Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2022, 11:26 AM   #21
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

you will know which people don't like avatar because they will tell you
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2022, 11:49 AM   #22
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
you will know which people don't like avatar because they will tell you
At this rate I expect to see them protesting outside the theatre like the anti vaxxers in Inglewood.

And people says it’s bland and forgettable. I have never, in all my years and including for Star Wars, seen people get this emotional about a supposedly meaningless film franchise.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 12:34 PM   #23
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With all the delays of the Avatar sequels, part of me still doesn't believe it is actually coming out this week. You show up to the movie and they are like, yeah, sorry it's not ready, maybe next year or the year after, but we are doing like four more or something, so yeah.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2022, 12:39 PM   #24
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

the first one was so bloody awful, a story a three year old could have written and acting barely worthy of a low budget kung fu movie I doubt I'll bother watching it
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 12:41 PM   #25
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
At this rate I expect to see them protesting outside the theatre like the anti vaxxers in Inglewood.

And people says it’s bland and forgettable. I have never, in all my years and including for Star Wars, seen people get this emotional about a supposedly meaningless film franchise.
I don't know that anyone is overly emotional. It is a 13 year in waiting for the biggest box office movie of all time, so there is going to be some conversation and predictions about how it does comparatively.

There is also a bit of a curiosity given that very few people seem to actually be fans of Avatar compared to the big franchises like Star Wars and Marvel.

If it turns out to be a good movie and more than just an effects fest, then I hope it all the success in the world. If it is just an effects fest with a blah story, then Cameron is going to look a little self indulgent for needing to spend 13 years and so many resources into a 3 hour film that no one really wanted.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 12:44 PM   #26
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean it will be one of the highest grossing movies of all time...somebody wants it

Movies like this are why theaters exist and its been a while since we had one
Old 12-14-2022, 12:58 PM   #27
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will give it one thing, it's a kids movie that embraces being a kids film, none of the 'dark backstory' masquerading as an adult drama guff
Old 12-14-2022, 01:01 PM   #28
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I don't know that anyone is overly emotional. It is a 13 year in waiting for the biggest box office movie of all time, so there is going to be some conversation and predictions about how it does comparatively.

There is also a bit of a curiosity given that very few people seem to actually be fans of Avatar compared to the big franchises like Star Wars and Marvel.

If it turns out to be a good movie and more than just an effects fest, then I hope it all the success in the world. If it is just an effects fest with a blah story, then Cameron is going to look a little self indulgent for needing to spend 13 years and so many resources into a 3 hour film that no one really wanted.
Nah. If it was just box office talk, sure, but it isn’t. People hate this movie like it killed their dog or something.

Like I said, weird for a movie no one cares about or remembers to be the subject of so much disdain.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 02:15 PM   #29
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nah. If it was just box office talk, sure, but it isn’t. People hate this movie like it killed their dog or something.

Like I said, weird for a movie no one cares about or remembers to be the subject of so much disdain.
Probably a lot of people not wanting to be bandwagon jumpers. "Oh, look a new shiny thing! I think I'll check it out.... oh, wait, EVERYBODY wants to check it out? It must be terrible. I won't be caught dead checking it out."

That was me with Harry Potter. I was probably right though.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 03:18 PM   #30
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw the original in the theaters on release and enjoyed it but years later I watched it on video and didn't even make it halfway through. Still I will probably go see this over the holidays if only because my kid and wife will probably like it. I'm not expecting a masterpiece but assume it's going to be moderately entertaining with great visuals and not totally horrible like the last Jurassic Park.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 06:14 PM   #31
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it gets to just under 2 billion. 1 billion int without China and 400 million in China.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 07:31 PM   #32
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think the thing about Avatar like most of the MCU superhero films is not that I hate them, I just get kind of weirded out that adults are so excited by them and keep telling me I miss their inherent genius, the Star Wars fanboys used to be the same but that franchise is so unarguably terrible now they've all pretty much shut up now.

