Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2021, 01:50 PM   #41
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Just went through this. My car was dented while parked on a residential street. The other driver was cooperative and left his phone number. He wanted me to consider dealing with it privately, but I have decided to go through insurance.

You have to get a police sticker if damages will be more than $2000.

The assessment for repairs was approved. As they were still investigating liability, there was a $500 deductible. Then they determined I had 0% liability, and the deductible is now waived.

It has been difficult to get my agent to reply to messages. I think the other downside is that there is now a public record my vehicle was damaged if I go to resell it.
No one cares about a minor fender bender. It's when the car gets rebuilt status that eyebrows get raised, but with the way things are right now no one cares about that either.
Old 08-31-2021, 02:09 PM   #42
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were just rear ended in a hit and run by a stolen vehicle and our van was written off it had over 20k damage without airbags going off , so we have had to solely deal with our insurance through this ordeal they marked it a 0 percent at fault accident so I am hoping my insurance rates don't go up not that it matters we can't afford to replace it anyways

Last edited by Robo; 08-31-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:40 PM   #43
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone repeat after me. Insurance rates do not go up after a not at fault loss. At least not as a result of the loss.

Insurers sure have been increasing their rates so if your rates do go up after a loss, odds are it was happening anyways and not as a result of your not at fault loss. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who is paying the exact same rate they were 2 or 3 years ago.

Even if you do have an at fault loss, your rates may still not go up. Most insurers offer a claims waiver when you reach their top driving record. You do have to pay for it and it should be added automatically when you qualify but worth checking to make sure.

Where you do need to be careful is submitting a series of not at fault losses frequently. This may result in them increasing your deductible but a rate increase, no.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 08-31-2021 at 02:44 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 07:40 PM   #44
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

I have had someone rear-end my car while it was parked. They kindly left a note with their phone number. I got an estimate, phoned to let them know the amount, and they immediately transferred me that amount by email.

Would do again.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:44 PM   #45
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Parking lots are fun. When I had an incident in a parking lot they (insurance) said it wasn’t as clear as a road and that without an independent witness it would be 50/50 fault even though the other driver was in the wrong. I would try to avoid insurance. Suggest getting a quote for the damage and send it to the other driver. When a car backed into mine (diff incident) the other driver just paid out of pocket for the quote I got

Try to avoid insurance but if the other driver flakes then involve insurance
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:15 PM   #46
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
I have had someone rear-end my car while it was parked. They kindly left a note with their phone number. I got an estimate, phoned to let them know the amount, and they immediately transferred me that amount by email.

Would do again.
This. I would give somebody the opportunity to do this 100 times out of 100.

Come on folks, we are all in this together.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 09:17 PM   #47
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
This. I would give somebody the opportunity to do this 100 times out of 100.

Come on folks, we are all in this together.
95% of people are going to ask for multiple estimates and then duck around when it comes to paying or getting money. You pay for Insurance for a reason.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:51 PM   #48
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
95% of people are going to ask for multiple estimates and then duck around when it comes to paying or getting money. You pay for Insurance for a reason.
That's not why I pay for insurance and I disagree with your assessment of 95% of people. Are you saying that's what you would do?
Old 08-31-2021, 09:58 PM   #49
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's not why I pay for insurance and I disagree with your assessment of 95% of people. Are you saying that's what you would do?
I’ve never been in an accident (knock on wood) but my wife and family have had nothing but problems when they try and do a cash deal.

Id maybe go to my place of choice get an estimate and give them the cost. But the minute there is any question or feet dragging I’d go to insurance. Hard to say.

Also if it’s even remotely serious it’s going to insurance.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:11 PM   #50
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think if you are in a minor fender bender and the party at fault offers to pay reasonable compensation on the spot, it is reasonable to listen. This is more common when the vehicles are older and repairing a small dent may be worth more than the car.

Of course, 1/2 of CP is the 1% and has supercars, but fixing a dent in a Buick is a lot easier than a Bently.

It’s not a “get a quote and sent me a bill negotiation”, it’s a “pay me $3,000 right now” negotiation. How much is an at fault accident worth? I would say close to that and would pay 3k to keep my record clean.

Maybe someone who knows can comment on what an at fault accident costs in higher insurance rates.

Last edited by Reggie28; 08-31-2021 at 10:24 PM.
Reggie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:12 PM   #51
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Experience has taught me it's exceedingly rare people actually follow through on their offer to pay for damages themselves to keep their insurers out of it.

I mean there's nothing wrong with entertaining the offer, it's just not likely going to happen.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 08-31-2021 at 10:15 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:12 PM   #52
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I’ve never been in an accident (knock on wood) but my wife and family have had nothing but problems when they try and do a cash deal.

Id maybe go to my place of choice get an estimate and give them the cost. But the minute there is any question or feet dragging I’d go to insurance. Hard to say.

Also if it’s even remotely serious it’s going to insurance.
Sure. I will give someone the chance but if they don't offer to pay for it then not much of a decision to make.

That's what I'd hope someone would do for me if I damaged their car.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 10:43 PM   #53
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was rear ended by Miss Teen Calgary. We settled without insurance.
Old 08-31-2021, 10:44 PM   #54
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

PS. Her dad owned an autobody shop.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:32 AM   #55
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post
I was rear ended by Miss Teen Calgary. We settled without insurance.
I think I saw this on the internet...
Old 09-01-2021, 09:41 AM   #56
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post
I think if you are in a minor fender bender and the party at fault offers to pay reasonable compensation on the spot, it is reasonable to listen. This is more common when the vehicles are older and repairing a small dent may be worth more than the car.

Of course, 1/2 of CP is the 1% and has supercars, but fixing a dent in a Buick is a lot easier than a Bently.

It’s not a “get a quote and sent me a bill negotiation”, it’s a “pay me $3,000 right now” negotiation. How much is an at fault accident worth? I would say close to that and would pay 3k to keep my record clean.

Maybe someone who knows can comment on what an at fault accident costs in higher insurance rates.
That is absolutely a crazy stance to take - unless you're getting in accidents on a weekly basis, why on earth would you shell out $3K to keep your record clean?

A minor accident like that, probably won't impact your premiums, even if they did it *might* be to the tune of a few 10's of dollars a year or at worst a couple hundred. You are most definitely not coming out ahead on a $3K private payout, unless you are an already terrible driver with a bad rating.
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:46 AM   #57
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post

Would do again.
Man I wish more people were like that.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:51 AM   #58
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I had a very minor fender bender in a parking lot last year and left a note. The guy was so thankful that I was honest that he refused any payment!

What made it kind of crazy was that he had just sold the vehicle like two days earlier and had to let the lady know that he sold it to. It was just a scratch right around the rear driver's bumper and I guess the lady didn't care enough to renegotiate the price.

Worked out in the end. My car ended up with the most damage but only cost a few hundred to fix.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:45 PM   #59
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since this thread got bumped I'll update as the OP. My wife got a quote from a body shop that was recommended by a co-worker. The other party paid the shop directly (prior to them starting to work on the vehicle). The cost was probably only slightly in excess of their deductible. There was a bit of a language barrier getting it sorted out, but not unreasonably so. It was probably more hassle than doing it through insurance but not dramatically more. Obviously YMMV.

Our insurance rates went up anyway.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote