Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2020, 01:51 PM   #3421
formulate
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I have heard that the Winston Club has a very good young professional membership (https://thewinstongolfclub.com/memberships/#annual-c).
Thanks! I did look into the Winston as we live a couple minutes away. It's on the high end of our budget but the thing I don't like is the weekend balloting behind the other categories and no tee times eariler than 11am on weekend. I had hoped for no restrictions. Delacour was one I had looked at and like the sound of - not sure if anyone had good/bad experiences elsewhere.
formulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:56 PM   #3422
formulate
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Not sure where you are in the city, but if you are in the south then River's Edge in Okotoks has really good membership options.
Thanks! Looked into that and an intermediate unrestricted is $1025 annually, seems like a great deal. I've never played down there. Anyone with experience there or Carstairs? Both about 40 minute drives but with significantly lower annual fees.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #3423
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
Windmill just sent out an e-mail blast for equity in Bearspaw for $15,900...and if you pay everything up front, they'll give you 15 guest passes for next season!

They must be high. One, that place is never going to regain any of it's former glory while under Windmill. And secondly, you can join Priddis for $20K or Country Hills for less than $10K right now, both of which are vastly superior clubs.

But, I guess it's like asking girls out. 99 times of out 100, you'll get a slap in the face. But that hundredth time is magic!
We played a round there this summer and were paired with a member (from pre-bankrupcy). He said that five members purchased or ended up with 50% ownership and Windmill (I think) had the other 50%. Sounded like it may not be a total Windmill operation going forward but I'm not sure how much involvement they would have. Maybe not as bad as we think.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:15 PM   #3424
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulate View Post
Thanks! I did look into the Winston as we live a couple minutes away. It's on the high end of our budget but the thing I don't like is the weekend balloting behind the other categories and no tee times eariler than 11am on weekend. I had hoped for no restrictions. Delacour was one I had looked at and like the sound of - not sure if anyone had good/bad experiences elsewhere.
Yah unless you are playing afternoons during the week the Winston is a pretty hard place to have a membership IMO.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:22 PM   #3425
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It might be a bit out of the way if you live near Winston but Pinebrook also has some sort of new affiliate intermediate membership that I received an email about previously. I don't know much about it but I believe it has full playing privileges. It looks like it was $2300 (plus $500 deposit?) for 2020.
https://www.pinebrookgolfclub.com/do...ip+Package.pdf
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2020, 02:26 PM   #3426
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks! Looked into that and an intermediate unrestricted is $1025 annually, seems like a great deal. I've never played down there. Anyone with experience there or Carstairs? Both about 40 minute drives but with significantly lower annual fees.
About half of my rounds this year were at River's Edge. It can give you a challenge for sure, but there is nothing there that I think is too hard. The front nine is pretty open but they use water and high fescue well to force you to keep it straight. Part of the back nine drops down by the river and it is tight with lots of trees. If you don't have your game sorted by then, it's trouble. Nine is an island green which is always fun to hit at. The one major con is it can get windy there from time to time.

I think it's really good value and its only about 25 minutes from me so it's not an outrageous drive to get that value.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:34 PM   #3427
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
We played a round there this summer and were paired with a member (from pre-bankrupcy). He said that five members purchased or ended up with 50% ownership and Windmill (I think) had the other 50%. Sounded like it may not be a total Windmill operation going forward but I'm not sure how much involvement they would have. Maybe not as bad as we think.
Was he the member who allegedly was the general contractor for the clubhouse project? Rumour is, that guy should have had lots of disposable cash with which to buy a big chunk of the club for a song...
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:29 PM   #3428
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
Windmill just sent out an e-mail blast for equity in Bearspaw for $15,900...and if you pay everything up front, they'll give you 15 guest passes for next season!

They must be high. One, that place is never going to regain any of it's former glory while under Windmill. And secondly, you can join Priddis for $20K or Country Hills for less than $10K right now, both of which are vastly superior clubs.

But, I guess it's like asking girls out. 99 times of out 100, you'll get a slap in the face. But that hundredth time is magic!
Priddis is $30k through the club. You can get a better deal on kijiji though, and it's fantastic. When you look into this, I would be careful with the bookings and how that's structured though. I've heard a few stories about the practices of clubs and it's concerning. Some of them seem to have gone out of their way to protect the bookings of "guys who have done this for years" and newer, younger members basically get shafted. Things like not allowing couples before certain times on weekends, or only letting certain classes of members book at certain times or having first crack at tee times. Definitely make sure that you're not getting whacked with anything like that (at least in my opinion).
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:33 PM   #3429
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you almost need to play 35+ rounds a year to really justify a membership. You will be paying $3000+ likely to get on somewhere of quality.

I've played 38 rounds this year, which is the most I have played ever I do think. So if I were to have payed for all my rounds I would have thought about a membership, but I have only paid for probably about half or so. Which makes membership just out of the question.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:36 PM   #3430
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Anyone have an indoor golf simulator cage/projector? Any recommendations for one?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:40 PM   #3431
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I think you almost need to play 35+ rounds a year to really justify a membership. You will be paying $3000+ likely to get on somewhere of quality.

I've played 38 rounds this year, which is the most I have played ever I do think. So if I were to have payed for all my rounds I would have thought about a membership, but I have only paid for probably about half or so. Which makes membership just out of the question.
I kind of agree, but it's also a case where you have a membership, so you play more. It's a sunk cost, so you might as well go play. I can't bring myself to admit the number of rounds I've played this year, but it was far and away the most golf I've ever played.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2020, 07:06 PM   #3432
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

A buddy and I played Speargrass today. The course was in excellent condition for this time of year. The greens were really making it hard to lag balls close to the holes.

Best part is we finished in 3 1/2 hours.

Booked a time for next week.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:14 PM   #3433
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I kind of agree, but it's also a case where you have a membership, so you play more. It's a sunk cost, so you might as well go play. I can't bring myself to admit the number of rounds I've played this year, but it was far and away the most golf I've ever played.
Very true. Having a membership changes things. When the weather is nice you feel a sense of duty/obligation to get out there and play. It's a major reason for the tremendous number of rounds i've played this year.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:19 PM   #3434
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
A buddy and I played Speargrass today. The course was in excellent condition for this time of year. The greens were really making it hard to lag balls close to the holes.

Best part is we finished in 3 1/2 hours.

Booked a time for next week.
Speargrass is such an excellent course. It is one of my favorites in the Calgary area but I just don't get to play it as often as I would like because of the location. Living in the NW makes it a long drive out there.

The availability of golf in the NW is one of the major downfalls to living up here. We really don't have many public options. There is Valley Ridge and Lynx Ridge and Confederation. We also now have Bearspaw assuming it stays open to the public plus Glen Eagles, Springbank and Mickelson (assuming that stays open to the public) which are short drives.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #3435
formulate
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
About half of my rounds this year were at River's Edge. It can give you a challenge for sure, but there is nothing there that I think is too hard. The front nine is pretty open but they use water and high fescue well to force you to keep it straight. Part of the back nine drops down by the river and it is tight with lots of trees. If you don't have your game sorted by then, it's trouble. Nine is an island green which is always fun to hit at. The one major con is it can get windy there from time to time.

I think it's really good value and its only about 25 minutes from me so it's not an outrageous drive to get that value.
Thanks for this. About a 35 minute drive from my place but I work further south so would be a nice quick drive down for weekday evening rounds. I’ll definitely be considering this option!!
Old 10-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #3436
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Priddis is $30k through the club. You can get a better deal on kijiji though, and it's fantastic. When you look into this, I would be careful with the bookings and how that's structured though. I've heard a few stories about the practices of clubs and it's concerning. Some of them seem to have gone out of their way to protect the bookings of "guys who have done this for years" and newer, younger members basically get shafted. Things like not allowing couples before certain times on weekends, or only letting certain classes of members book at certain times or having first crack at tee times. Definitely make sure that you're not getting whacked with anything like that (at least in my opinion).

*cough Inglewood
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:12 PM   #3437
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Any recommendations on more affordable non-equity memberships? My wife and I are looking to make the jump from 15-20 rounds per year up to 30+ so a membership could make the most sense. We are both 28 so could qualify for some 'young professional' type memberships. Thanks!
As much as people hate windmill, I'd seriously consider the "southern swing" young professional membership with playgolf calgary. Their courses are Heatherglen, GlenEagles, Serenity and Bluedevil.

For this membership they ditched Glen Eagles and give you the three "south" courses for $1800 for the year. Screaming deal for three courses, imo. The thing that has held me back from a golf membership is the old paying for a membership and then your buddies don't want to play at your course every week so you up end spending another $1500 on other rounds on top of your membership.

This one alleviates that a bit so your friends don't get single course fatigue from golfing with you. (young professional got raised from 30 to 35 years old this season).

Last edited by jayswin; 10-07-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:24 PM   #3438
formulate
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
As much as people hate windmill, I'd seriously consider the "southern swing" young professional membership with playgolf calgary. Their courses are Heatherglen, GlenEagles, Serenity and Bluedevil.

For this membership they ditched Glen Eagles and give you the three "south" courses for $1800 for the year. Screaming deal for three courses, imo. The thing that has held me back from a golf membership is the old paying for a membership and then your buddies don't want to play at your course every week so you up end spending another $1500 on other rounds on top of your membership.

This one alleviates that a bit so your friends don't get single course fatigue from golfing with you. (young professional got raised from 30 to 35 years old this season).
Thanks, I’ll have to contact them for more info. I looked at Play Golf Calgary but didn’t see the intermediate rates on their site and thought the standard rates were a bit steep. $1800 for 3 courses (72 holes total) is fantastic.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:57 AM   #3439
jayswin

Exp:

Phone Blue Devil for that one, I believe. Unless they removed it for next year due to all the money they're making this year with covid, which I could totally see that group doing. But a coworker definitely had it this season and last.

Last edited by jayswin; 10-08-2020 at 05:00 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:05 AM   #3440
jayswin

Exp:

I mean I had the 50 for 50 card that was quite popular (you get the card and then a calendar with dates during the week all summer that are 50% off green fees for you and your group). They totally kicked us to the curb this year after everyone already had them.

They unceremoniously changed it from a calendar that you can follow and plan out rounds with friends to "yeah, we'll email next weeks days on saturday...okay it's saturday and here's one day at one course on monday and since it's saturday there's only two tee times left for everyone that has a card.

Like whatever, they can do that and they chose to maximize revenue ( I do get it), but personally when things return to normal and they reach out for support on their slower days I'll straight up tell them that they chose to brush us aside and now I'm avoiding your courses and will seek other options on slow days.

Last edited by jayswin; 10-08-2020 at 05:08 AM.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow