Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2020, 08:06 AM   #1201
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I thought instead of the dilithium exploding, they could have had the use of warp drive finally killing the ability to use warp drive. They hinted at it happening in a TNG episode.

The story itself was ok, it was a bit of a stretch in terms of the reason why the Federation died.

Yeah that acting when she was all emotional, and then when she was tripping balls was the worst.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:10 AM   #1202
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The warp thing actually would have made some logical sense, considering it has been discussed before. But I don't think the writers have actually seen a Star Trek episode to be aware of that.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:30 AM   #1203
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They solved the subspace damage issue starting with the Intrepid class and its “clean” warp field technology I believe.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:06 AM   #1204
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

S1 e3. I can’t for the life of me figure out the point of those awful first two episodes. E3 was phenomenal and the series works so much better without episodes 1 and 2. They add nothing to the series. This episode had more than enough exposition to get the gist of things, adds some new mystery to the story and without the first two turds, Michael’s backstory would have more mystery as well. Why did we need to see her start the war? It’s way more interesting opening with her on the prison shuttle and the viewer getting crumbs here and there. Even eps 1 & 2 spread throughout s1 as flashbacks would’ve worked so much better. Thankfully I hated eps 1 & 2 and have almost blocked it from my memory so some of it does still feel mysterious. Especially with a show like Star Trek where you have a built in knowledgeable audience. We didn’t need to see the Klingons declaring war. We know they like to fight. Dropping us in to the middle of the conflict and letting us figure out they’re at war didn’t need two whole episodes of exposition. Anyone could have figured that out after like 10 mins in episode 3. Mainly because they felt the need to explain it all again. Almost as if the first two episodes were written and tacked on after ep 3 was written. I can’t imagine why though. Figured the audience needed a big space fight to draw in the modern trek fans who only want ‘splosions and don’t care about the roots of the franchise?

The red head is a bit annoying but she’s clearly meant to be a foil to Burnham’s icy cold nature. Even the writing and acting seemed far superior to eps 1 and 2.

Is that beast thing the captain had aboard at the end the same one from the Glenn? Or does he have his own pet monster for some reason?

In any event, I’m glad I didn’t give up, again, due to those two turds as episode 3 more than makes up for the awful start.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-17-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:39 AM   #1205
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One more plus: I have grown to really like the opening theme music. Far superior to the general anesthetic of the Picard theme.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 10:49 AM   #1206
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

@cecil The thing about season 1 is they didn’t know they were going to be renewed. They were planning on wrapping up the season somewhere around the middle, so prepare for it to get quite disjointed once they realize they need to fill out extra episodes.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 10:50 AM   #1207
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The warp thing actually would have made some logical sense, considering it has been discussed before. But I don't think the writers have actually seen a Star Trek episode to be aware of that.

Which episode on TNG was this?
Old 10-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #1208
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wouldn't the Romulans have taken over? They use artificial singularities to power their warp drive. Everyone knows that.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by starseed; 10-17-2020 at 01:24 PM.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to starseed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 01:17 PM   #1209
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Which episode on TNG was this?
Season 7 episode 9 - force of nature

Also, I think Martin-Green is a positive point for the show and makes up for some of the writing. Overall, I'm hopeful for this season.

Last edited by starseed; 10-17-2020 at 01:21 PM.
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to starseed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #1210
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post

Also, I think Martin-Green is a positive point for the show and makes up for some of the writing. Overall, I'm hopeful for this season.

Interesting commentary from Michael Pillar about that episode, but can’t quote of iMDb.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:37 PM   #1211
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Even so, that would be hard to wedge in, since the Discovery crew existed about 100 yrs prior to those events in TNG, and then just immediately skipped past it by 800 years.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #1212
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going to ask some questions to see if its worth trying to get back into this show, but...no. Every time I turn this show on its unwatchable.

Watching this show I feel like Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange...it takes effort to watch this show, as though I'm being forced, and then I find I have to turn my brain off because nothing makes sense and it just generally isnt enjoyable. I dont like any of the characters. When they decide to murder Micheal Burnham by launching her into a Sun let me know. That I would watch.

But I'm not going to dump on it for the people who do enjoy it. Well...not anymore than I already have. Sorry about that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 02:28 PM   #1213
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post

Really? I don't find her to be very good at all. She has one acting mode. Everything is a look of concerned befuddlement. Part of it is the writing, putting 95% of the weight on her,and never giving the characters a chance to sit and talk like at ten forward. We only ever see them chasing chaos. But she never exhibits much range, herself.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 03:45 PM   #1214
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't think any actress could make Michael Burnham likeable.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2020, 06:51 PM   #1215
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There was an interview where she talked about wanting to go back to the Walking Dead, to which the casting agent for the show went "Nope"

Old 10-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #1216
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
There was an interview where she talked about wanting to go back to the Walking Dead, to which the casting agent for the show went "Nope"
Well...her character on TWD is well and truly dead, so I dont know how she would think that would work.

They literally killed her so she could jump to STD.

At least Lauren Cohan was smart enough to hedge her bets when she jumped to a new show and they just shuffled her TWD character Maggie off to the side so when her new show got canned she could come back.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #1217
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just watched the premier this morning and while I was totally disorientated with what was going on, I figured things out as the episode went on. Burnam and Book have pretty good chemistry

The future feels significantly different than the established timeline, and I for one was ready to move on. Looking forward to exploring this future
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2020, 10:49 AM   #1218
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its funny because you'd think a thousand years in the future the Discovery would be the weakest ship in the galaxy. A garbage scow with a futurist hand phaser fired out the window would blow the discovery up.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:54 AM   #1219
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its funny because you'd think a thousand years in the future the Discovery would be the weakest ship in the galaxy. A garbage scow with a futurist hand phaser fired out the window would blow the discovery up.
Didnt they do this already?

Wasnt the 'Big Bad' ship in Star Trek 2009 that mowed through Starfleet like a hot knife through butter just a run-of-the-mill mining ship from the relatively near future?

Old 10-18-2020, 10:54 AM   #1220
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Except it doesn’t need dilithium for travel, just a very worn out Lt. Stamets.