These are kids shows, there is nothing wrong with that I am just tired of having some fan boy try and tell me there is some equivalence between Avatar and Lawrence of Arabia or the Seven Samurai, there just isnt.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:42 PM   #33
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What’s the best theatre to see this film in? Chinook?
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 07:46 PM   #34
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
What’s the best theatre to see this film in? Chinook?
I've got my tickets for the Cineplex VIP in Seton. Although I prioritize a glass of wine with my movie over IMAX

Going to see it at Chinook IMAX with my nephew next week though.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2022, 08:08 PM   #35
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think it gets to just under 2 billion. 1 billion int without China and 400 million in China.
Chinese people totally go for these huge blockbuster Hollywood movies. Heck, they are the reason Transformers sequels continue to be made despite being terrible. I expect China to really boost the box office performance for this movie.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:42 PM   #36
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Chinese people totally go for these huge blockbuster Hollywood movies. Heck, they are the reason Transformers sequels continue to be made despite being terrible. I expect China to really boost the box office performance for this movie.
They only have about 75% of the theatres back open but have 95% of the IMAX reopened. It will be interesting how long the government lets it leg out and if Covid blips happen to interfere with the run. It’s presales in China are tracking Fate of the furious rather than Infinity war or endgame and fate finished with 400. Though it’s unknown how much the Covid is suppressing presales.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 04:54 AM   #37
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
the first one was so bloody awful, a story a three year old could have written and acting barely worthy of a low budget kung fu movie I doubt I'll bother watching it
it wasn't "bloody awful", just not particularly original .. and for a movie with all those accolades people go in with a high bar for the writing

I think we have to question just how complex a "man encounters new race on the frontier while seeking to exploit resources of new land" plot line can be

there were a couple holes and that's an issue but the conflict and motivations made sense given the premise .. though it's bound to draw comparisons to works that came before it that share similarities

hopefully they can give it a little more intelligence to throw a bone to the modern audience that requires political chatter, detailed lore and adult themes to check the right boxes

but if it wants to lean into being a kids movie with awe inspiring cutting edge visuals I hope it does just that .. if you're raking in a couple billion then even the haters are curious enough to give it their time, so you have to be doing something right

for me I just don't find the Na'vi particularly interesting .. but I would love to explore their world more so I hope this does that
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:50 AM   #38
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
it wasn't "bloody awful", just not particularly original .. and for a movie with all those accolades people go in with a high bar for the writing

I think we have to question just how complex a "man encounters new race on the frontier while seeking to exploit resources of new land" plot line can be

there were a couple holes and that's an issue but the conflict and motivations made sense given the premise .. though it's bound to draw comparisons to works that came before it that share similarities

hopefully they can give it a little more intelligence to throw a bone to the modern audience that requires political chatter, detailed lore and adult themes to check the right boxes

but if it wants to lean into being a kids movie with awe inspiring cutting edge visuals I hope it does just that .. if you're raking in a couple billion then even the haters are curious enough to give it their time, so you have to be doing something right

for me I just don't find the Na'vi particularly interesting .. but I would love to explore their world more so I hope this does that
come on, it wasn't just unoriginal it was absurd, from naming the mineral 'unobtanium' (I mean at least give it a throw away line like 'the scientists call this plutouranium 789 but its so bloody rare we call it 'unobtanium' for short) to the absurdly one dimensional character's, the evil military guy, the good scientists etc, why's he evil? is it in any way likely some futuristic colonisation any of this would be allowed? if you want to draw the parallel between the history of manifest destiny and the wests resource exploitation fair enough but the lazy shallow plotline that nothing is different in the future, there isnt even the slightest nod to time and attitudes changing and an increasingly complex and morally grey future maybe being likely.

The story, the character's even the language was about as shallow as an episode of Flash Gordon from the 1930's, Cameron spent years working on the technology of the film and at most a weekend on writing the script
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2022, 11:18 AM   #39
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Avatar was the biggest movie ever?

That's news to me.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 11:20 AM   #40
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I was thinking of re watching the original then going to see this one.. but I just can't motivate myself to watch a movie that long.

Then I saw how long this one was.. and I lost all interest.

I like this instead:

Last edited by GreenLantern; 12-15-2022 at 11:22 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post: