Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2021, 07:44 PM   #1
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default You can now have a beer with your taquitos at this north Edmonton 7-Eleven

You can now have a beer with your taquitos at this north Edmonton 7-Eleven:

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/you-can-...even-1.5696206
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:44 PM   #2
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

'Slippery slope': Alberta liquor store group worries more convenience stores will follow Edmonton 7-Eleven's booze model

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...ns-booze-model
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:53 PM   #3
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I can see it maybe being a pain for employees who now have to keep an eye on some drunks inside the store, but as for selling it to go in the store I don't see an issue. I think you should be able to purchase it at any convenient store or grocery store that wants to sell it.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 07:56 PM   #4
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
'Slippery slope': Alberta liquor store group worries more convenience stores will follow Edmonton 7-Eleven's booze model

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...ns-booze-model
That was the most Helen Lovejoy won’t someone think of the children pearl clutching BS article I’ve ever read.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 07:58 PM   #5
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just let them sell liquor instead of this dumb lounge BS. Our liquor laws are so outdated
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:34 PM   #6
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what the carbon footprint of all of our separate liquor stores is?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:11 PM   #7
Roger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Contrary to claims made in the recent 'NZ banning cigarettes to new "of age" smokers', alcohol is not the scourge of humanity. While it is responsible for the actions of some, many people enjoy it responsibly. Try travelling outside of North America and you will see that it can be sold in any old corner store, and yet somehow, there aren't drunken a-holes beating their wives and crashing their cars into innocent victims every two blocks.

I know it is very difficult for some to comprehend, but it's true.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:24 PM   #8
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I can see it maybe being a pain for employees who now have to keep an eye on some drunks inside the store, but as for selling it to go in the store I don't see an issue. I think you should be able to purchase it at any convenient store or grocery store that wants to sell it.
I feel like this is something they regularly deal with currently, right or wrong
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 09:32 PM   #9
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see this being very widespread, simply because the industry is not set up for the logistics of delivering to small vendors. Most of the large grocery chains have a separate liquor store attached or near their food stores already. A chain like 7-11 could attempt it, by ordering to a central location and then directing the product out via their own delivery.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:51 AM   #10
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Contrary to claims made in the recent 'NZ banning cigarettes to new "of age" smokers', alcohol is not the scourge of humanity. While it is responsible for the actions of some, many people enjoy it responsibly. Try travelling outside of North America and you will see that it can be sold in any old corner store, and yet somehow, there aren't drunken a-holes beating their wives and crashing their cars into innocent victims every two blocks.

In the USA you can buy liquor almost everywhere. In Quebec you can buy beer at convenience stores. It's not North America with the problem. It's specifically Canada, and anglo Canada with the issues.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 06:08 AM   #11
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I feel like this is something they regularly deal with currently, right or wrong
They do...oh, do they ever.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:03 AM   #12
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I don't see this being very widespread, simply because the industry is not set up for the logistics of delivering to small vendors. Most of the large grocery chains have a separate liquor store attached or near their food stores already. A chain like 7-11 could attempt it, by ordering to a central location and then directing the product out via their own delivery.
Nope. Convenience stores successfully sell booze everywhere it is allowed. The only reason the grocery stores are separate is legal - they have to be separate. If it was allowed all the grocers would have a liquor aisle (as they do everywhere that is legal).

A distribution apparatus would spring up instantly to service that demand. The objectors in the article are correct about one thing though - that would hurt existing liquor stores quite a bit.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:24 AM   #13
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post

LMAO ok Roger.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 10:03 AM   #14
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

They set up the 7-11 as a restaurant, which is licensed. And then they allowed sales through the 'restaurant' but shelving in the convenience store, and purchases for the restaurant and store both through the same till.

It honestly not like it's hard for an adult to find booze. This was put in place to make it easier for kids to access it, and alcoholics who would be kicked out of a regular liquor store. If this becomes widespread, enforcement is out the window.

I've always advocated alcohol consumption as a social exercise, or as self regulating stress relief. The best way to curb abuse amongst casual drinkers is to make the experience about the pleasure of consumption and not the pleasure of drug taking. Quality of product, control of the environment and interaction with the seller plays a big part in safe consumption.

Putting cheap product in a crappy looking store with an uneducated staff is just a way to sell a drug to the population, and keep them pliable.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #15
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a step in the right direction.

I should be able to walk down the street with a beer as long as I am not a drunk #######.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 10:19 AM   #16
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I'm torn on this. I see the need and logic for the general population with access to beer and liquor at convenience stores (much like the US). However, depending on how accessible this is in the store - and in the future, which stores will offer it in certain parts of town (I'm thinking of an Edmonton context), I can see this causing some issues. But those issues are micro vs. the larger vision of the whole thing.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:49 AM   #17
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
This is a step in the right direction.

I should be able to walk down the street with a beer as long as I am not a drunk #######.
It's really just poor logic and puritanism that leads to a law against an adult walking down the street with an alcoholic beverage.

Firstly, that law doesn't address what it's meant to address, which is belligerent drunks in public. The vast majority of people in that state are just going to chug booze somewhere else or have the boozed mixed into another container.

The only reason to ban consumption in public is to hide drinking from the public, which is totally bizarre as you can do that openly at a table in a public restaurant.

BC has now allowed public drinking in parks and designated drinking zones....it's created zero new issues with drunkenness....it's still illegal to walk to a the park from your car with a beer in hand...or walk between designated areas though....
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:55 AM   #18
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I remember just a few years ago some hilariously ridiculous ads against this idea. Older guy behind the till, winking at some clearly underage kids who are buying alcohol at a convenience store. Like the fines for doing so aren’t the same for liquid store employees.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 12:01 PM   #19
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
In the USA you can buy liquor almost everywhere. In Quebec you can buy beer at convenience stores. It's not North America with the problem. It's specifically Canada, and anglo Canada with the issues.
It has a lot to do with the social reform movement and prohibition. It's been a hundred years but the footprint is still there with respect to how liquor laws operate.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 12:45 PM   #20
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

To be honest I'd be down for having a cooler behind counter - much like cigarettes, except visible. The clerk can get it for you. You don't go to 7/11 to have a bombastic shopping experience; you get your tall boy or six-pack for a quick run. This really wouldn't be much different from the Beer Store in Ontario (or even from a snack shop on a golf course either), and it would probably cut down on a lot of theft and general disorder too.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote