Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-16-2020, 08:23 AM   #401
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR449 View Post
Does anyone here who works up in the higher rankings confirm is companies are having hiring freezes during this fall/ winter? Just looking out for insight on the current job seeking landscape.
You can't paint every company as similar. We just hired someone. Might hire another soon. I know another company on 'hiring freeze' but my buddy who manages a group there just hired 2 people.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #402
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Does anyone here who works up in the higher rankings confirm is companies are having hiring freezes during this fall/ winter? Just looking out for insight on the current job seeking landscape.
When I was working, we did our budgeting for the next year in July/August. We re-forecasted any existing capital projects for the current year and new ones for the next year. Not sure what industry you're in but in IT we'd have our projects hopefully submitted and approved by now so we'd know if we'd be able to hire project resources for 2021. If there is still a lot of spend remaining in this year's capital projects, we'd try to burn through that ASAP, including bring in contractors on this year to start doing some work, even though the official project may not start until 2021.

I'm strictly talking about contractor resources. Can't talk too much on employee hiring as the company I was with has been downsizing in what seems like forever.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #403
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
You can't paint every company as similar. We just hired someone. Might hire another soon. I know another company on 'hiring freeze' but my buddy who manages a group there just hired 2 people.
What industry?
JR449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:50 AM   #404
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What industry?
O&G consulting and a Producer. On the flip side though, I likely know of a few companies who will still be shedding bodies before the end of the year.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:02 PM   #405
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Here's my theory (which is also playing out where I'm working):

Back in March/April when everything hit, many companies were already struggling and used the pandemic to downsize heavily.

We re-forecasted our budgets and cut our workforce (both permanently and temporarily depending on the situation). This came with immediate hiring freezes. For some industries, the financial fallout continues and these businesses will obviously struggle.

As business resumed with the Phase 1 re-entry, our organization definitely saw a hit in revenue but it wasn't as bad as expected. Much of the work is still there, called back employees who were temp laid off, and we are now in the midst of re-hiring. The hiring freeze has been somewhat relaxed.

I don't think our total work force will be as a high as it was before, but we thought the remainder of 2020 would be disastrous but so far that isn't the case (although it isn't great either).

I imagine many businesses. depending on industry, likely had a similar experience. They probably downsized a little too much and are beginning to re-hire.

My two worthless cents.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 01:36 PM   #406
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post

I imagine many businesses. depending on industry, likely had a similar experience. They probably downsized a little too much and are beginning to re-hire.

My two worthless cents.
What sector is this?
Old 09-17-2020, 05:49 AM   #407
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My buddies back home working for producers are all on hiring freezes. Service side is frozen up. The bank and finance side aren't hiring either where other friends work. A few people I know in commercial property are also on halt.

I've got an engineer brother that's out of work after leaving a job with the AER in GP to go on his honeymoon and move back to Calgary after. He got back Feb 26th ready to find a job...I doubt he finds anything till this time next year.

Down here the O+g companies shed workforce a few months ago. We have LNG, the government is talking about backing pipelines...things are sustainable. Still I have a friend who's laid off as a geo and I doubt he finds work before Easter next year without switching to mining. He's looking at base metals as they're booming due to demand from China, but it's tough to get a look on his CV.

Keep trying, but don't beat yourself up if you can't find anything for a few months. There's a new Xbox coming out, get one of those, crush the gym and cut expenses. Ultimately ou'll work a long time in your career, looking back on a year off isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of it all. It's not you, the economy is in the pits.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #408
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

You know the market is slow when you get excited that you got an automated notification that a company viewed your application.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:29 AM   #409
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got another bite on the job I've been trying to get for a year now. Trying not to get my hopes up too much but was told I should hear early next week.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #410
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Got another bite on the job I've been trying to get for a year now. Trying not to get my hopes up too much but was told I should hear early next week.
What field fren. Sounds great!
Old 09-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #411
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Best of luck, the happiest day here will be when a thread like this isn't needed. Impossible I know, but a guy can dream.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:25 PM   #412
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I been applying and not too many bites. Any positives are good.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #413
emti
Backup Goalie

Exp:

From March to August I applied to 96 jobs and kept an Excel sheet for me to see the results of my search. I received 15 flat out rejections, 5 interviews (2 of which completely ghosted me after the 2nd stage), got offers for 2, and 76 jobs with absolutely 0 response. I ended up choosing the job that I knew the least about, in an industry completely new to me, with a tech company that placed a huge emphasis on culture and company fit. I know how crappy it is and how demoralizing the job search can be - I just wanted to post this to say to those looking that it will come, eventually, and in my case it has been totally worth the lonnnnngggg and extremely frustrating wait. If anyone wants someone to take a look at a cover letter or resume, a 2nd set of eyes, or anything, feel free to DM me. It is an absolute grind but it will work out y'all, try not to get to down on yourself as hard as it is.
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to emti For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 02:42 PM   #414
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What field fren. Sounds great!
Mechanical planner/coordinator

Fingers Crossed!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:44 AM   #415
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I got the same PFO from the same company for a 2nd time, lol. I applied to the position back in early August and got a PFO shortly after on a weekend, so I assume I didn't make it through their ATS. Got the exact same email this morning on the same position. Tempted to write them back and tell them that rejecting me once was enough, lol.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:56 AM   #416
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have an interview this aft for a job I applied for mid-August. I kept reaching out every 2 weeks and eventually wore them down I suppose?? Like others, have been applying for many roles and hardly receive any response or later hear the role was cancelled/deferred and occasionally even filled. Also on "short list" at a couple places that are awaiting work to be released/awarded/funded and given the pathetic thrown-speech many projects have now been further deferred. So I figure there'll be another wave of layoffs in Calgary's O&G community imminently (TC Energy is going through one this week).
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:30 AM   #417
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, talking to a family member at a major, they just went through another wave of layoffs, with another one coming up in the next couple of months. So its going to get tougher in this province, and a lot of companies that I have talked to are in the wait phase.

I will say that another family member that works for a paving company can't keep up with their work demand because of for example Amazon projects and provincial projects. So there are things that are happening.

All I can preach and its been said before is persistent and playing the numbers game. Even if you don't feel great about the position, apply anyways because you get in their system and you'll be picked up of informed of other positions.

I went back and looked at my March to June spreadsheet before I found this current gig. And I send out about 175 applications and really only interviews for about 12 of those.

I don't have any answers in terms of brilliant strategies except that the clear trap questions are income expectations. A lot of people are applying and low balling their pay expectations because it gets you more interviews. The other trap can tend to be over qualification, because the sense is that you won't stick around when times get better.

If your resume shows a lot of job bouncing find a way to clean that up on your resume, every cover letter should be a selling document specific to that role. Link your experience and knowledge to their requirements.

I'm crossing my fingers for all of you, I know what I went through in my search, at least mentally, there were times that I was just so ready to give up. You can't find a process and stick to it, it helps with your mental state.

I'm always here to help. Resume reviews, if you want to talk about a role and matching it to you, if you want to go through a mock interview (I have years of recruiting experience) I'm there.

I want to give back to this community that has been good to me, and there seem to be a lot of great people here as well, and I feel like I can help.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 01:48 PM   #418
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Yeah, talking to a family member at a major, they just went through another wave of layoffs, with another one coming up in the next couple of months. So its going to get tougher in this province, and a lot of companies that I have talked to are in the wait phase.

I will say that another family member that works for a paving company can't keep up with their work demand because of for example Amazon projects and provincial projects. So there are things that are happening.

All I can preach and its been said before is persistent and playing the numbers game. Even if you don't feel great about the position, apply anyways because you get in their system and you'll be picked up of informed of other positions.

I went back and looked at my March to June spreadsheet before I found this current gig. And I send out about 175 applications and really only interviews for about 12 of those.

I don't have any answers in terms of brilliant strategies except that the clear trap questions are income expectations. A lot of people are applying and low balling their pay expectations because it gets you more interviews. The other trap can tend to be over qualification, because the sense is that you won't stick around when times get better.

If your resume shows a lot of job bouncing find a way to clean that up on your resume, every cover letter should be a selling document specific to that role. Link your experience and knowledge to their requirements.

I'm crossing my fingers for all of you, I know what I went through in my search, at least mentally, there were times that I was just so ready to give up. You can't find a process and stick to it, it helps with your mental state.

I'm always here to help. Resume reviews, if you want to talk about a role and matching it to you, if you want to go through a mock interview (I have years of recruiting experience) I'm there.

I want to give back to this community that has been good to me, and there seem to be a lot of great people here as well, and I feel like I can help.
Hey Captain, I wouldn't call myself a serial job hopper, but I've had a few 1-2 year tenures in my resume. How do you suggest I manage that and would you think that raises any red flags?
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:18 PM   #419
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Great question, in the old days you could basically eliminate those jobs and extend the other jobs

In this case the most positive thing that you can do in those short term jobs is emphasize things that you achieved (ie targets hit, changes you made and the effects of the change, ie I pushed though an initiative that saved x dollars or increased sales x amount) that way even if you were there for a short period of time you made a impact there, and then moving on makes some sense.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 09-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #420
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm in the same boat as many others here. Send out loads of applications, some on fliers and a few that I matched PERFECTLY. Next to zero response from all but maybe 1%. I did have a couple interviews (startup/innovator and major utility) this week though so it does feel like it is picking up a bit. Would love both gigs, but will see how they play out.

Props to emti + Captain for offering to help take a look at your resume. I reached out to CC and it definitely was worth it. It's a grind, chins up.

Happy to take a look at other folks resumes as well. My background is in engineering, O&G and cleantech, with a very diverse skillset (bus/tech/innovation) which apparently makes getting a job harder, lol.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote