Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-26-2015, 01:56 PM   #241
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Any reports as to how trails are currently looking for early season hiking? I am especially curious about Waterton, as I am hoping to hike to Crypt Lake in mid June.

I went up Lady MacDonald on the weekend and it was spectacular. No snow to be found up there.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:43 PM   #242
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you done Crypt Lake? Its awesome.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:51 PM   #243
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm no help with conditions but while you are there make sure to do Carthew/Anderson and Akima ridge. Akima ridge might actually be better than crypt lake, certainly less crowded.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:23 AM   #244
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've never been down to Waterton but will be for a few nights of camping in June. Hopefully we'll have time and get some good weather for Crypt Lake and another hike in the area.

Has anyone been out to Moose Mountain recently? I'm looking for another hike or two in Kananaskis that won't be snow covered.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 03:45 PM   #245
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone done the Skyline trail in Jasper? Going with a buddy in July and just looking for some tips.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:42 PM   #246
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Has anyone done the Skyline trail in Jasper? Going with a buddy in July and just looking for some tips.
I did as a one day death march. It's a fantastic hike. Think about where you want to camp and logistics.

From Calgary you can do a busy three day trip by diving out Friday (5hrs) hike to the first camp site at like 5k or the 2nd at 8, then the second day hike to the last or second last, then the 3rd day hike out and hitch back to malinge at the start.

If you bring bikes and want a fun downhill bike at the end stash bikes at the top and hike from the canyon up the bike back to the car. (This has 600m more elevation gain and starts the hike with boring fire road but saves a knee and quad destroying decent at the end)

Curator campground in the middle of the hike is 100m elevation off the trail so consider that if doing it as a 1 nighter.

Apparently there are a few side trips that are good but I didn't do any of them so can't comment.

It's a great hike,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2015, 07:57 PM   #247
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Curator campground in the middle of the hike is 100m elevation off the trail so consider that if doing it as a 1 nighter.
Thanks for the info. Looking at staying at Curator. Think we'll stay in Jasper the first night, hike to Curator and stay a night, finish it in 2 days.

Had a friend that did it in a day. Haha can't say that really interests me much. Doable but I'd rather enjoy the trek a bit.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #248
FlamingInfinity
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The girlfriend and I ventured up to Grassi Lakes yesterday. Great day, as we got there early enough to grab a spot, and hike before it got too busy. Trails seemed good, and as we got to the lakes, the sun was out, and the elevation gain helped keep some of the heat down. As we descended, there was a lot more traffic coming up. When we arrived back at the car, the place was pretty packed, and parking along the road was in full effect.

Looking forward to some more hikes in the next couple of months.
Giordano: He plays for the oilers, enough said.
FlamingInfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #249
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Guess it's been a while since I last updated...

Overall, conditions are amazing for spring

Here is what our family of 5 has done recently:
Prairie View/Barrier lake lookout: 12km 5.5hrs - Fantastic one that I recommend if you've not done it. Head out early as it is busy/crowded. Be prepared for 600m in elevation gain, but on a relatively gradual trail (until the fire-lookout intersection at least).

Black Prince Cirque: Bridge is washed out and decided not to ford, so instead did Grassi Lakes.

Grassi Lakes (90min): Another busy/crowded trail, but short and pleasant. Great place for first-timer.

Interlakes/Mt Everest: (3km; <90min) A pleasant hike with reasonable views at the top. Not a 'destination' type hike, but worthwhile if you are camping in the area. My 4-yr-old was able to hike this trail without being carried.

Marl Lake: (2km; <60min) Not a 'destination' hike, but since we were camping at Elkwood took the trail on the same afternoon as Interlakes above.

Prairie Mountain: (6.5km; 4.5 hours) One of my favourites and nice and close to calgary. Took the family up this yesterday and they really enjoyed it - even played a game of tag at the summit. My youngest was carried 2/3rds of the way up, but the 7 and 11yr olds were able to complete it unassisted. 685m of elevation gain (i.e. this is steep, avg grade >20%), so not the best choice for rookies although there is no scrambling or exposure.

We are off to Dinosaur Provincial Park this weekend.

