Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
Isn't this already in the rule book as a delay of game penalty?
Have you ever seen it called? Its like a Unicorn.

That being said, this will strongly emphasize goalies who can play the puck.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #22
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
I agree, less video is better. Shorten the second intermission as well, for some reason it's longer then the first one. Football is not a good example, a borefest with very little action that's designed as a tv show. It's hilarious when they go to the sideline and poke there heads into the hooded camera.

For goals they should use more of an electronic system like Hawkeye, if it's a goal it should send a signal to the refs watch.
Both are exactly 18 minutes.

zarrell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #23
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Small tweaks is all the league needs. Personally I like these changes. The video review needs polish, and it will likely be trial and error from here until eternity.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:30 AM   #24
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Small tweaks is all the league needs. Personally I like these changes. The video review needs polish, and it will likely be trial and error from here until eternity.
Why? I think its pretty straightforward. Get rid of this 'Toronto War Room' BS and have a referee in the building watching the screens with all the various angles and if they missed something on the ice he calls down.

One of the things I love about Soccer and Rugby video review is the ability to take accountability away from the referee on the ice so players dont spend forever bitching to the refs.

"Upon video review we have a good goal."

Players complain? He just taps the earbuds and shrugs his shoulders and gets ready to drop the puck.

Sorry boys, video review called it, time to move along.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #25
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would love to see all offsides be treated like icing. The faceoff moves to your end and no change. There are way too many icing calls in a game. Often the team just wants a lazy change or they are cutting it way too close.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #26
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Why? I think its pretty straightforward. Get rid of this 'Toronto War Room' BS and have a referee in the building watching the screens with all the various angles and if they missed something on the ice he calls down.

One of the things I love about Soccer and Rugby video review is the ability to take accountability away from the referee on the ice so players dont spend forever bitching to the refs.

"Upon video review we have a good goal."

Players complain? He just taps the earbuds and shrugs his shoulders and gets ready to drop the puck.

Sorry boys, video review called it, time to move along.
As technologies and expectations change video review will change. you'd be a fool to think that they wont be tweaking it every season from here until kingdom come, and why not I'd prefer that they try to improve it continually then be stubborn and keep flaws.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 03:37 PM   #27
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Defensive player dislodging the goalposts should be a 2 minute penalty. There's a two on one: defenseman is racing back and by himself crashes into the net, disrupts offensive possession or a scoring chance.

I guess not allowing a line change is at least a step in the right direction.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #28
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Defensive player dislodging the goalposts should be a 2 minute penalty. There's a two on one: defenseman is racing back and by himself crashes into the net, disrupts offensive possession or a scoring chance.

I think that's a little too far. It's already a penalty if they do it on purpose. I'm not sure why they need to penalize the mistake as well, especially when in 95% of the cases it's the result of multiple players near the net.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #29
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post

Yeah I like the no line change. It was frustrating seeing a team under siege and able to get out of that buy "accidentally" having the net knocked off, especially on the PP.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #30
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think that's a little too far. It's already a penalty if they do it on purpose. I'm not sure why they need to penalize the mistake as well, especially when in 95% of the cases it's the result of multiple players near the net.
It is a penalty, but it is one of those unicorn penalties that is rarely called.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 08:33 AM   #31
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

10 minute 3on3 OT please
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #32
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get speeding the game up and sanctioning intentional or avoidable delays. But was "goalies unnecessarily freezing pucks shot from centre ice" a huge issue meriting rules changes (especially compared to other issues).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #33
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I get speeding the game up and sanctioning intentional or avoidable delays. But was "goalies unnecessarily freezing pucks shot from centre ice" a huge issue meriting rules changes (especially compared to other issues).
Agreed. Again, this set of recommendations seems like the outcome of a make work project
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #34
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

No more loser points.

2 points regulation or OT win
1 point shootout win
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #35
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

They should also change the unsportsmanlike rule.

I always hated refs calling both the infraction and the unsportsmanlike at the same time. It should be one or the other and not both IMO.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #36
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I like anything that cuts down on stoppages. The two biggest reasons I switch away from a non-Flames hockey game is multiple icings in a short period of time or multiple goalie covers in a short period of time.

Those are too often game over for me in a declining love of watching hockey.
I disagree. There is already a rule on the books for this, and if the referees would stop being cowards and simply call it as written, it would go much further to resolving the issue:

Quote:
67.3 Minor Penalty – Goalkeeper - A goalkeeper who holds the puck with his hands for longer than three seconds shall be given a minor penalty unless he is actually being checked by an opponent. The object of this entire rule is to keep the puck in play continuously and any action taken by the goalkeeper which causes an unnecessary stoppage must be penalized without warning.

A goalkeeper shall be assessed a minor penalty when he deliberately holds the puck in any manner which, in the opinion of the Referee, causes an unnecessary stoppage of play.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #37
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I disagree. There is already a rule on the books for this, and if the referees would stop being cowards and simply call it as written, it would go much further to resolving the issue:
Rittich got a penalty for doing that this year.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #38
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give the coaches 3 challenges a game, + 1 extra for OT in the playoffs, where they can challenge anything in the rulebook. All reviews done by the war room, not the refs on the ice.

If a coach gets a challenge wrong they get a 2 minute delay of game penalty, 3rd wrong challenge in a game is a double minor.
If a coach wins 3 challenges in one game it triggers a review of the on ice officals.

I highly doubt this system would get abused since there are consequences for being wrong. No coach is going to challenge a 1mm offside if it's likely they'll not only have the goal against but also be giving up a PP. I'd rather have a couple of quick stoppages per game if it means getting the calls right.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:09 PM   #39
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
#3 is a typo and they mean ROW + Shootouts

Just go to a 3-2-1 point system already. If you want to emphasize wins in regulation then just do it.
No more points. Switch to winning percentage.

(Regulation wins + (OT wins / 2)) / GP

Use shootout wins as the first tiebreaker, followed by head to head and then goal differential.

Last edited by FanIn80; 06-14-2019 at 10:19 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:20 PM   #40
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Have you ever seen it called? Its like a Unicorn.

That being said, this will strongly emphasize goalies who can play the puck.
Thought something to this effect was called against Rittich this season?
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote