Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #61
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who has done Mt. Temple? I have read mixed reviews of it being a hard, but otherwise non-technical scramble, and some say you should bring ice axes, crampons, helmet, etc.

Can it be done safely without the extra equipment, and just the necessities like water, food, extra layers.

Anything to watch out for?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #62
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I've never even heard of it, had to look it up (bookmarked a page to do some more reading about it). When I was googling, I found these guys at another board talking about it - sounds like some of it was washed out, plus a landslide?
Landslide Lake is another branch of the trail. If the bridges are washed out, it would definitely mean getting your feet wet. In general, it's pretty easy as a 3 day hike and just more distance as an overnight. Route finding is pretty easy if the trail is "non-existent" as the first post there says. Pretty major handrails and backstops. Just follow the river until you hit the confluence and hang a left.

I recommend this book for anyone planning to hike in that area: http://www.amazon.ca/The-David-Thomp.../dp/1897522487

Last edited by Superfraggle; 07-29-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #63
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Who has done Mt. Temple? I have read mixed reviews of it being a hard, but otherwise non-technical scramble, and some say you should bring ice axes, crampons, helmet, etc.

Can it be done safely without the extra equipment, and just the necessities like water, food, extra layers.

It is extremely busy. It is relatively easy, so it attracts all kinds, including those that kick loose boulders and scree without a second thought. A helmet is a must here, in my opinion.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #64
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post

I did the scramble last year. We brought ice axes and microspikes in case there was any snow on the route, but it was dry so they weren't needed. You'd have to check on current conditions to be sure, but they are nice things to have just in case. Like Flacker said, a helmet is extremely important, lots of loose rocks get kicked down on that route. Starting out very early would be a good idea too.

The technical sections aren't terribly difficult, there is one small rock step where you'll have to make some moves up a chimney, but it is very easy if you're confident. There are some fixed bolts above the step if you want to belay anybody from your party, but again it shouldn't be necessary unless they are very uneasy.

The approach trail has a minimum party size of 4 due to grizzly activity in the area. Supposedly you can get fined if you hike it with less than that, but it's a popular area so you can probably hook up with another group if you are less than 4.
RatherDashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #65
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was hoping to do Landslide Lake in September, I have done it a few times and its a great hike - the only challenging part is the last bit of switchbacks which has been badly eroded by horse traffic IMO.

If the bridges are out it would make it a much more interesting hike as you cross the creek a few times.

If its in good condition you can easily make it to Landslide in a day with pack or there and back on a day hike. Last time there were no dry toilets so its a bit more rustic than some of the campsites in the national parks.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #66
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Does anyone have any experience with Black Diamond multi day packs? Rate them?
Old 07-31-2013, 05:04 PM   #67
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Does anyone have any experience with Black Diamond multi day packs? Rate them?
Their cheese is quite tasty.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #68
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm thinking about trying Nihahi Ridge by myself tomorrow. I've done a bit of scrambling, nothing crazy though. I get frightened if there's any exposure. Should I attempt this? Guide book says there's a 5 m scramble.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #69
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
I'm thinking about trying Nihahi Ridge by myself tomorrow. I've done a bit of scrambling, nothing crazy though. I get frightened if there's any exposure. Should I attempt this? Guide book says there's a 5 m scramble.
I would do it. I am afraid of heights and made it to the top. I dont believe it is a fall and die scramble but on the last bit it is fall and break something. The nice thing about this hike is that you hike up a nive trail to the ridge line and then walk along the ridge towards the peak until you feel like turning around. My 4 year old hiked to the ridge last year. We just stayed on the wide portion and didnt go all the way to the top.

http://www.braggcreek.ca/kananaskis/trails/nihahi.htm

The above link has a good picture of how wide the ridge is for most of it. Its just the last bit that is a bit exposed. So as long as it wont ruin your day if you dont reach the top, do it and turn around if you get uncomfortable. This hike is worthwhile regardless.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #70
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I would do it. I am afraid of heights and made it to the top. I dont believe it is a fall and die scramble but on the last bit it is fall and break something. The nice thing about this hike is that you hike up a nive trail to the ridge line and then walk along the ridge towards the peak until you feel like turning around. My 4 year old hiked to the ridge last year. We just stayed on the wide portion and didnt go all the way to the top.

http://www.braggcreek.ca/kananaskis/trails/nihahi.htm

The above link has a good picture of how wide the ridge is for most of it. Its just the last bit that is a bit exposed. So as long as it wont ruin your day if you dont reach the top, do it and turn around if you get uncomfortable. This hike is worthwhile regardless.
Awesome! I will do it then.
I'm not too worried about the ridge, it's the climbing part that worries me. Just watched some youtube videos and it doesn't look too bad. Just have to sack up.
Any other beginner/easy scramble recommendations?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #71
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not too worried about the ridge, it's the climbing part that worries me. Just watched some youtube videos and it doesn't look too bad. Just have to sack up.
Moose Mtn is a good one, and my kid even did it when he was 5. Not a lot of scrambling until you approach the fire lookout.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:56 PM   #72
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would buy Alan Kanes Scrambles in the Canadian Rockies and start with his easy scrambles which start with almost basic hikes like Ha Ling peak and goes from there. As a note with Kanes book it makes things sound easier then they are but based on his ratings Nahani Ridge entire traverse is a moderate which means exposure which could result in serious injury but not likely death.

Last edited by GGG; 07-31-2013 at 10:00 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:09 PM   #73
StevenAbootman
Draft Pick

Quote:
I have done Yamnuska a few times and really enjoyed it, especially the way down.

Mount Allan, Wind Ridge, Indefatigable, Ha Ling, Fairview are all fairly easy with minimal exposure.

One of the nicest was Cirque Peak down the Icefields Parkway, its a bit of a slog up some scree for the last bit, but the view at the top is among the best I have seen.

Another one that I really like due to it being so close to the city is Prairie mountain. I have been up there in January with little snow and June with lots of snow. On a clear day you can see the city and you could probably do it after work and be down before sunset.
StevenAbootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #74
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yamnuska in early October is like being on acid, or so I'm told. The colours of the trees are just mind-blowing. I strongly recommend it any time of the year, but early October is amazing.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #75
GreenHardHat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I did Nahahi Ridge last year. It is an awesome hike. Most of the trail is just a steady uphill stretch with no scrambling. The last push of the hike has a short scramble section up a maybe 70 degree 4 meter wall. It was not too bad to get up. There were really good hand and foot holds and it didn't feel particularly dangerous. It took a bit of convincing to get my girlfriend up there, but she found it pretty easy once she tried it too.

However, as of July 26, I think the road out there is still closed:
http://www.albertaparks.ca/kananaski...highways).aspx

I also did Temple a few years ago. I would highly recommend a helmet as well since people do kick rocks once in a while. Make sure to check the weather before hand too. If there is rain in the area, there is likely snow on the mountain because it is so high up. There was a blizzard in September when I tried Temple and my group didn't make the summit.

Last edited by GreenHardHat; 08-01-2013 at 08:12 AM.
GreenHardHat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenHardHat For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #76
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well that sucks. I was hoping to avoid the #1.
I think I'll try Heart Mountain. Hopefully 66 opens later in August or September.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #77
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

hwy 66 should be open on August 2nd (tomorrow)
https://twitter.com/braggcreekCa/sta...441088/photo/1
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #78
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Did Heart Mountain. Had to turn back after the first summit because of lightning, then got drenched on the way down. Still a good way to spend an afternoon off.
Excellent views of Lac des Arcs and the Lafarge operation there.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #79
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone recommend a hike similar to Galatea/Lillian Lakes hike? Love the tree'd/river aspect of it and want something similar. Its about a 5hr hike with 700m elev gain.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #80
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Anyone recommend a hike similar to Galatea/Lillian Lakes hike? Love the tree'd/river aspect of it and want something similar. Its about a 5hr hike with 700m elev gain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
A complete circuit of Upper Kananaskis Lake is about 17.5 km. Not too difficult. Very scenic. Someone was mauled to death by a grizzly out in the back of it a few years ago just to spice things up. Very nice in winter - but harder.

Backside of the Upper K lake hike:

Elbow Pass (beautiful walking and about 42 km to Blue Rock west of Turner Valley)and Picklejar Lakes are inaccessible right now due to damage to Highway 40.

Chester Lake (below) in October for the Larches is wonderful. You can keep walking past the lake.

Not in the mountains per se, although not far away, you can walk about seven miles on either side of Chain Lakes. No trails. No park. Just walking. Usually there's cows either on one side or the other but not both. Stick to the non-cow side.

Cowperson

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness