Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2024, 04:48 PM   #1241
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Great idea, I should have asked for dumb#### Theo to be cancelled in my email to ASET, unfortunately I was solely focused on asking how in the blazing hell they thought that was a great move and if they were aware how insane he is.

The very idea of this loon being connected to any group with "science" in its title is offensive to me. He's already earned $41 million+ during his career, he can accept his fee to be a keynote speaker at a conspiracy nutjob event or any trucker convey protest he wants.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 05:11 PM   #1242
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Great idea, I should have asked for dumb#### Theo to be cancelled in my email to ASET, unfortunately I was solely focused on asking how in the blazing hell they thought that was a great move and if they were aware how insane he is.

The very idea of this loon being connected to any group with "science" in its title is offensive to me. He's already earned $41 million+ during his career, he can accept his fee to be a keynote speaker at a conspiracy nutjob event or any trucker convey protest he wants.
It’s also wild to invite someone so out there to speak about “mental health”…. Like… Theo is the one who needs to be going to the seminar himself.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 05:15 PM   #1243
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It’s also wild to invite someone so out there to speak about “mental health”…. Like… Theo is the one who needs to be going to the seminar himself.
It's interesting in that in other areas and with other people it would beneficial and applauded to have people with "lived experience" talking about a subject that impacts them but mental health and Theo is bad.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 05:28 PM   #1244
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
It's interesting in that in other areas and with other people it would beneficial and applauded to have people with "lived experience" talking about a subject that impacts them but mental health and Theo is bad.
It is, but not while the problem is happening…

It’s like having an active heroin addict come and talk about heroin addiction. You’d probably be better off inviting someone who’s kicked it, no?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 05:57 PM   #1245
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Do you have any takes that don't miss the point?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 06:13 PM   #1246
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It is, but not while the problem is happening…

It’s like having an active heroin addict come and talk about heroin addiction. You’d probably be better off inviting someone who’s kicked it, no?
Actually in this analogy the heroine addict may have a better impact on the audience on how difficult and destructive the drug was

Theo actually is a great spokesperson for mental health - it shows the effect trauma , misinformation , etc has on someone .

However at a Science convention it is a very weird choice
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:00 PM   #1247
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Actually in this analogy the heroine addict may have a better impact on the audience on how difficult and destructive the drug was

Theo actually is a great spokesperson for mental health - it shows the effect trauma , misinformation , etc has on someone .

However at a Science convention it is a very weird choice
It's like hiring a heroin addict who loves being a heroin addict and suggests everyone should try it.

I don't want to "cancel" Theo but I do agree that any kind of organization that deals in science should be shamed for hiring him.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:09 PM   #1248
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferarri View Post
"ASET...The Association of Science."

Selects guest speaker who dismisses any type of credible Scientific research....
Remember the Friends of Science?

https://friendsofscience.org/

Science needs a restraining order.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 08:50 PM   #1249
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My business associate is a huge hockey fan. He spent a couple of hours talking with Fleury about setting him as keynote speaker for a proposed conference we were considering. Most of that they discussed hockey; my associate played. I told him I’d not take part or endorse a conference with Fleury. I told him of Theo’s extreme (stupid) theories. I mentioned sone of Theo’s tweets. My friend hates anything to do with social media. The conference never happened anyway.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:36 PM   #1250
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Remember the Friends of Science?

https://friendsofscience.org/

Science needs a restraining order.
Unnecessary. Friends of Science are coming nowhere near science.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 08:24 AM   #1251
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No response from ASET after my 2nd email.

It was quite a wacky list of behavior I sent, I'm sure they're still processing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2024, 08:27 AM   #1252
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No response from ASET after my 2nd email.

It was quite a wacky list of behavior I sent, I'm sure they're still processing.
yes.........I am sure they are

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 08:42 AM   #1253
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

My goodness. The self-righteous indignation in this thread is pretty heightened today. I am surprised any of you can type with your pearls so firmly clutched in your hands!

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 04-05-2024 at 09:22 AM.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 09:36 AM   #1254
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pushing back against nutjob conspiracies is considered self-righteous? The crap Theo spouts off about is so detached from reality that it's insane.

If that's what you think then you're just as dopey at Theo.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:02 AM   #1255
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Pushing back against nutjob conspiracies is considered self-righteous? The crap Theo spouts off about is so detached from reality that it's insane.

If that's what you think then you're just as dopey at Theo.
Is posting anonymously on a message board "pushing back"? Lol.

If the posters here that potentially would go to the ASET conference that he is speaking at really want to "push back", they will go hear him speak and then if he is spouting off his usual conspiratorial nonsense, feel free to call him out on it during the Q and A session that typically follows, or go have a direct conversation with him about it at the event.

From what it sounds like, he is there to speak only on addiction, his mental health issues and sexual abuse. Something he is actually able to speak directly on as he has significant experience with it.

I do not like Theo, or respect him very much for his political viewpoints, but that doesn't mean he can't have value talking about his experiences outside that realm.

I have been to an alumni event where he spoke, I went in expecting the absolute worst and he never brought up a single thing about his conspiratorial thoughts. I am sure they were there, but he kept it professional and his stories and experiences were worth the time.

This doesn't mean I like or respect him any more than i did before, but at least I am willing to give him a chance to speak. Silencing everyone who you don't agree with on one select topic of conversation eliminates your ability to hear anything of value on other topics. It's narrowminded and self-centered as the things you hate about him.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:05 AM   #1256
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or it's that people don't want their money they must pay for a professional organization to go towards someone who actively contributes to the en####ification of society. It's called having principles and standing up for them.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 10:17 AM   #1257
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Or it's that people don't want their money they must pay for a professional organization to go towards someone who actively contributes to the en####ification of society. It's called having principles and standing up for them.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:17 AM   #1258
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Strong counter point!
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2024, 10:18 AM   #1259
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
^Strong counter point!
It's what I literally did when I read it.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:20 AM   #1260
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yeah these speakers get 5 figures just for showing up. I think it is fine to be PO'ed if your dues are going to someone with views you vehemently reject.

Last edited by Cappy; 04-05-2024 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post: