Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2017, 11:31 AM   #221
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Lol. You do not trade a player like Eichel.

It's so obviously Kane that is being shopped here. It's possible it's a player like Pominville too, but there's no way it's Eichel.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #222
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

It's so obviously Kane that is being shopped here. It's possible it's a player like Pominville too, but there's no way it's Eichel.

Yea but if it was, it would be nice if we could get him without giving up any of the top players on our roster or our No. 1 or 2 prospects.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #223
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Sabres are second last in the league. So they are looking at Dahlin. I assume that they are in re-rebuild mode and therefore won't trade a young piece like Eichel. ROR is more interesting because he will be in his 30s by the time Buffalo succeeds in a rebuild, unless something drastic happens with their existing players. They probably are trying to unload guys like Moulson (what the hell happened to him?) or Pominville.

Maybe if they are tanking Treliving is trying to convince them to trade Chad for Lack with Chad's salary half retained.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #224
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think adding ROR with retained salary would cost you more than what the Sens paid for Duchene. Just speculating here but ROR is a young world class player locked up on a good deal. Be ready to pay through the nose to get a guy that good if he is even available
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:47 AM   #225
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

Maybe if they are tanking Treliving is trying to convince them to trade Chad for Lack with Chad's salary half retained.
The first sensible suggestion in this thread so far.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #226
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
The first sensible suggestion in this thread so far.
Why would Treliving need to watch a player that he watched all of last season?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #227
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Why would Treliving need to watch a player that he watched all of last season?
Because Chad hasn't been good this season.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:12 PM   #228
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

Sometimes it's not about what the team wants. If the Sabres keep sucking next year and the year after, I can see Eichel requesting a trade. He's already complained to the media about constantly losing.

That organization is a mess.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
nemanja2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #229
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because Chad hasn't been good this season.
True - you'd want to see if his poor numbers were him or the team.

Mind you, it doesn't explain him watching last night's game, since Johnson didn't play.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:22 PM   #230
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Mind you, it doesn't explain him watching last night's game, since Johnson didn't play.
I know, I checked too. Which could suggest other possibilities. But this one is the only one that's logical. We know Chad, we liked Chad, we need Chad back as a backup, as long as there are no hidden/bad issues.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #231
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know, I checked too. Which could suggest other possibilities. But this one is the only one that's logical. We know Chad, we liked Chad, we need Chad back as a backup, as long as there are no hidden/bad issues.
I wasn't that big on him, especially at the end of the season. But he's better than Lack.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #232
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemanja2306 View Post
Sometimes it's not about what the team wants. If the Sabres keep sucking next year and the year after, I can see Eichel requesting a trade. He's already complained to the media about constantly losing.

That organization is a mess.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
He didn't seem to complain when he signed an 8-year/$80M contract extension with Buffalo.

Eichel looks like the laziest Sabre out there half the time. Him requesting a trade would put him in a super dark light and I'm sure he knows that. The hockey world would go into a craze if he was traded.
AustinL_NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #233
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Could be to see if the team plays differently in front of Johnson . If they do it could indicate a lack of confidence from the players.
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #234
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
...But he's better than Lack.
That's it. Plus, he could be made available by Buffalo. So, a mutually beneficial trade. All the nonsense about Eichel for whatever is just... whatever.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #235
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that the team didn't try to bring Johnson back strongly suggests they didn't have confidence in him as a back-up. Now perhaps they don't with Lack either, but it would be an odd move to use assets to go and get a guy that just months ago you had decided to move on from. If they need to upgrade that position, there are probably other options they would look at.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 01:19 PM   #236
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
The fact that the team didn't try to bring Johnson back strongly suggests they didn't have confidence in him as a back-up.

Is this a 'fact' though?

It seems more likely Johnson thought he could go elsewhere to get a better opportunity to play more games after we acquired Smith.

For all we know the Flames could have made an offer to retain him as a backup but he didn't like the fit.

Seems like a bit of a leap to suggest it's factual that his signing in Buffalo means there was no faith in him here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #237
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Are we that desperate to fantasize about former flames that the crap backup is the new apple in the eye?
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #238
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe Tre is on vacation and wanted to catch a game.

LOL just kidding...I don't know if Tre has ever taken a vacation...
Old 11-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #239
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Are we that desperate to fantasize about former flames that the crap backup is the new apple in the eye?

There are huge question marks about Lack this season, and Johnson was very solid in that role last year.

Discussion in a rumour / trade thread surrounding this very team is "fantasizing" and "desperation"?

Not a good drive-by. You're slipping.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #240
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Is it fair to say that his play is actually regressing? I understand his point totals are but I have seen him gradually improving over the course of this season. I think his latest stretch of games have been night and day compared to his start of the season.

I think there is still a lot to like about him as a player. The biggest drawback would of course be the dumb penalties but he has cut down on those recently.
I think the word regression is fair. That preseason, 1 regular season game and the playoffs he had was unreal. He was one of our best forwards in the series against the Canucks. I thought for sure he'd be an absolute star first liner. Then he had a roller coaster rookie season, but by all accounts showed enough flashes for us to believe he was still trending towards 1st line capabilities. Last season was filled with struggles at center, took a lot of penalties, saw regression in points and was even scratched for a game.

This season, we've seen much of the same thing, but with even less scoring. I think the last bunch of games here with Jagr has been his best stretch of play and hopefully it continues. I'm not going to put a label on him right now because I really don't know what his ceiling is at this point, but I'm not going to set my expectations too high for the kid only to have him disappoint if he doesn't reach them.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote