Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Ivrnet

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-30-2019, 11:24 AM   #21
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Zagidulin's signing likely spells the end of Jon Gillies' tenure with the organization. I expect him to be moved in a minor league deal.
I don't know about that.

Will be hard to off load a guy that is guaranteed 750K to play in the AHL...no?
__________________
Quote:
Tkachuk is more like Marchand than the other guys though. He's really ****ing good. He's just a total butthole.
Unknown Kings fan
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:18 AM   #22
Flames Draft Watcher
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Zagidulin's signing likely spells the end of Jon Gillies' tenure with the organization. I expect him to be moved in a minor league deal.
I don’t see why that would be the case.

It’s always risky to give up on goalies too early. How many of you knew we drafted Craig Andersson? Button gave up on Giguere right before he became a strong NHL starter. Roloson and Tim Thomas didn’t come into their own until their late 20’s.

Fans have no patience for goalies taking 6+ years to develop but that’s often how long it takes. Personally I think it would be a mistake to give up on Gillies this early unless they’re convinced he doesn’t have it.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 11:57 AM   #23
Itse
Franchise Player
 
Itse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I donít see why that would be the case.

Itís always risky to give up on goalies too early. How many of you knew we drafted Craig Andersson? Button gave up on Giguere right before he became a strong NHL starter. Roloson and Tim Thomas didnít come into their own until their late 20ís.

Fans have no patience for goalies taking 6+ years to develop but thatís often how long it takes. Personally I think it would be a mistake to give up on Gillies this early unless theyíre convinced he doesnít have it.
While I don't necessarily disagree, you really can have too many goalies in the organization, because there's only so many spots to go around.

So it's not so much "we're convinced he doesn't have it" as it is "we like all these other guys better".

(If that's how they decide. In any case, if he can't make an AHL team at 25, it doesn't look great for him.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:01 PM   #24
dammage79
Franchise Player
 
dammage79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
While I don't necessarily disagree, you really can have too many goalies in the organization, because there's only so many spots to go around.

So it's not so much "we're convinced he doesn't have it" as it is "we like all these other guys better".

(If that's how they decide. In any case, if he can't make an AHL team at 25, it doesn't look great for him.)
Jack Campbell IMO is a perfect comparison for Gillies. Dallas wrote him off and shipped him to LA where he took a couple of seasons to crack some NHL starts. He looks decent enough. Goalies take a long while. But I think the Flames may be looking for a quicker hit. That and I suppose Parsons development is a factor.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:21 PM   #25
Itse
Franchise Player
 
Itse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Jack Campbell IMO is a perfect comparison for Gillies. Dallas wrote him off and shipped him to LA where he took a couple of seasons to crack some NHL starts. He looks decent enough. Goalies take a long while. But I think the Flames may be looking for a quicker hit. That and I suppose Parsons development is a factor.
Yeah I'm not denying that can happen.

Also, if there's one area where random fan forum opinions hold as much weight as Flames staffs, it's goalie scouting and development

(Because the Flames just haven't been good at it.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #26
Table 5
Franchise Player
 
Table 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: NYYC
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Itís always risky to give up on goalies too early. How many of you knew we drafted Craig Andersson? Button gave up on Giguere right before he became a strong NHL starter. Roloson and Tim Thomas didnít come into their own until their late 20ís.

Fans have no patience for goalies taking 6+ years to develop but thatís often how long it takes. Personally I think it would be a mistake to give up on Gillies this early unless theyíre convinced he doesnít have it.
I think this is more of a justification to just acquire goalies in their mid 20s, instead of drafting and wasting half a decade trying to develop them from 18. Why waste time being patient, when there are a handful of cheap Jon Gillies clones available every summer, already mostly developed for you, that you can take a shot on without having to wait?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:38 PM   #27
Funkhouser
Scoring Winger
 
Funkhouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: MTL
Exp:
Default

I see Gilles remaining Flames property but being loaned to another AHL club to either A) see if he can get back on-track, B) cut ties after the season

There is no point in buying him out, we can't promote him, and others need the development time on the farm.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:39 PM   #28
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get
 
Reggie Dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Aces
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I don’t see why that would be the case.

It’s always risky to give up on goalies too early. How many of you knew we drafted Craig Andersson? Button gave up on Giguere right before he became a strong NHL starter. Roloson and Tim Thomas didn’t come into their own until their late 20’s.

Fans have no patience for goalies taking 6+ years to develop but that’s often how long it takes. Personally I think it would be a mistake to give up on Gillies this early unless they’re convinced he doesn’t have it.
I think it's more of a matter of numbers: Gillies, Parsons and Zagidulin makes three AHL goaltenders. Then you have Schneider who's also starting to signs he's ready to move up a level.

They're not putting Zagidulin in the ECHL.

That's a crowded crease. Loaning a player to another organization isn't really the best solution if it's a developing player.
__________________
Scouts?

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 05-31-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:47 PM   #29
Flames Draft Watcher
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I think it's more of a matter of numbers: Gillies, Parsons and Zagidulin makes three AHL goaltenders. Then you have Schneider who's also starting to signs he's ready to move up a level.

They're not putting Zagidulin in the ECHL.

That's a crowded crease. Loaning a player to another organization isn't really the best solution if it's a developing player.
It only looks crowded if every goalie at the NHL level and AHL level is healthy. I think you can look back at the past couple seasons in the minors and how many goalies played and see that 3 goalies in the minors won't be a crowded crease for long.

I mean the real danger in the summer as a fan is evaluating our depth as if we're 100% healthy. Sure on paper right now we're 100% healthy. But Treliving isn't building our NHL and minor league depth for only that situation, depth is built for injuries.

Parsons and Gillies have both had injury troubles the past couple years. I think having 3 good AHL goalies is depth. And at least one more capable one in the ECHL. You need that much over the season or you have to start scrambling mid season to find it (as we've seen in the past.)

There could be chunks of the season that there are 2-3 goalies injured in the organization. You need 5-6 goalies to survive those periods. You look at 3 potential goalies in the minors and see crowded crease and a need to deal one whereas I see 3 potential goalies in the minors and I'm thinking that's the minimum needed depth you want. Difference of perspective I guess.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #30
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!
 
sureLoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Learning Phaneufs skating style
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
There was also the rumour of the 3rd Russian being signed by Calgary, Andrei Chibisov.

I don't believe he has signed anywhere yet.
signed with the Jets this morning

Ken Wiebe
@WiebeSunSports
#NHLJets adding some forward depth by signing Russian F Andrei Chibisov to a one-year, two-way entry-level deal with a $925,000 cap hit in NHL. He will make $70,000 in #AHL He shoots left and can play either RW or LW. He's expected to attend the Jets development camp next month
__________________
Media from: @NHLGIFs, @Sportsnet960, @NHL, @NHLFlames
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 06-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #31
AC
Resident Videologist
 
AC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
signed with the Jets this morning

Ken Wiebe
@WiebeSunSports
#NHLJets adding some forward depth by signing Russian F Andrei Chibisov to a one-year, two-way entry-level deal with a $925,000 cap hit in NHL. He will make $70,000 in #AHL He shoots left and can play either RW or LW. He's expected to attend the Jets development camp next month
https://youtu.be/vdvGyWjOObM?t=12
__________________
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:42 PM   #32
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get
 
Reggie Dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Aces
Exp:
Default

Just as an aside, I wonder how good Mark Giordano's Russian is.

Was a while ago, and for a short time, but he must have picked a few phrases up.
__________________
Scouts?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:37 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016