~P^2

Last edited by firebug; 06-01-2015 at 03:52 PM.
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firebug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #250
steve9981
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by steve9981; 08-21-2017 at 01:04 PM.
steve9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:42 PM   #251
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9981 View Post
Does anyone know the rules/conventions when it comes to dogs and going on hikes. I am thinking of hiking up moose mountain, can I take my dogs, on leash, off leash? Any insight would be great. Thanks

You can but it could cause issues out there. The guy that stays at the top of Moose told me a few years ago that a cougar came out of nowhere and got someone's small dog and took off right near where he stays. A couple of times I have had people approach me in the parking lot stating they had lost their dogs as they took off into the trees. It is a big area so as long as you trust your dog to stay close to you and it is a bigger dog it could be ok. Other issues could be biker/dog issues as many of them don't seem to like the bear bells or other noises from bikes and known to get snarly over it. When I am out there my dog is always on a leash for sure!
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #252
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Contemplating doing the Rockwall in early August with a couple friends. Any experiences or thoughts here? Did the Chilkoot Trail in '08 and loved it.
Ruttiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:31 PM   #253
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does anyone know the rules/conventions when it comes to dogs and going on hikes. I am thinking of hiking up moose mountain, can I take my dogs, on leash, off leash? Any insight would be great. Thanks
Dogs for sure have to be on leash in the mountains. That said, I've been taking my friend's golden to the mountains for seven years and never once had either of them on leash. We go to the least popular spots on the quietest week days. He's never more than an extender leash away and always heals when people walk past. And most importantly he's trained to ignore wild life. We've bumped into bears and he just sits down and faces away. Same with deer, moose and coyotes so far. And especially sheep. We've had some great fun watching sheep. There are risks, cliffs, crevasses, predators, injuries, and lastly, the $172 ticket you might get.

Moose mountain probably isn't the best spot. Too many cyclists, people, no water, sunny, exposed, rocky. Brokeback Meadows is nice though. I can point you to some great dog spots if you want.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:45 PM   #254
gladaki
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am going to lakeminiwanka and alymer pass this weekend. One night backpacking
gladaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:04 AM   #255
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Check trailpeak for the specific hike for rules with dogs too. Some places don't allow dogs (ie caribou habitat), but most around here you should be good.

I always used a harness for my old labradoodle. Better than a leash in the mountains I found. Even if you can take him off leash I wouldn't. All sorts of things to worry about. Bears and other animals, falling off a rock band or cliff, etc.

And just a friendly reminder to pack out what you pack in. There's so many people around here that will bag up after their dogs and just toss it beside the trail, it's just brutal.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:12 PM   #256
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Check trailpeak for the specific hike for rules with dogs too. Some places don't allow dogs (ie caribou habitat), but most around here you should be good.

I always used a harness for my old labradoodle. Better than a leash in the mountains I found. Even if you can take him off leash I wouldn't. All sorts of things to worry about. Bears and other animals, falling off a rock band or cliff, etc.

And just a friendly reminder to pack out what you pack in. There's so many people around here that will bag up after their dogs and just toss it beside the trail, it's just brutal.
This behaviour has always baffled me.

It's more work then just leaving it on the ground, and worse for the environment and other people using the trails. Some french showers in Fish Creek will even take the time to tie the bag of **** to a branch. Like a trophy.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2015, 03:15 PM   #257
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know any good <4 hour hikes around Canmore? Heading there tonight with the GF, just looking for a light hike tomorrow as we have to come back early ish and don't wanna get up early tomorrow haha.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:17 PM   #258
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they do it becuase they don't want to take it with them. Dog poops in first 5 minutes. Hang it from a tree so you can see it on the way back, then forget. People who do it should be forced to sit in a hot car full of dog feces.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #259
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Anyone know any good <4 hour hikes around Canmore? Heading there tonight with the GF, just looking for a light hike tomorrow as we have to come back early ish and don't wanna get up early tomorrow haha.
If you don't mind driving 45 minutes up the spray lake road most definitely do Rummel lake. 5 kms and very pretty this time of year.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #260
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Contemplating doing the Rockwall in early August with a couple friends. Any experiences or thoughts here? Did the Chilkoot Trail in '08 and loved it.
Rockwell is good but very up and down.

Plan to camp at flow lake, numb creek is dumpy, the next one is good and so is helmet falls. We did it in 3 days which was tough camping at nuns creek, and helmet falls.

I think a much better trip would be helmet falls, day 2 add in good sir towers which I didn't do and go just one campground. Then day 3 hike to flow lake, and day 4 out. On day 4 you can be done by lunch and on day 1 the 20k in is pancake flat so you could leave calgary at lunchtime and hike to helmet before dark.

One other option would be to camp day 2 at the top of wolverine pass hiking outside of the park to camp about 1k off trail

Fantastic though, bring poles.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness