Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #101
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
I thought it was just symbolism with Dexter, the blood expert, dripping blood on to his new bride's white dress.
That's kind of what I thought too. It was sort of beautiful though, how they caught it dripping on the very white dress. Powerful visual.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:28 PM   #102
greerb
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

WOW that was the last episode of the season? I didn't realize that, it was quick. I thought the 2nd season was far better than this years.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:42 PM   #103
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
That's kind of what I thought too. It was sort of beautiful though, how they caught it dripping on the very white dress. Powerful visual.
I also thought it was just symbolism.

I wager that it will be a clip in the episode introductions for Season Four.

So far, I liked Season 1 the best, but all are great.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #104
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I highly doubt they will bring that up again. Dexter has his fair share of secrets so Rita is allowed one or two as well.
The first rule of storytelling is that if you're going to have a gun sitting on a mantel in Acts 1 and 2, it had better go off in Act 3. By the same token, if a gun on the mantel goes off in Act 3, it had better be in sight during the first 2 acts.

By revealing that Rita has been married twice before, they put a big f'ing gun on the mantel of the Morgan house. It better get fired next season.

According to the records Dexter found, Rita was 16 when she got married the first time. She's in her mid 30s now, and there's only one reason why any 16 year-old would ever get married, so that means that Dexter has an 18 or 19 year-old step-child out there somewhere.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #105
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

According to the records Dexter found, Rita was 16 when she got married the first time. She's in her mid 30s now, and there's only one reason why any 16 year-old would ever get married, so that means that Dexter has an 18 or 19 year-old step-child out there somewhere.
Who really fits the code well.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #106
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Who really fits the code well.
Obviously. They wouldn't have him show up and be well-adjusted. Either Rita's first husband or her first child will show up next year and be code-worthy.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:03 PM   #107
greerb
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Isn't Rita's first husband in jail. I can't remember if he is dead or not.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #108
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greerb View Post

2nd hubby was and now he's dead.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #109
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greerb View Post
No, that was her second husband -- as we found out last night. He died in prison.

Prior to this year's finale, there had been no indication that Rita had been married twice before. Her mother sent them a wedding card that said "hopefully the third time's a charm", which made Dexter check into Rita's past, where he discovered that she was first married when she was 16.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #110
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

well in the books its cody and astor being the ones that dexter apprentices as the new coded killers. They use alot of the ideas from the books and twist them a little for the tv show. I would imagine dexter next season has a kid (step son/daughter) that he must teach the code to.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:21 PM   #111
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthused View Post
Yeah, good call. My boyfriend has never seen the show, so maybe I'll force him to watch it with me this time around.

Has anyone read the books at all? I read all three of them before I watched the show. They were an easy read, but pretty entertaining, and they made me curious as to how they would be able to translate into a TV show. I definitely think the show goes above and beyond the books. The show doesn't really follow the books, and I actually think its a good thing.

Basically I can't say enough about the show!

I have read the books and wasn't that impressed. They really become murder mystry books which aren't really my style. The Dexter and Debra charactors are spot on with the books but everyone else isn't really developed. Even Rita is kind of a wooden charactor. As someone mentioned earlier having cody and Astor needing to be taught the code is really good in the books but the way he goes about it seems forced.

I think the books suffer from being to short to really develop the rich tapestry that is the Dexter we see on TV. If you want to read them the calgary library has them so they are worth borrowing but I wouldn't buy them.

To others wanting more of a cliff hanger one of the things I like about Dexter is that it is a 12 hour long movie with one complete and continuos plot that wraps up nicely when it is done. That is what makes it such masterful story telling everything has a purpose to advance the story the arks are well thought out and they don't add extra episodes to fix TV schedules or seasons. They give you 12 consecutive weeks of awsome story telling and let you wait for a year.

Last edited by GGG; 12-15-2008 at 09:25 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #112
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding the showdown with Dexter and King, there HAD to be DNA left behind from Dexter, and with his escaping so quickly out the window, he wouldn't have had nearly enough time to clean it up. I also assume the police have already gone through it, as Debra would have been involved. Also, an autopsy would have shown a cause of death to be different than the supposed death by cop (fall), or if Dexter's chokehold didn't kill him, the injuries would still come up in autopsy.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much into it, I don't know.

Great episode though. Great season. Too bad we have to wait so long, but that's life.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:10 PM   #113
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
Regarding the showdown with Dexter and King, there HAD to be DNA left behind from Dexter, and with his escaping so quickly out the window, he wouldn't have had nearly enough time to clean it up. I also assume the police have already gone through it, as Debra would have been involved. Also, an autopsy would have shown a cause of death to be different than the supposed death by cop (fall), or if Dexter's chokehold didn't kill him, the injuries would still come up in autopsy.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much into it, I don't know.

Great episode though. Great season. Too bad we have to wait so long, but that's life.
Yeah, but it was weird. Dexter knows the standard crime scene like the back of his hand. If he had ANY doubt, we would have heard something about it....no? I found it bizarre it was not even discussed as a concern.

I might be in the minority but I thought the finale was a let down. Too happy...not really a standard Dexter theme.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:10 AM   #114
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
I don't think it's going to mean anything because what happens if they find something? At the worst Dexter tells the truth. King came after him because of what Miguel, he managed to get free and killed him in self-defense. Dexter can explain away why he left the scene pretty easily. For example, he just wanted to get to his wedding and didn't want Rita to be worried on her wedding day.

There's nothing in what happened that could really advance the story. That's why I think that the case is closed on the Skinner story.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:30 AM   #115
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that's a good point, I didn't think of it that way.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:31 AM   #116
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
I might be in the minority but I thought the finale was a let down. Too happy...not really a standard Dexter theme.
Minority maybe, but you're not alone. I felt it was a bit of a let down also and said so earlier in this thread. Just left me wanting a wee bit more. I can hardly wait for next season. Will be great.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:29 AM   #117
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good season, weak finale. But I think Dexter should be showing more rage, like he did in the 1st season. Being a calm monster with strong self control is all good, but he doesn't seem to be struggling with it as much as he should be IMO.

Last but not least, Debra >>>>> Rita, easily.
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #118
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Of Liberty View Post
Last but not least, Debra >>>>> Rita, easily.
Did you see the shirt she was wearing in the finale?? It was like the flannel debacles that Al Borland used to wear on Home Improvement......not hot.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:33 AM   #119
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please tell me you have those little arrows backwards...please.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:49 AM   #120
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Did you see the shirt she was wearing in the finale?? It was like the flannel debacles that Al Borland used to wear on Home Improvement......not hot.
Yeah her clothes don't help, but she looks interesting, not a classic beauty but there is something about her. Also gotta love Debra's personality.

Rita is just a plain run of the mill blonde. If I was drunk I'd probably hit on LaGuerta rather than on her
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote