Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2019, 11:03 AM   #3661
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincanada80 View Post
Only reason Ferland is because pending UFA and the team is a tire fire. Hurricanes can’t let him walk for free. This trade has looked bad enough already.
So?

Everyone knew Ferlands contract situation before the trade. Both NHL players we sent the Canes in the deal are now in trade rumors.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #3662
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

For the right contract I’m pretty sure Treliving would welcome Ferland with open arms. Better here than Edmonton who is scrambling for decent players. If the Canes don’t resign him maybe Winnipeg will trade for him. Brad... trade Neal and a pick for Ferly!
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:21 AM   #3663
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
For the right contract I’m pretty sure Treliving would welcome Ferland with open arms. Better here than Edmonton who is scrambling for decent players. If the Canes don’t resign him maybe Winnipeg will trade for him. Brad... trade Neal and a pick for Ferly!
The trade 'rumour' is that people are calling for Hamilton and that Hamilton could be traded if the Canes like what's offered.

Switch Hamilton with literally any player in the league and the same remains true. It's not any more of a rumour than a statement of fact - GM will trade player if they like the offer.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:25 AM   #3664
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Doubt Hamilton would do well under that Toronto media scrutiny!
I would suggest he doesn't do well under any scrutiny but the fact remains that the Leafs want/need a RHD
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #3665
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ferland for McDavid.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #3666
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

What is Hamilton even worth? Certainly not what he was in July.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:45 AM   #3667
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Carolina needs scoring but just gave away a bunch because they didn't want to pay them what they were worth. So my guess is they want a young player still in their ELC who has potential. But really who knows what they're thinking.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #3668
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Carolina didn't want to pay Lindholm $5M per season, I doubt they jump at the chance to take on a unproductive Neal's' contract.

Ferland is worth a very high pick as a rental, without taking salary back.

I doubt that Carolina would take Neal and Calgary's first round pick for Ferland.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #3669
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton on a 3 game goal streak now. While playing the lowest minutes of any Cane's defencemen. 14 to 17 mins a game.

They have figured it out!
Old 01-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #3670
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Still a minus in this game, showing he is on the ice for too many goals.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #3671
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
Still a minus in this game, showing he is on the ice for too many goals.
That was the trade off with Dougie though. You forgave his impotence in his own zone in exchange for offense. So far this year he's done diddly squat. At least now if he starts doing the offense thing, they won't want to castrate him when he does his thing in the defensive zone.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #3672
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Hamilton on a 3 game goal streak now. While playing the lowest minutes of any Cane's defencemen. 14 to 17 mins a game.

They have figured it out!
It was weird that he was stuck on 3 goals for so long. His shot is legit and is by far his biggest weapon. His assists totals aren’t surprising to me though, he was never a great playmaker in my eyes. Also, his +/- and what he’s done to his partner Jacob Slavin’s +/- is also not surprising. He’s a defensive liability in a lot of ways and I was always a bit confused at the people who thought he was quite good in his end.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #3673
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
It was weird that he was stuck on 3 goals for so long. His shot is legit and is by far his biggest weapon. His assists totals aren’t surprising to me though, he was never a great playmaker in my eyes. Also, his +/- and what he’s done to his partner Jacob Slavin’s +/- is also not surprising. He’s a defensive liability in a lot of ways and I was always a bit confused at the people who thought he was quite good in his end.
Gio and Chara were the Polyfilla that covered Dougies defensive holes every single game. They inflated in defensive D stats and Corsi points/flaming 7s.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #3674
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phagoof For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #3675
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
What I’m really enjoying is, after Fox refused to sign in summer for what I’d imagine was either a perceived lack of opportunity or he didn’t think the team was trending up, the Flames are now 1st in the West, with 3 rookie blue liners on the roster.

Screw you, Aaron.
I don't begrudge Adam Fox at all for seeing the situation for what it was, and making a decision that was within his best interest.

If he was even still with the Flames heading into next summer, what are the chances he would supplant one of Andersson, Kyllington, or Valimaki? The trade made sense for both sides because as good as Fox might be he was still buried behind three other young defensemen who are all better NHL players today. All three could be better players for the foreseeable future. There just was not any room for Fox—he saw that, and Treliving used the value of his fourth-best defensive prospect to help add two young, core players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 01-06-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2019, 03:21 PM   #3676
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't begrudge Adam Fox at all for seeing the situation for what it was, and making a decision that was within his best interest.

If he was even still with the Flames heading into next summer, what are the chances he would supplant one of Andersson, Kyllington, or Valimaki? The trade made sense for both sides because as good as Fox might be he was still buried behind three other young defensemen who are all better NHL players today. All three could be better players for the foreseeable future. There just was not any room for Fox—he saw that, and Treliving used the value of his fourth-best defensive prospect to help add two young, core players.
i thought Carolina's strength was defense too?

regardless, if Carolina wanted Fox as part of the deal, and there were indications he wasn't going to sign with Calgary, it made sense for BT to include him in the trade.

i was disappointed at the inclusion of Fox rather than a pick or another prospect, but really there is nothing about this trade that is bad for Calgary... Adding two core players for 6 years at contracts under 5 million is an absolute grand slam trade.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:31 PM   #3677
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lindholm: 43GP 20G 28A 48P +25
Hanifin: 43GP 3G 20A 23P +7
= 23G 48A 71P +32

Ferland: 33GP 12G 7A 19P +4
Hamilton: 41GP 6G 8A 14P -14
= 18G 15A 33P -10

And to think that in the pre-season rankings Dougie was one of the top 10-15 ranked D, meanwhile Gio wasn't even on the map. For shame.....

Hanifin has not only replaced Dougie adequately, but is on pace to outperform him this season.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #3678
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Toronto Maple Leafs: Dougie Hamilton Rumours
https://editorinleaf.com/2019/01/06/...ilton-rumours/

Quote:
Dougie Hamilton is arguably the best defenseman in the NHL. At worst, he’s in a class with Drew Doughty, Victor Hedman, Erik Karlsson, Morgan Rielly, Kris Letang and Marc Giordano.
Hahahahahahahahahaha.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to shadowlord For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #3679
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Lindholm: 43GP 20G 28A 48P +25
Hanifin: 43GP 3G 20A 23P +7
= 23G 48A 71P +32

Ferland: 33GP 12G 7A 19P +4
Hamilton: 41GP 6G 8A 14P -14
= 18G 15A 33P -10

And to think that in the pre-season rankings Dougie was one of the top 10-15 ranked D, meanwhile Gio wasn't even on the map. For shame.....

Hanifin has not only replaced Dougie adequately, but is on pace to outperform him this season.
not only that, but Brodie is back to his "usual self" this season and Hamonic gels with Hanifin as well. In one swift move, Tre found a great linemate for 13/23 and improved/fixed our top 4 D as a whole ... who would have thought?
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #3680
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
Toronto Maple Leafs: Dougie Hamilton Rumours
https://editorinleaf.com/2019/01/06/...ilton-rumours/

Hahahahahahahahahaha.
Well if he is one of the best in the game, Toronto should have know issue trading Marner for him. After all defencemen are more important then wingers, especially one of the best, Dougie Hamilton...
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote