Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #3741
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing is that if you build that flyover, you handcuff yourself into the SB-EB flyover being absolute garbage forever, and it's the much busier movement.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #3742
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
I would actually design the turn so that you go from eastbound Glenmore to northbound Crowchild after passing under Crowchild, turning right and into northbound Crowchild. The Crowchild Northbound traffic to eastbound Glenmore can be moved south of this new ramp.
There is no way there would be enough room to put that exit in there like that, unless I am picturing what you are saying wrong.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #3743
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
I would actually design the turn so that you go from eastbound Glenmore to northbound Crowchild after passing under Crowchild, turning right and into northbound Crowchild. The Crowchild Northbound traffic to eastbound Glenmore can be moved south of this new ramp.

They do already have an early exit for BRT. It would be awfully tight with a ton of elevation game to do that.

My traffic circle idea sucks from looking at street view. Would have to move the whole exit south of the flyover, moving the sound wall right up to Lacombe Way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #3744
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
One thing is that if you build that flyover, you handcuff yourself into the SB-EB flyover being absolute garbage forever, and it's the much busier movement.

Any ideas to improve it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:46 AM   #3745
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

What about Stony to Glenmore to 37th street? wife works on 14th street off 17th ave.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:52 AM   #3746
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
What about Stony to Glenmore to 37th street? wife works on 14th street off 17th ave.
You're asking when this movement will be open? Later today. How useful StoneySW will be to you for a trip to the 14 St/17 Ave area would depend on where you're coming from and the time of day, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Any ideas to improve it?
Not really, not without blowing up the surroundings and reconstructing both of those flyovers as drawn above but a larger radius on both, and the SB-EB one being 3 lanes wide.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #3747
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure how much that would help, and I don't really see room for that without bulldozing houses. The Glenmore/Crowchild disaster of an interchange would require bonkers levels of ingenuity for any meaningful change to be made without demolishing houses there.

Our only hope, IMO, is to go hard on fixing Sarcee, interchange at Sarcee/Bow, and a massive GE5-type project to freeflow Bow from Sarcee into downtown.
Does Bow Trail between Sarcee and 37 Street SW get enough traffic to justify it? I wonder if simply making it three lanes in both directions (along with interchange at Sarcee), and having the lights primarily catered to Bow Trail (like Crowchild between Bow River and 24th Avenue) would be suffice.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:10 AM   #3748
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah not required any time soon, but if you're looking long term at getting traffic into DT from the west, I think Bow Trail is the ultimate solution. Glenmore feels more and more like a lost cause.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #3749
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Does Bow Trail between Sarcee and 37 Street SW get enough traffic to justify it? I wonder if simply making it three lanes in both directions (along with interchange at Sarcee), and having the lights primarily catered to Bow Trail (like Crowchild between Bow River and 24th Avenue) would be suffice.
Its already 3 lanes and there a ton of traffic that goes north south there as well.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #3750
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

[QUOTE=Acey;7589624]You're asking when this movement will be open? Later today. How useful StoneySW will be to you for a trip to the 14 St/17 Ave area would depend on where you're coming from and the time of day, I suppose.

Thanks, She would be coming to and from Bridlewood to 14th street and 17th ave SW roughly

Not during rush hour times very often
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #3751
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah the ring doesn't extend south to 162 Ave (yet) so you'd have to go up McKevitt to get on at Fish Creek Blvd by going through the school zones, and Fish Creek Blvd is going to start getting a bit busier now. I'm not sure I see a ton of big savings for this trip till next year but at least it provides another way to go when Macleod hits the fan.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:33 AM   #3752
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Drove through Sarcee south to Glenmore east this morning. The Stoney trail to the south is still not opened.

By the way, the exit lane from Sarcee south to Glenmore east to 37 St is short.and they painted a giant patch of no-entry area in between. I foresee there will be lots of collisions with people trying to cut through 5/6 lanes while avoiding those painted off areas. They are better off to put barriers in between rather than having a giant patch of empty area for people to freely cut off each other...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #3753
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was surprised that the SB Crowchild > WB Glenmore ramp wasn't moved to the far right closer to the noise barrier.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:39 AM   #3754
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
By the way, the exit lane from Sarcee south to Glenmore east to 37 St is short.and they painted a giant patch of no-entry area in between. I foresee there will be lots of collisions with people trying to cut through 5/6 lanes while avoiding those painted off areas. They are better off to put barriers in between rather than having a giant patch of empty area for people to freely cut off each other...
**Cries in KGL
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 11:43 AM   #3755
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Its already 3 lanes and there a ton of traffic that goes north south there as well.
It's 2 lanes eastbound between East of Sarcee and 37 Street. If more cars are coming from Sarcee now, 2 lanes there is not going to be enough during AM rush hour. The 3 lanes westbound I think work fine now during PM rush hour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Drove through Sarcee south to Glenmore east this morning. The Stoney trail to the south is still not opened.

I hope that common sense prevails, and they don't even bother with it, and go with what was originally intended.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #3756
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

23 years of taking the cluster that is Glenmore / 14St comes to an end just in time for hockey season. Getting to Southland Leisure Centre now becomes much simpler. Will be even better in a few years when the entire stretch of Stoney is opened, but I might be retired (from hockey) by that point......
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #3757
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
It's 2 lanes eastbound between East of Sarcee and 37 Street. If more cars are coming from Sarcee now, 2 lanes there is not going to be enough during AM rush hour. The 3 lanes westbound I think work fine now during PM rush hour?

I hope that common sense prevails, and they don't even bother with it, and go with what was originally intended.
Thats right the one lane ends then comes back at 37th.

It already backed up there in rush hour pre covid.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 12:13 PM   #3758
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Opening ceremony underway. Live presser: https://globalnews.ca/news/7369831/c...0GlobalCalgary
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #3759
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1311724956057829376

Old 10-01-2020, 12:25 PM   #3760
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
They’ll probably need to look at EB Glenmore onto NB Crowchild...making it a double left turn with another lane to get into Lakeview?
Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I don't know about a double left turn from the exit onto NB Crowchild though; I think there's only one through lane onto Crowchild north, with the other lane on the overpass being a dedicated turn lane from Crowchild onto WB Glenmore (Plus Crowchild at that point is two lanes from WB Glenmore > NB Crowchild, which is only 3 lanes, so there isn't room on Crowchild for two more lanes coming from the overpass).
This was part of the planned "Glenmore widening and interchange" project (https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...-projects.html, https://www.calgary.ca/content/dam/w...all-design.pdf). They finished all the widening of Glenmore itself, rebuilt the noise barrier at WB Glenmore to NB Crowchild, built the new pedestrian bridge at 54th Ave; for some reason the only thing that was planned as part of the project and DIDN'T get done was the double-turn from EB Glenmore to NB Crowchild and two straight-through lanes.

timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post: