Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-15-2020, 04:21 PM   #241
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
That was an excellent tutorial to help me understand the technology. It says little to compare brands.

I’m looking at Samsung, LG, and Sony. Sony used to be a top-rated set but is that still the case? I understand that LG and Samsung are both rated high? Any recommendations between those brands? I’m leaning toward Samsung but the guy in that video likes LG.

Price isn’t a huge deal to me although I don’t want to spend a fortune as this will be our No. 2 TV (basement, mostly for my use).
I used to be a huge Samsung guy, never bought anything else. Then I got a decent deal on the LG OLED B6 a few years back and have nothing but positive things to say about LG. But I also have heard good things about the Sony XBR's, Samsung QLED's and the new TCL mini-led QLED. I was trumpeting the new Vizio OLED's earlier in this thread but stupid Vizio has pulled out of Canada for some dumb reason.

I guess it really depends on what you prefer at your desired price range.

Last edited by Since1984; 10-15-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 04:47 PM   #242
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
That was an excellent tutorial to help me understand the technology. It says little to compare brands.

I’m looking at Samsung, LG, and Sony. Sony used to be a top-rated set but is that still the case? I understand that LG and Samsung are both rated high? Any recommendations between those brands? I’m leaning toward Samsung but the guy in that video likes LG.

Price isn’t a huge deal to me although I don’t want to spend a fortune as this will be our No. 2 TV (basement, mostly for my use).
Rtings.com is an excellent site to compare brands and they have reviews. Personally I recently bought the Sony Xbr65900h. I believe the 55" version is around 1200 right now. Its an LED and a great choice if you are considering one of the new gaming systems now or in the future. I also have the XBR65X900F from a couple years ago in another room. And 2 old Sony LCD's that are well over 10 years old that still work great. As a brand for TV's. Sony is still one of the best imo.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:28 PM   #243
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

OLED is a level above anything else, and Sony and LG are the only available choices, I think. If that's too pricey, then Samsung or TCL seem to be the preferred brands at the moment.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:39 PM   #244
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I just bought the Hisense Q9G 65' for $900, IMO it's the best bang for your buck right now alongside TCL. The main difference between the two is Android TV on Hisense and Roku on TCL, I prefer Android so that's why I went that way. Picture quality is fantastic, and it has no issues playing big 4K movies from my Plex server, even over wifi
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 09:56 PM   #245
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Nvm

Last edited by Deviaant; 10-16-2020 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Felt like I was bragging
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:18 AM   #246
doublej_23
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I picked this TV up 6 months ago and it's on sale again. Picture quality is unreal, I would recommend this to anyone looking for a higher quality 4k tv.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...cxpua/14516295

OLED55CXPUA on for 1999.99
OLED65CXPUA on for 2899.99
doublej_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doublej_23 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2020, 01:25 AM   #247
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I personally wouldn't buy a display model as they are on all day for who knows how many days usually on some vivid demo setting but if Costco warranties it like a new one it may not be a bad deal.
I ALWAYS get the floor model. They do always cover it with regular warranty. A typical LED in a T.V is 80,000 lamp hours on average. The t.v doesn't stay on 24/7 usually just when the store is open.

So for example I'll use my current t.v .
They do keep records of when a t.v model gets put onto the floor and year of model etc etc thats how they determine the price. Mine was on the floor for 8 months for 15 hours a day so roughly 3,600 hours of use. I got this t.v that was almost 2000 bucks ( 50 inch) for 680 plus tax . That was in 2017. Its 4k , lg trumotion 240,120hz native led etc etc. Full warranty plus I *did* poney up for an extra 50 bucks for 5 year extended warranty because I did get paronoid that it was a floor model but w/e I still think made out like a bandit.

Tech prices obviously drop quickly. Even now tho I still in the long run got a smoking deal becaise to can get that same t.v now for around 900 bucks . So I got the same t.v 3 years earlier and still got it at a better deal than new now.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 10-21-2020 at 01:27 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 11:43 PM   #248
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going shopping tomorrow. I’ll see if I come home with a new set.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:09 PM   #249
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought a Sony 55X800H. Thank you, everyone, for the advice.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 06:17 PM   #250
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it actually the case that there are no more Vizios being sold in Canada? I'm considering grabbing a refurbished one.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:44 PM   #251
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Is it actually the case that there are no more Vizios being sold in Canada? I'm considering grabbing a refurbished one.
As far as I can tell this is the case. I can not find a Canadian retailer selling any of Vizio's new 2021 TV's.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 06:29 AM   #252
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

All, I am in the market for a 75-80" TV.

Hoping to get something on Black Friday or even Boxing Day, but in the meantime, if there are any deals out there or brands/models you recommend, I'd love to hear them! Any good bang-for-you-buck deals out there?

Last edited by ricosuave; 10-30-2020 at 08:49 AM.
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:39 AM   #253
doublej_23
Backup Goalie

Exp:

These guys (Kelowna based company) have some really good Black Friday protected deals:
https://www.andreselectronicexperts.com/en/cp-flye

The closest one in the flyer to your spec is the Sony here, but its worth checking out the rest of their site.
Sony XBR-85X800H 85" 2499 (800 off)

My favorite tv now is also on sale
55" LG OLED CX 1898
65" LG OLED CX 2598
55" LG OLED BX 1698
65" LG OLED BX 2398
doublej_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 08:40 AM   #254
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej_23 View Post
These guys (Kelowna based company) have some really good Black Friday protected deals:
https://www.andreselectronicexperts.com/en/cp-flye

The closest one in the flyer to your spec is the Sony here, but its worth checking out the rest of their site.
Sony XBR-85X800H 85" 2499 (800 off)

My favorite tv now is also on sale
55" LG OLED CX 1898
65" LG OLED CX 2598
55" LG OLED BX 1698
65" LG OLED BX 2398
It's funny that the 48" costs more than the 55". I get it but wish it were not so.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #255
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
They pulled out in the summer. Apparently they weren't selling enough units to warrant the expense of bringing the TV's to Canada to sell at small margins with the extra expenses of Canada specific documentation and English/French packaging, etc. The added sales slump of the pandemic kind of sealed the deal. I was kind of surprised as I thought they were doing well up here as I own a Vizio and know several people that also own them.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 10:58 AM   #256
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah that's disappointing. It's pretty much the only non OLED I would buy and I doubt I'll ever be able to justify the cost of one of the larger OLEDs. Meanwhile I can go get a 75" p series for 1500 bucks.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #257
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looking for 65” with the bells and whistles for around 1100-1500. Any chance something comparable to a Vizio set is available?
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:22 PM   #258
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIP MAN View Post
Looking for 65” with the bells and whistles for around 1100-1500. Any chance something comparable to a Vizio set is available?

Yep, this is likely the best option in that range. TCL 6 series, this years model is a QLED. Amazing TV's for the price.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...35-ca/14671246
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #259
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do you guys transport these large TV's home? I have a truck but have read laying them down flat isn't good for them?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #260
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK need some CP help.

Won a contest at work, get a TV from Amazon Prime cost of TV has to be no more than ~$660

Suggestions for a great value set? Looking 50-55"

Last edited by I_H8_Crawford; 11-02-2020 at 10:04 AM.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote