the Flames. I think this is one of the tougher negotiations Treliving has this summer unless they decide to go simple and have another 1 year prove it deal.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote