Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
*cough Inglewood

Are they particularly brutal?

Quote:
As much as people hate windmill, I'd seriously consider the "southern swing" young professional membership with playgolf calgary. Their courses are Heatherglen, GlenEagles, Serenity and Bluedevil.

For this membership they ditched Glen Eagles and give you the three "south" courses for $1800 for the year. Screaming deal for three courses, imo. The thing that has held me back from a golf membership is the old paying for a membership and then your buddies don't want to play at your course every week so you up end spending another $1500 on other rounds on top of your membership.

This one alleviates that a bit so your friends don't get single course fatigue from golfing with you. (young professional got raised from 30 to 35 years old this season).
As far as the "playing with friends" angle, I was a little concerned about that, and I guess I've spent a little more going to some other courses. But I've also played with a bunch of new people this year and realised pretty quickly that no one cares whether you're a good golfer. I feel like that's a hang-up that a lot of higher handicappers have, but it's so irrelevant.

The truth is no one cares what you shoot. If you take a million practice swings, look for every ball as though its a family heirloom and view each putt from every angle then yeah...people aren't going to be pleased to play with you. But the reality is that if you keep a decent pace, and are a generally friendly and nice person, people are welcoming and nice in return. It's pretty much common sense, in my eyes.

For me, having a membership has been great. I've met a lot of new people, made some new friends and just have more people to golf with. That doesn't mean that I abandoned my other friends that I played with, it just added to my overall rounds this year.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #3442
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
Was he the member who allegedly was the general contractor for the clubhouse project? Rumour is, that guy should have had lots of disposable cash with which to buy a big chunk of the club for a song...
He was not....
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #3443
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
As much as people hate windmill, I'd seriously consider the "southern swing" young professional membership with playgolf calgary. Their courses are Heatherglen, GlenEagles, Serenity and Bluedevil.

For this membership they ditched Glen Eagles and give you the three "south" courses for $1800 for the year. Screaming deal for three courses, imo. The thing that has held me back from a golf membership is the old paying for a membership and then your buddies don't want to play at your course every week so you up end spending another $1500 on other rounds on top of your membership.

This one alleviates that a bit so your friends don't get single course fatigue from golfing with you. (young professional got raised from 30 to 35 years old this season).
Thats a fine idea and with Serenity at 27 holes and soon 36, even more options. played he new 9 last week, quite liked it, tricky greens though
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:56 PM   #3444
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Are they particularly brutal?

As far as the "playing with friends" angle, I was a little concerned about that, and I guess I've spent a little more going to some other courses. But I've also played with a bunch of new people this year and realised pretty quickly that no one cares whether you're a good golfer. I feel like that's a hang-up that a lot of higher handicappers have, but it's so irrelevant.

The truth is no one cares what you shoot. If you take a million practice swings, look for every ball as though its a family heirloom and view each putt from every angle then yeah...people aren't going to be pleased to play with you. But the reality is that if you keep a decent pace, and are a generally friendly and nice person, people are welcoming and nice in return. It's pretty much common sense, in my eyes.

For me, having a membership has been great. I've met a lot of new people, made some new friends and just have more people to golf with. That doesn't mean that I abandoned my other friends that I played with, it just added to my overall rounds this year.
I often play with golfers who are much better than me. It challenges my game and helps me to play better. Part of the game is the friendships that develop and the good conversations you have. While I don't score as well as them I can keep up and TBQH that's all they care about.

I have zero problems finding someone to play with and often have different groups I play with during the week. The same groups fight over who gets me to play with them in club tournaments.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:00 PM   #3445
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulate View Post
Thanks, I’ll have to contact them for more info. I looked at Play Golf Calgary but didn’t see the intermediate rates on their site and thought the standard rates were a bit steep. $1800 for 3 courses (72 holes total) is fantastic.
You can play Nanton for $1250 a year. Mind you it's a bit of a drive from Calgary.

In fact we have a lot of members who live in Calgary who consider what we offer to be good value for the money they spend and make the drive.
Old 10-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #3446
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Thats a fine idea and with Serenity at 27 holes and soon 36, even more options. played he new 9 last week, quite liked it, tricky greens though
Oh man are they tough.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 03:38 PM   #3447
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Oh man are they tough.
now that i have played it once, i would for sure try to be below the hole, not that i have that kind of accuracy i suppose
Old 10-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #3448
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
You can play Nanton for $1250 a year. Mind you it's a bit of a drive from Calgary.

In fact we have a lot of members who live in Calgary who consider what we offer to be good value for the money they spend and make the drive.
I've always wanted to give Nanton a try. Next summer when I'm back hopefully.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #3449
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
now that i have played it once, i would for sure try to be below the hole, not that i have that kind of accuracy i suppose

Yep, above any hole there is tough. I actually really enjoy putting super fast, difficult greens, but I definitely have to just enjoy the challenge and not get bent out of shape at the number of lost strokes on greens.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:31 PM   #3450
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
I've always wanted to give Nanton a try. Next summer when I'm back hopefully.
They also have memberships for people under the age of $40 for $800 a year. An effort on the part of the course to attract younger members.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:01 AM   #3451
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hooked up my Optishot simulator today. Before even taking a shot, my dog peed on the hitting mat.
Review so far N/A
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2020, 09:25 AM   #3452
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Hooked up my Optishot simulator today. Before even taking a shot, my dog peed on the hitting mat.
Review so far N/A
I'm super curious how the sim works out.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2020, 05:44 PM   #3453
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulate View Post
Thanks! Looked into that and an intermediate unrestricted is $1025 annually, seems like a great deal. I've never played down there. Anyone with experience there or Carstairs? Both about 40 minute drives but with significantly lower annual fees.
I've played in the Men's League for several years.

They got a new super this year who worked at Canyon Meadows previously. Needless to say the course hasn't been in this good of shape since I've played there. The course did suffer some ice damage this year on a couple holes which never really grew back.

It's not the best course in Calgary by any measure, but it really makes you hit your shots and you get through the bag pretty well.

I'm really looking forward to what this super can do in the future.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:00 AM   #3454
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://calgarysun.com/news/local-ne...4-07ab6c763c4b

Lakeside Golf Course has kicked the bucket now.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2020, 12:06 PM   #3455
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post

I found some free golf passes at home for Lakeside with no expiry. Will need to use those next year. not a bad course at all. I'm guessing they had a good year this year but it has to be difficult with our short season.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:47 PM   #3456
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I found some free golf passes at home for Lakeside with no expiry. Will need to use those next year. not a bad course at all. I'm guessing they had a good year this year but it has to be difficult with our short season.
It was in pretty rough shape this year. I could see why they going under.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 03:00 PM   #3457
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post

Guess they can focus on the course in Mesa now.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:15 PM   #3458
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
But the reality is that if you keep a decent pace, and are a generally friendly and nice person, people are welcoming and nice in return. It's pretty much common sense, in my eyes.
Absolutely agreed. No one likes playing with slow players. Even slow players themselves don't like playing with other slow players.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:46 PM   #3459
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Guess they can focus on the course in Mesa now.
I love Las Sendas. I’ve played it a number of times and it’s great.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:38 PM   #3460
jayswin

Exp:

A lot of courses were originally looking at Oct 28 as a possible end of season. I'd imagine most will pack it in now. Just got the city of Calgary alert as they switched to an immediate closure on all courses.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow