Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2022, 08:41 PM   #61
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

honestly, it would be a really good movie to watch on edibles.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:31 PM   #62
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if the VIP attendees/ushers would want to deal with that situation
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 07:36 AM   #63
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I don't know if the VIP attendees/ushers would want to deal with that situation
People being stoned at a movie theatre? Yes, I'm sure this is the first movie in history people showed up high for.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2022, 11:04 AM   #64
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
People being stoned at a movie theatre? Yes, I'm sure this is the first movie in history people showed up high for.
stoned people go to see raunch coms, not usually a 3 hour movie with cutting edge visuals tech in 3D and 60 fps

would be a fun trip, but even my friend and I would probably be annoying if we did this one under the influence

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 12-17-2022 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-17-2022, 12:11 PM   #65
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
stoned people go to see raunch coms, not usually a 3 hour movie with cutting edge visuals tech in 3D and 60 fps

would be a fun trip, but even my friend and I would probably be annoying if we did this one under the influence
If you can’t handle a 3 hour movie after taking some edibles, you probably shouldn’t be taking edibles in the first place.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2022, 12:17 PM   #66
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Angry sarcastic reviews are the best reviews. I love it when critics act like it was a personal insult that they got paid to sit through a movie they didn’t like. As if it’s an affront to their individual freedoms.
I think anytime a movie review includes a reference to the band Yes it’s a win for society.
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2022, 12:17 PM   #67
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

A 3 hour movie after edibles would feel like you’re watching it for 3 weeks.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 12:28 PM   #68
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Lol. It’s weed, not 4 tabs of LSD.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2022, 12:32 PM   #69
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

It’s weed, not psychedelics. 95% of people who take an edible and watch a movie are going to be the quietest people in the theatre just enjoying the show.

Stoned people might be associated with raunch coms in the movies you watch, but in reality Avatar or a good concert are probably the best use case for an edible. You don’t “trip” on weed.

Though as OutOfTheCube said, 3 hours could put you in burnout territory by the end. It’d be a slog.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 03:58 PM   #70
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You had me at "my friend and I would probably be annoying"
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 06:35 PM   #71
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

(spoiler free)

so the visuals were lovely

still some shots that looked a bit too "smoothed" out that took me out of it but others were very impressive

apparently most of these 13 years have just been James Cameron in post production working on this and the upcoming sequels as the shooting was actually done some time ago. and you can tell .. the vfx is immaculate for much of it, but in particular around the water

pretty simple story, but it hits at times

presses a lot of the same emotional buttons as the first, in fact I think the score was practically recycled

action was surprisingly really great. I think it had better action than a lot of other films that are considered action genre .. the blue people can really kick ass

it felt almost as if JC rounded up a scuba diving crew off the coast of Australia to play the human bad guys, which was pretty goofy .. way more entertaining than the stereotypical marines of the last film .. i mean they're wearing graphic tees and yelling "bugger"at the alien creatures which provided some laughs

eventually you begin to be able to visually distinguish the characters, it takes a while to pick out their subtle differences though, as the only real difference is hair styles and freckles .. the siblings also have inexplicably different accents which was strange ..?

I think the biggest gripe was with the dialogue .. it's not...great...

I kept imagining Cameron sitting and greenlighting some of the lines in this and it's hard to imagine..

it's good, worth a watch.. but no desire to re-watch because of the length, just like the last one
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2022, 06:44 PM   #72
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
If you can’t handle a 3 hour movie after taking some edibles, you probably shouldn’t be taking edibles in the first place.
surprise! I'm not an indulger of weed or edibles so you're absolutely correct

which is why I laughed at the notion of doing it for avatar 2 and that the ushers probably wouldn't want to deal with that

so weird how people take that as an opportunity to throw shade or be condescending lol .. what a miserable place this can be
Old 12-17-2022, 08:58 PM   #73
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

which is why I laughed at the notion of doing it for avatar 2 and that the ushers probably wouldn't want to deal with that

so weird how people take that as an opportunity to throw shade or be condescending lol .. what a miserable place this can be
Yeah, it gets so bad around here it makes some people throw a fit and quit. Usually just for a few hours though.

It’s honestly a pretty funny thing to see. Hope you’ll get to witness one.

If you do watch Avatar 2 again, have an edible and see what you think. Might enjoy the parts of it you liked even more.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 10:26 PM   #74
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

It was everything I expected from a James Cameron sequel. My only regret is that I didn't take more mushrooms. Holy #### this movie would have been an 11/10 if I'd doubled my dose.

The most technically impressive and visually stunning movie ever made. The 3D is phenomenal and the visual effects are mesmerizing. This movie will drive people to the theatre and even encourage multiple views, just like the original. The only other movie I've ever heard multiple people coming out the theatre and heard people saying "wow" was the original avatar and this one looked twice as good. I honestly think it's about equal in terms of a move forward compared to the original, as the original was compared to other movies when it re-introduced 3D to moviegoers.

Much of the story is recycled and we're gonna get even more the next movie. Cameron is going to need to do something fresh because yet another movie of the exact same thing will get a bit too derivative. The visuals can only improve so much and carry the movie so far.

Action was great, story a bit melodramatic but does a great job at pulling you and putting you on the side of the blue guys. It could double as a 3 hour long nature documentary for an alien planet and it would still be fun. It's just so visually stunning.

There were a few non-sensical bits and I rolled my eyes at least twice. Plus if it weren't in 3D and on the big screen, there are definitely a few scenes that would really drag.

Overall I think I might have liked it better than the first one. I'd kind of forgotten what it is like to go to a theatre and just be completely wowed. Doesn't happen often. I've seen other fun movies (top gun) or movies that had me practically cheering (IW) but rarely does a film leave me completely in awe of the visual spectacle.

The haters...OMG they're gonna hate this movie so much. Anyone who's into BDSM will no doubt have to see it multiple times and will be jerking off the entire time they'll be in so much pain/ecstasy. We may hear about multiple deaths from people having brain aneurysms from raging so hard. Everything that people hated about the first movie, cameron turned it up to eleven in this one.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-17-2022 at 10:34 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2022, 08:26 AM   #75
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I forgot to mention. The spider kid, the general’s son, was terrible. Like hilariously bad acting. There were a couple scenes where I straight up laughed at his performance. I know it’s not exactly a Tarantino script or anything but good lord James, he was the best actor you could find?
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2022, 03:05 PM   #76
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

In that case it seems a little odd to me that you would make a comment about how something “would be a fun trip” if you don’t indulge in that sort of thing to begin with.

Quote:
Who threw shade or was condescending towards you?
Old 12-19-2022, 09:24 PM   #77
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This movie is damn impressive.

I wasn't looking forward to or excited to see it but remembered that for the mere price of a ticket I could enjoy what one of our best directors could do with hundreds of millions of dollars. The story is straightforward and at times very obvious, but I can't complain when at the same time I'll talk crap about Star Wars and is convoluted nonsense. The only thing that took me out of it at times was marveling at the visuals and wondering how they hell they did that.

Enjoyed it much more than I expected, will likely hit it in the theaters once more before it's run is over.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 12:06 AM   #78
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked it quite a bit. Was looking forward to Kate Winslet but had to research which character she was when the movie was over. Unrecognizable.

First time in this type of theatre, where during portions of the film it was also projected on the side walls of the theatre so you could see the action in 270 degrees. I had no idea this was a thing until the movie started. It was pretty cool.

Felt unnecessarily long to be sure, and it was shades of Titanic in some scenes, but a great experience.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 12:17 AM   #79
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The visuals were stunning. Probably the best-looking movie I've ever seen. But it was probably twice as long as it needed to be ... as an experience, pretty cool, but part of it felt like more of an extended demo reel than a story.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 05:36 AM   #80
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The visuals were stunning. Probably the best-looking movie I've ever seen. But it was probably twice as long as it needed to be ... as an experience, pretty cool, but part of it felt like more of an extended demo reel than a story.
It's like 50% gratuitous violence and 50% aquarium screensaver.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post: