Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #101
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats good stuff. Especially 'Gentleman's.'

We still need to try and have our scotch and cigar evening.
Now that Christmas is over we should set it up.

I still think this would be a great idea. We each bring a sampling of cigars and a favorite bottle.

Of course we'll have to figure out transportation and where to have it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2013, 01:15 AM   #102
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oban is a favourite (expensive favourite) and Dalwhinnie is always good, though also a bit on the pricey side. Never tried Highland.
Oban runs from what $90-$100. Great smoothness overall and just a nice light drink.

Dalwhinnie runs about $120-$130 if I am not mistaken.

I think I bought the Highland Park 18 for about 160 at a co-op liquor store west of anderson area. Tried it in that schmoozey restaurant in Chinook mall about three months before I bought it. It starts out strong and smokey but it smoothes out into a rich caramel flavour. At least thats my take on it. Its so smooth for a smokey single malt its surprising.

Also have a bottle of Arbelour 10 thats enjoyable for a $60 bottle.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #103
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to throw Glenrothes out there.

My dad's been trying to get into scotch ever since I got into it and he could never stomach it. Picked up a bottle of Glenrothes over the holidays and he actually finished half of it. Very smooth.

I'm also a fan of Oban and Mcallans (sp?).
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 AM   #104
drhu22
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Re: Any Scotch drinkers in the house?

How can anyone stand that foul tasting swill?

hmmm...maybe with gingerale
and tonic

Last edited by drhu22; 01-04-2013 at 01:36 AM.
drhu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:02 AM   #105
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was given a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask a while back and am very sad to be nearing the end of it. A very nice Scotch if you like peaty aromas.

I am doing my wine and spirits diploma now and have to be able to pass blind tastings for Scotch as well as other spirits and wines, so I have every excuse to sample many. Fortunately I can get a good selection in Shanghai and I expect I'll come back with more after I make a trip to Edinburgh for a blind tasting test this April.

Also, just for the sake of awareness, if it's not produced and aged in Scotland it's not called Scotch and should just be referred to as whisky. Scotch is a protected designation, just like Champagne.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #106
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
McCallan 12 and Glenmorangie Nectar D'or are my staples.

Neat, of course. I love scotch.
Tried the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban? Its delicious!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post

My dad's been trying to get into scotch ever since I got into it and he could never stomach it. Picked up a bottle of Glenrothes over the holidays and he actually finished half of it. Very smooth.

I really like Glenrothes. They bottle by the year which is pretty neat because once say the 1998 is gone, that's it. If you want to collect it that would be a good point. Plus, its a nice scotch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I was given a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask a while back and am very sad to be nearing the end of it. A very nice Scotch if you like peaty aromas.

I am doing my wine and spirits diploma now and have to be able to pass blind tastings for Scotch as well as other spirits and wines, so I have every excuse to sample many. Fortunately I can get a good selection in Shanghai and I expect I'll come back with more after I make a trip to Edinburgh for a blind tasting test this April.

Also, just for the sake of awareness, if it's not produced and aged in Scotland it's not called Scotch and should just be referred to as whisky. Scotch is a protected designation, just like Champagne.
I'm not as big a fan of the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I have a bottle and I will drink it, but its not my favourite.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #107
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

nm

Last edited by SeeBass; 03-03-2013 at 09:29 AM.
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #108
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let me be the first to offer to help you get rid of some of that terrible clutter!! Send it to a loving home!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #109
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I love scotch but I drink it over a few cubes of ice. I'm too cheap to buy scotch these days but I always drink obans when I go to a friends place. If I buy for myself its just Johnny Black or Famous Grouse. I love scotch scotchy scotchy scotch.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #110
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post

I'll support the Glenrothes, too! I got a new bottle from Mrs. Puppet for christmas which was probably my favourite gift.

I've found that drinking Scotch is almost a can't lose scenario: since it's an acquired taste you get to drink most of it yourself, and if someone else wants to partake in it they're obviously of good character.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #111
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

My collection is up to 14 bottles now, almost all of them single malt scotches (but I do have a few premium blends).
My wife got me a scotch taster's guide to learn more about it, and it's quite neat to read about what to taste for in a particular brand. Also handy to learn how to categorize and organize them according to tasting profiles and learn of similar scotches that might match my taste.

I prefer the smokey ones, so the Lagavulin 16 (like tasting a campfire) and the Caol Ila (I swear it's like smokey bacon, but without the salt) are my main go to. The McCallan brand is nice for something well rounded. Not a fan of the more floral and sweet ones like the Glenlivets and Glenmorangie
Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #112
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lagavulin 16yr is my favorite. I recently grabbed a bottle of the Lagavulin Distillers Edition but have yet to sample the goods.

I know a lot of folks who really love the Oban, but I find it far too bland. I tend to migrate to more pronounced flavours when it comes to my scotch choices.

I've recently tried a Macallan 18yr, but found it to have too much caramel for my tastes.

There are a pile of others I've had over that last year or two, including Glenrothers, Auchentoshan, and Glenfiddich, which have never struck a chord with me. The Johnnie Walker blends are just #### in my opinion. I had high hopes the Gold would be up to par, but it fell flat on its face. It will be a while before I go exploring in Johnnie's world again to try a bootle of Green.

The bottle that really got me hooked into scotch was a Bowmore 18yr. It was fantastic.

When the price tag of a good scotch is a little too high for that visit to the liquor store, I fall back on Woodford Reserve bourbon. I find it a step above Maker's Mark.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #113
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
My collection is up to 14 bottles now, almost all of them single malt scotches (but I do have a few premium blends).
My wife got me a scotch taster's guide to learn more about it, and it's quite neat to read about what to taste for in a particular brand. Also handy to learn how to categorize and organize them according to tasting profiles and learn of similar scotches that might match my taste.

I prefer the smokey ones, so the Lagavulin 16 (like tasting a campfire) and the Caol Ila (I swear it's like smokey bacon, but without the salt) are my main go to. The McCallan brand is nice for something well rounded. Not a fan of the more floral and sweet ones like the Glenlivets and Glenmorangie
If you are a fan of peet flavour try the Ardbeg. Highest peet count on the market. Now that is a strong profile.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeeBass For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #114
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBass View Post
If you are a fan of peet flavour try the Ardbeg. Highest peet count on the market. Now that is a strong profile.
It's definitely on the list of something I want to try
Old 01-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #115
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
It's definitely on the list of something I want to try
If you close your eyes and just smell it, you can smell the little island of Islay surrounded by the cold saltwater sea.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #116
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Superstore liquor store

While we all know not to buy pop at Superstore Liquor Store I find the scotch prices to be some of the most reasonable in the city.

Any other suggestions out there to get quality single malts without getting hosed?
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #117
oxygen
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I purchased a bottle of Oban from Costco Liquor Store yesterday for about $80 including tax, which is a good price. They didn't have much of a scotch selection though, will have to check out Superstore.
oxygen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #118
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I have a liquor depot across the street from my house, they have a decent enough selection and their price compares well with other liquor stores.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #119
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Strictly speaking, the Bruichladdich Octomore has the greatest concentration of phenol - which is the chemical we recognize as 'peatiness'.

And SeeBass, if you don't pull your goddamned finger out and start enjoying scotch I will whole-heartedly support a concerted CP effort to relieve you of access to your wife. Cowboy up and drink the stuff. That whole "I got plowed on it when I was a teenager and bleecch..." is psychosomatic; stop being a wuss.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #120
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be fair, I had the same result with Rum and Sambuca. Cannot stand the smell of it anymore. I mean Sambuca is really easy to hate. I would really like to try a bottle of Balvenie 12.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote