Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2020, 07:23 PM   #3061
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Darkest Dungeon Kickstarter. I'm probably just interested in the minis.

EDIT:

Had the wrong link.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-board-game

Last edited by chemgear; 10-20-2020 at 08:39 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:09 PM   #3062
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uh, that Kickstarter is ancient man. Like, the game was completed and released years ago.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #3063
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never played a Pokemon game. Need something new for my 3DS. Which one should I get? I don't mind old RPG's or older games, if those are better to start with. These are my options:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/3ds/3ds-pokemon-games/
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:25 PM   #3064
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

For 3ds? Bravely Default / Second if you haven't done them yet.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:27 PM   #3065
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you've never played them before, I'd start with one of Gold/Silver/Crystal. They're essentially two games since they had the map/gym leaders for both Gen 1 and 2.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 08:38 PM   #3066
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Uh, that Kickstarter is ancient man. Like, the game was completed and released years ago.
Opps! Sorry! It's new and for the board game! (I put the wrong link, lol)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-board-game

https://twitter.com/user/status/1289979573472354304

Last edited by chemgear; 10-20-2020 at 09:51 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 09:02 PM   #3067
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I've never played a Pokemon game. Need something new for my 3DS. Which one should I get? I don't mind old RPG's or older games, if those are better to start with. These are my options:

https://www.nintendo.com/games/3ds/3ds-pokemon-games/
If you can get your hands on the DS version Soul Silver or Heart Gold, they're a re-master of the original Gold/Silver/Crystal you get from the 3DS store. It's my all time favorite pokemon game

If not Soul Silver, then I recommend Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

My rankings of all the Pokemon games would be:

1. Soul Silver/Heart Gold
2. Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby
3. Red/Blue/Yellow
4. Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon
5. Black/White + Black 2/White 2
6. Sword/Shield
7. X/Y

I've played every pokemon game and their remakes except for the 4th generation
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2020, 09:25 PM   #3068
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
For 3ds? Bravely Default / Second if you haven't done them yet.
I've played Bravely Default, wasn't interested in the second one. Mostly looking to try Pokemon this time.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:08 AM   #3069
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Soul Silver/Heart Gold seem to be unobtanium. The cheap ones sound like they are knock-offs, and otherwise they are $50-100. Is the regular Gold and Silver worth playing, or to old to recommend?
Old 10-21-2020, 07:53 AM   #3070
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the originals are still great and a good place to start. It's really just updated graphics (which have never mattered in Pokemon) and a few quality of life things in the remake

Pick up Crystal instead of Gold or Silver though. Same games, but Crystal came out a year or so later and added a lot. It looks better, added new Pokemon sprites and animations, as well as added to the storyline
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 08:07 AM   #3071
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool, $10 is more my speed, and I have no issue with older graphics. Will try some Crystal this weekend.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:34 AM   #3072
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Soul Silver/Heart Gold seem to be unobtanium. The cheap ones sound like they are knock-offs, and otherwise they are $50-100. Is the regular Gold and Silver worth playing, or to old to recommend?
If you want to play the DS Pokemon games that are ridiculously expensive, you can always use the Drastic emulator on an Android phone. It works really nicely in vertical orientation, and pretty much any phone released in the last 3-4 years should play all the DS games without issue
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #3073
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crystal is great. You won’t regret it. Heart Gold and Soul Silver are very highly regarded so they’re hard to find but Crystal will give you a similar feel, just with older graphics and missing a few features.

Diamond and Pearl are a good time but are extremely slowly paced and might not be the best place to start off.

Black and White are also great games and are geared to a bit of an older audience. The last truly great Pokémon games.

Personally I’d stay away from any of the games made for 3DS and beyond. X and Y were bad Sun and Moon were awful, and the Switch games are a downright rip off. The quality has really dropped in the games recently. The Ruby/Sapphire remakes might be the one exception but even those were a noticeable downgrade from the originals.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #3074
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Cool, $10 is more my speed, and I have no issue with older graphics. Will try some Crystal this weekend.
Careful, I have heard that game is addictive.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 03:55 PM   #3075
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beyond the Wire entered early access today. Canadian Devs that split off from OWI are the creators. Still published by OWI.

Enjoying it so far. Bug free but not a lot of features at the moment, only 3 maps and only has the Germans, French and US.

I know the lead dev and he's a great guy, CAF member that designs games in his spare time.

Not as hardcore as Verdun/Tannenberg but not as cheesy and arcadey as Battlefield 1

Spoiler!
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 04:20 PM   #3076
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Crystal is great. You won’t regret it. Heart Gold and Soul Silver are very highly regarded so they’re hard to find but Crystal will give you a similar feel, just with older graphics and missing a few features.

Diamond and Pearl are a good time but are extremely slowly paced and might not be the best place to start off.

Black and White are also great games and are geared to a bit of an older audience. The last truly great Pokémon games.

Personally I’d stay away from any of the games made for 3DS and beyond. X and Y were bad Sun and Moon were awful, and the Switch games are a downright rip off. The quality has really dropped in the games recently. The Ruby/Sapphire remakes might be the one exception but even those were a noticeable downgrade from the originals.
I hope the Sword/Shield backlash forces them to make some changes, but I'm not going to get my hopes up

The recent games have all been great for collecting Pokemon, breeding and shiny hunting with all the QoL features they've added, but the story and gameplay are more boring than ever. It's really disappointing since IMO Pokemon is one of the best IPs in all of gaming and has huge potential to grow
Old 10-21-2020, 04:24 PM   #3077
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
I hope the Sword/Shield backlash forces them to make some changes, but I'm not going to get my hopes up

The recent games have all been great for collecting Pokemon, breeding and shiny hunting with all the QoL features they've added, but the story and gameplay are more boring than ever. It's really disappointing since IMO Pokemon is one of the best IPs in all of gaming and has huge potential to grow
Half of the manpower working for Pokemon now works in making the mobile games.
As a result, they put far less work in the main series games.
If I'm not mistaken, Pokemon Go has been more profitable than the main series games.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:41 PM   #3078
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Half of the manpower working for Pokemon now works in making the mobile games.
As a result, they put far less work in the main series games.
If I'm not mistaken, Pokemon Go has been more profitable than the main series games.
Which is super disappointing when there's such a huge market for the main series games

Zelda BOTW is arguably one of the greatest games of all time and was a huge system seller. Zelda sold 18.6 million copies, Pokemon. Sword/Shield sold 18.2 million
Old 10-21-2020, 05:00 PM   #3079
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Which is super disappointing when there's such a huge market for the main series games

Zelda BOTW is arguably one of the greatest games of all time and was a huge system seller. Zelda sold 18.6 million copies, Pokemon. Sword/Shield sold 18.2 million
Yes, Pokemon is by far the highest-grossing media franchise of all time.
Second to Mario for video game sales, but far ahead if you include the anime, toys, movies, cards, clothes, etc. You'd think they could put more work in.

However, BOTW didn't require 800 sprites to code, model, and animate.
So it probably is quite taxing. We never see Pokemon games released with new consoles. BOTW, in comparison, was a successful launch title.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:43 PM   #3080
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If you want to play the DS Pokemon games that are ridiculously expensive, you can always use the Drastic emulator on an Android phone. It works really nicely in vertical orientation, and pretty much any phone released in the last 3-4 years should play all the DS games without issue
Oh man, pirating...it's been so many years! Then I remembered I have an R4 for my DSi. I'll have to dig it out and see if it works. See, Nintendo, I'd give you money if you made it available on a virtual shop, instead of buying off ebay for $100.