Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-30-2020, 03:27 PM   #421
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

For those that are in IT infrastructure (network, server, etc), if you see a job and thinking of applying, let me know. I have a lot of IT contacts at a lot of different companies so I can try to get you an intro.

I'm in IT as well, but not in those fields so I wouldn't be competing with you.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 04:12 PM   #422
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Mechanical planner/coordinator

Fingers Crossed!
Another not quite to add to the pile :/

At least I'm not unemployed

Last edited by indes; 10-01-2020 at 12:51 AM.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #423
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sorry Indes, was hoping for you.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 08:39 PM   #424
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Well, I got a job starting tomorrow, working for a friend, that will pay me more than EI.

Still looking for something more along the lines of what I was doing.

The position for I interviewed for in July, that never got back to me, reposted the same position, now stating the position is starting late this year, early next year. I applied again, as they may not have rejected me the first time around.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:15 PM   #425
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

So, after 2 months of silence, I got two interview requests in about 10 minutes this afternoon.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #426
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
So, after 2 months of silence, I got two interview requests in about 10 minutes this afternoon.
Nice. I received a video submission request this morning as well. It is for a role in Europe which I'm quite excited about. The money won't be great but I would enjoy an opportunity to spend some time Europe.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2020, 08:24 AM   #427
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

My thoughts and timeline in the last 6 months (I am a former Calgarian living in Vancouver btw);

- getting an interview in Calgary is incredibly difficult (hey, my parents and loads of friends live here... I miss them) and even through connections.
- new "normal" hourly/salary wages in Calgary have drastically been reduced since I left 3.5 years ago.. seriously, it was somewhat of a shock, wtf.
- Vancouver seemed to have more opportunity, faster recovery on the employment front June - Sept, wages seem the same (if not higher). I was looking all over and ready to move where the work was (albeit must be a major city)
- I got the layoff boot in mid-May, though hired as an consultant on the AFE 2 weeks later in a different role
- Very quiet on job/interview front until Aug/Sept, things started picking up
- Hired fulltime (yay benefits, first time in 2 years!) end of Sept away in Vancouver away from O&G but similar salary.

I am lucky I am a single guy with no kids so I get the added benefit of having the ability to pick up and go, but people on the fence of moving away from Calgary, I definitely say do it, at this current time at least. What I have seen is that Vancouver and Toronto markets are picking up steam and work is there if you go for it. Calgary will always be there and you can always come back when things pick up again, right now the competition for roles is insane and realistically the salaries/contracts being offered are atrocious.

Last edited by skudr248; 10-03-2020 at 08:45 AM.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #428
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Calgary market has been really lagging and shows no signs of picking up sadly.
JR449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #429
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It sucks so bad in Calgary.

It's been over a year now without anything coming up. I might just pick up and move to Vancouver at this point.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2020, 01:33 PM   #430
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
It sucks so bad in Calgary.

It's been over a year now without anything coming up. I might just pick up and move to Vancouver at this point.
Honestly do it... Vancouver is lacking professional talent to be quite honest and there is a lot of opportunity for people with 2-5+ years of experience. You will be surprised at how many ex-Calgarians / ex-O&G people are here, instantly become friends lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 10-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #431
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Honestly do it... Vancouver is lacking professional talent to be quite honest and there is a lot of opportunity for people with 2-5+ years of experience. You will be surprised at how many ex-Calgarians / ex-O&G people are here, instantly become friends lol.
Yeah I mean, I have 10 years of experience as an Electrical Engineer. I've done everything from Engineering design, calculations, project management, business development, procurement. The funny thing is, most of my experience isn't even in Oil and Gas. I've learnt how to program both industrial systems, as well as web apps.

I've worked in both Canada and the US.

Everyone tells my I have a fantastic resume, yet I can't even get a job at a warehouse, working part time for minimum wage. I'm starting to passionately hate this ####ing province. It's just turned into a bunch of people bitching about politicians, politicians bitching about other politicians and business leaders telling everyone that they have no money.

The day I can move to another province will be the happiest day of my life.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #432
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Find a sublet and go for it. I probably spent overall $10K on relocation by myself but it was worth it in the end (think of it as a one-time expense and it's easier to justify lol, plus its a tax break).

EDIT:

To add anyone looking but don't really know 'where' to look specifically and what companies are in Van for example;

- BC Hydro / FortisBC (utilities)
- Teck Resources / Newmont / Newcrest (mining majors here) plus endless minor players / EPC (mining companies btw are on a hiring spree for ex-O&G people I've found)
- Telus
- Amazon / SAP / Microsoft etc.
- Wood / Allnorth / SNC / Hatch etc.

Last edited by skudr248; 10-03-2020 at 06:06 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skudr248 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2020, 08:12 PM   #433
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Find a sublet and go for it. I probably spent overall $10K on relocation by myself but it was worth it in the end (think of it as a one-time expense and it's easier to justify lol, plus its a tax break).

EDIT:

To add anyone looking but don't really know 'where' to look specifically and what companies are in Van for example;

- BC Hydro / FortisBC (utilities)
- Teck Resources / Newmont / Newcrest (mining majors here) plus endless minor players / EPC (mining companies btw are on a hiring spree for ex-O&G people I've found)
- Telus
- Amazon / SAP / Microsoft etc.
- Wood / Allnorth / SNC / Hatch etc.

I've been throwing in decent customized cover letters and resumes into Fortis for months now... and not even a PFO. These are for roles that I legit fit and comply with about 90-95% of their requested skills list. Sigh... Former coworker/buddy of mine got picked up for an engineering role in Squamish pretty quickly.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #434
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
I've been throwing in decent customized cover letters and resumes into Fortis for months now... and not even a PFO. These are for roles that I legit fit and comply with about 90-95% of their requested skills list. Sigh... Former coworker/buddy of mine got picked up for an engineering role in Squamish pretty quickly.
I applied for two positions with Fortis in July or so and they replied to me in August with a generic rejection email.

To add to Skudr's list of companies that are actively hiring with significant volume take a look at Interior Health Authority. I've been trying to get on board with then in Kelowna for the last couple months as an Analyst but no luck yet.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2020, 09:19 PM   #435
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Yeah I mean, I have 10 years of experience as an Electrical Engineer. I've done everything from Engineering design, calculations, project management, business development, procurement. The funny thing is, most of my experience isn't even in Oil and Gas. I've learnt how to program both industrial systems, as well as web apps.

I've worked in both Canada and the US.

Everyone tells my I have a fantastic resume, yet I can't even get a job at a warehouse, working part time for minimum wage. I'm starting to passionately hate this ####ing province. It's just turned into a bunch of people bitching about politicians, politicians bitching about other politicians and business leaders telling everyone that they have no money.

The day I can move to another province will be the happiest day of my life.
If you do ever land work in your field I have a older brother whos a Journeyman / Foreman Electrician with 14+ years experience whos finishing off a project out in Fort Mac. You or any references can PM me if you need someone on your team. He may go for his Masters in Electrician when he comes back possibly.
JR449 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JR449 For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 10-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #436
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had a pre-screen interview that lasted almost 40 minutes last Thursday. The HR Coordinator told me she'd get in touch with a VP to see if there is anything else he'd like to find out, and that she'd try and get back to me Friday morning. If not, Monday (yesterday) would be the latest to advise of the next steps.

Should I follow-up with an email today, and if so, what should I send?

I've been with one company for a very long time, so I was surprised the pre-screen interview lasted so long. I'm not sure if that was a good of bad thing.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #437
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yes definitely follow up. Don't mention her implied timeline, just mentioned that you were really excited after your interview and wanted to keep the process moving forward.

Screening interviews by the HR person have become a massive tool to protect the time of the decision maker, they want every box checked off before they talk to you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #438
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yes definitely follow up. Don't mention her implied timeline, just mentioned that you were really excited after your interview and wanted to keep the process moving forward.

Screening interviews by the HR person have become a massive tool to protect the time of the decision maker, they want every box checked off before they talk to you.

Yes ALWAYS follow-up with a thank you, plus a positive reiteration of what makes you a good candidate and how you can boost their team, plus add something new and beneficial, and a statement that yes you are interested in working for them. Lastly, I think it's more than ok to state that you will contact them next week. Good luck!!
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 12:23 PM   #439
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Yes ALWAYS follow-up with a thank you, plus a positive reiteration of what makes you a good candidate and how you can boost their team, plus add something new and beneficial, and a statement that yes you are interested in working for them. Lastly, I think it's more than ok to state that you will contact them next week. Good luck!!
Thanks for the feedback! I neglected to mention that I did send a follow-up thank-you message the same day that I had my interview (she didn't reply). I just hope that I won't be harassing her too much.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:49 PM   #440
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Not at all, go for it, I like the suggestions above on the add ons.